Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sacausa
    replied
    I actually did have a clean titer. My mom is on vacation overseas so I couldn't get hold of her when all of this was going on... but I spoke to her yesterday and when we moved to the US they had to do a titer to make sure that I had immunity against all that stuff........... I just wish I could have gotten a hold of her earlier. What's done is done, I guess...

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    Hey there! I just wanted to point out that I only had one MMR shot when I was an infant. I got a seizure from the vaccine and they couldn't give me a second shot (I think there are only 2 right?). Anyways, to volunteer at the hospital, to attend a medical conference, and to enroll in collge, I had to have a MMR Titer. Basically they draw my blood and test for the antigens or antibodies. If I have them, I am immune to it. If I didn't, they would have to give me another vaccine or my doctor would have to justify no further vaccines due to seizure risk (which is most likely over since that is generally infantile reaction to MMR).

I don't know if the Titer would cost less (through your primary care physician) or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there! I see you already had the shot though... wonder if you really needed it if you had a clean Titer...

Leave a comment:

• mom_in_ma
    replied
    Actually, I think your insurance probably will cover it. They would rather pay for the immunization vs. the cost of cervical cancer!

As someone who contracted hpv when I was young and then had pre-cancerous cells....I say get the vaccine!

Leave a comment:

• sacausa
    replied
    Wow that's really cool that there's a shingles vaccine also! One of my friends is only 18 and she's been getting shingles which has led to many trips to the ER for her luckily her significant other is a fireman/EMT so he caught it quick everytime!

That's so horrible that the insurance doesn't cover it though! I really don't understand when they are so anti-preventative healthcare...... it's so much cheaper to prevent something than to have something, not even to mention that the patient wouldn't have to suffer!

I really want to HPV vaccine but it costs a LOT and I'm not sure if my insurance covers it...... I'll have to check into that one too!

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I also had chicken pox, mumps, and measles. And because our bodies can hang onto the chicken pox virus throughout life, just this month my husband and I both had shingles vaccinations to the tune of $300+ each. We absolutely don't want shingles and our insurance refuses to cover the new vaccine.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Moonheart
    replied
    My son and I got the chicken pox together when he was just six months old poor baby. Of course he was able to get the vaccine after he contracted them and it reduced the amount of them that expressed themselves. He really didn't suffer too much between that and benadryl.
    I had it far worse than he did. My entire scalp was covered in oozing scabs and I had a few on my face that left minor pock marks.

I would far rather suffer than he or any of my children any old day of the week.

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    My eldest son had chicken pox 3 times! The last time he had it, it was a family affair! First it was my youngest, then me, and then the eldest son. Let me tell you as an adult you don't want chicken pox! (I was 32 years old) I was in bed and couldn't get up for 7 days! I had to have my in-laws to help around the house which included talking me to the bathroom. The only one who didn't have it was my husband. I think he had them before when he was a kid.

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    Yeah, you just missed it. My daughter is only seven years younger than you. The entire time she's been in school, there hasn't been one chickenpox epidemic. I lived in such a small town growing up, that when the 'pox was doing its thing, entire Little League teams would have to forfeit because all their players were down. Sometimes BOTh teams had to forfeit... LOL, I swear this is a true story!

I don't remember it hitting my lycée when I lived in France, though. Maybe everyone had already had it by that age. The kids were 11 through 19 in that school, and it was huge.

Leave a comment:

• sacausa
    replied
    I would have liked to have the chickenpox vaccine lol! I suffered through chickenpox when I was three, along with my brother, aunt, uncle, and newborn cousin!

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    Oh, yeah, I never thought about there being different strains. Are there? Actually, though, I'm pretty sure I was in the US both times I had the c'pox. Now that they are routinely vaccinating kids, I worry less about getting it again -- from my daughter. She is vaccinated against c'pox and so are most of the kids her age. When I became a mother, one of the things I thought was, "Oh yeah, here comes my third bout with chickenpox..." The vaccine came out a few years later. Whew!

Leave a comment:

• sacausa
    replied
    One of my dad's friends had chicken pox 3 times!!! some people just never develop antibodies against it (I have to add, that the 3rd time he was in a different country so it was probably a different strain of chicken pox)

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    I actually HAD the measles, mumps, and chickenpox all at the same time, when I was ten months old. I caught them from my four year old sister. (That must have been a lot of fun for my poor mother, especially after my father came down with measles and mumps as well!) Well, I got the chickenpox again when I was ten years old, and many years later in grad school I ran into a similar policy, couldn't register for classes bc. of no MMR, so I went and got titered (sp? -- anyway, the blood test to see if you have antibodies against the disease, which means you have been exposed to it), and I was negative for both measles and mumps. So I did need the MMR.

Just today I took my daughter to her pediatrician, and they think she has mono. He mentioned that she will always test positive for mono in the future, and then my daughter said something about my having had chickenpox twice, and the pedicatrician said that is impossible. I explained that the first case was before age one, and he still insists it's impossible. But it really did happen.

Leave a comment:

• sacausa
    replied
    I had the MMR today, and my arm hurts horribly! I now know why babies scream bloody murder when they get their shots!

Leave a comment:

• sacausa
    replied
    Ok, I can admit if I was wrong!

I went to the school computer lab to go print some of mayo clinic stuff to take with me to clinic tommorow..... but being my curious self, I did more searches for "MMR under 12 months" on only .gov sites

soooooooooo a CDC site says that while children MAY be immunized before 12 months that it isn't valid....... furthermore, I found a CDC study with kids who were immunized (first dose) at 9 months vs. kids who got their first dose of MMR at 12 months...... and it has a much higher success rate in kids over 12months for the first dose....... so the CDC says that if you got your first dose before 12 months, that you should get two more after 12 months.

so I WAS WRONG

booo hooo.... now I'm going to have to get the MMR tommorow.... not only because my school wants me to, but because I don't ever want to get measles, mumps, or rubella...... and ever want to deal with not having gotten the proper MMR sequence ever again.

THE END.

Leave a comment:

• sacausa
    replied
    This school really is insane...... you'd think $42K a year would be enough to keep them happy!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X