No announcement yet.

angry about school's policy on MMR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, you just missed it. My daughter is only seven years younger than you. The entire time she's been in school, there hasn't been one chickenpox epidemic. I lived in such a small town growing up, that when the 'pox was doing its thing, entire Little League teams would have to forfeit because all their players were down. Sometimes BOTh teams had to forfeit... LOL, I swear this is a true story!

I don't remember it hitting my lycée when I lived in France, though. Maybe everyone had already had it by that age. The kids were 11 through 19 in that school, and it was huge.
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

My eldest son had chicken pox 3 times! The last time he had it, it was a family affair! First it was my youngest, then me, and then the eldest son. Let me tell you as an adult you don't want chicken pox! (I was 32 years old) I was in bed and couldn't get up for 7 days! I had to have my in-laws to help around the house which included talking me to the bathroom. The only one who didn't have it was my husband. I think he had them before when he was a kid.

Comment

My son and I got the chicken pox together when he was just six months old poor baby. Of course he was able to get the vaccine after he contracted them and it reduced the amount of them that expressed themselves. He really didn't suffer too much between that and benadryl.
        I had it far worse than he did. My entire scalp was covered in oozing scabs and I had a few on my face that left minor pock marks.

I would far rather suffer than he or any of my children any old day of the week.
        http://www.TheCraftyEwe.etsy.com

Comment

I also had chicken pox, mumps, and measles. And because our bodies can hang onto the chicken pox virus throughout life, just this month my husband and I both had shingles vaccinations to the tune of $300+ each. We absolutely don't want shingles and our insurance refuses to cover the new vaccine.

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Wow that's really cool that there's a shingles vaccine also! One of my friends is only 18 and she's been getting shingles which has led to many trips to the ER for her luckily her significant other is a fireman/EMT so he caught it quick everytime!

That's so horrible that the insurance doesn't cover it though! I really don't understand when they are so anti-preventative healthcare...... it's so much cheaper to prevent something than to have something, not even to mention that the patient wouldn't have to suffer!

I really want to HPV vaccine but it costs a LOT and I'm not sure if my insurance covers it...... I'll have to check into that one too!
            current meds:
            cytotec 200mcg twice daily
            toprol
            allegra

ONLY 3 MEDICATIONS!!! YAY! Would never have dreamed this is possible

dx: hashimoto's thyroiditis 1998
            dx: interstitial cystitis via cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy 2003
            dx: endometriosis 2003
            dx: innapropriate sinus tacchicardia 2005

meds tried but failed:
            elavil (6months)- severe tachycardia
            elmiron (1yr6mo.)- no improvement, nausea, hair loss, stomach ulcers
            a bunch of others

Me and my best friend's baby (also my Godson!)

Comment

Actually, I think your insurance probably will cover it. They would rather pay for the immunization vs. the cost of cervical cancer!

As someone who contracted hpv when I was young and then had pre-cancerous cells....I say get the vaccine!
              mom_in_ma

Comment

Hey there! I just wanted to point out that I only had one MMR shot when I was an infant. I got a seizure from the vaccine and they couldn't give me a second shot (I think there are only 2 right?). Anyways, to volunteer at the hospital, to attend a medical conference, and to enroll in collge, I had to have a MMR Titer. Basically they draw my blood and test for the antigens or antibodies. If I have them, I am immune to it. If I didn't, they would have to give me another vaccine or my doctor would have to justify no further vaccines due to seizure risk (which is most likely over since that is generally infantile reaction to MMR).

I don't know if the Titer would cost less (through your primary care physician) or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there! I see you already had the shot though... wonder if you really needed it if you had a clean Titer...
                [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

I actually did have a clean titer. My mom is on vacation overseas so I couldn't get hold of her when all of this was going on... but I spoke to her yesterday and when we moved to the US they had to do a titer to make sure that I had immunity against all that stuff........... I just wish I could have gotten a hold of her earlier. What's done is done, I guess...
                  current meds:
                  cytotec 200mcg twice daily
                  toprol
                  allegra

ONLY 3 MEDICATIONS!!! YAY! Would never have dreamed this is possible

dx: hashimoto's thyroiditis 1998
                  dx: interstitial cystitis via cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy 2003
                  dx: endometriosis 2003
                  dx: innapropriate sinus tacchicardia 2005

meds tried but failed:
                  elavil (6months)- severe tachycardia
                  elmiron (1yr6mo.)- no improvement, nausea, hair loss, stomach ulcers
                  a bunch of others

Me and my best friend's baby (also my Godson!)

Comment

Working...
                  X