Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cannot function in school

Hello
    I am a senior radiology student. I was diagnosed with IC in Sept 00. My last doctor did not do much to help. I had several hydrodistentions, but they only lasted at most 3 months and I still had pain and frequency. Then we tried DMSO. Those treatments lasted about a month at a time.

I have been in a major flare for over two weeks now. I just started on Elmiron last week. I have missed 3 days of school. I can only miss up to 4 more in the next 5 months, so I come to school when I am in severe pain. However, I can hardly function. I don't know what to do.

If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

Louise
    Louise
    West Virginia Interstitial Cystitis/Prostatitis Support Group Leader
    [email protected]

Louise,

I know you're in a hard position. My attendance is scrutinized to the nth degree... and so is my participation.

Depending on your college or university, you may have a centre for students with disabilities. In Canada they have to try to accomodate you... in my case I'm taking longer to do my degree than I should (I just got permission to drop a course today in fact). I go to class when I'm in pain, but like you, it's unproductive time. They should be able to accomodate you in some way - it's a matter of finding the services available.

Have you talked to your profs at all? I've had some good experiences and bad, but in the long run it's been worth it.

Good luck!

Liisa
    All obstacles in life are mere opportunities.

- Jesper Larson, Danish Mathematician

Comment

Hey

Thanks for your response. I have talked with my instructors. However, our school has a strict attendance policy. There are no exceptions. We must attend school 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. We were given 12 personal days at the beginning to use as we pleased. I have 4 days left. I have attended school on many days when I was in extreme pain. The only good thing is that if you miss two or more days in a row, then with a doctor's excuse, they will only take 1 personal day away from you.

I had to take a medical leave my first semester in school. That put me a full year behind. I can't do that again.

In addition to going to school 40 hours a week, I have to work 10-20 hours per week also. That puts added stress on me and makes the IC worse. I just need to find something that will make the days that I have to go to school and/or work easier to handle. I wake up every morning in pain and literally have to talk myself into going to school. I need to find something to help with this.
      Louise
      [email protected]

Comment

radstudent,

I really feel for you. Sometimes schools can be really unflexible - downright difficult at times. I know what it's like to go to class in pain each day... it's horrible, you're actually wasting your time there because nothing is sinking in. For me, part of my problem is that I have the choice of getting up every five minutes to pee or hold it which results in pain... it certainly is a catch 22. All I can do is wish you the best, I know it's hard going to school and working... I was given a huge TA assignment this semester and it really sucks... lack of sleep is a given [img]frown.gif[/img]

Good luck,
        Liisa

Comment

Hello,

I guess there are advantages to being a radiology student and working in the radiology department. After having another grueling day, I was having alot of pain tonight while I was at work. One of the technologist did an abdominal x-ray on me and I had one of the radiologist to look at it. It looks like I might have a kidney stone instead of having an IC flare.

I saw my doctor yesterday and she did a urine culture that was positive for blood. She wants to repeat it tomorrow and if it is still positive then she wants to do a CT scan. Maybe the x-ray will be enough and I won't need the CT scan.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

Louise
          Louise
          [email protected]

Comment

Louise,

I'm so sorry to hear about your kidney stone... I hope it's something that can be easily dealt with (like a stone that can be blasted as opposed to having to pass it in a whole state so to say). Let us know how it goes.

Hope you feel better soon!

Liisa

Comment

Hello,

I took the x-ray over to my doctor's office Thursday. I did not see her, but she called me. Apparently she did not see the stones. (She is my primary care physician, not my urologist.)

Anyway, I have not had too much pain today. Maybe things will look better this week. Thanks for your help this past week.

Louise
              Louise
              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X