Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried if I can handle a college course with IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried if I can handle a college course with IC?

It's only one course. And I'm technically NOT enrolled becuase I am in 11th grade.

But over the summer, July 9-20, I am taking a Japanese languae immersion course at a college that's about 45 minutes to an hour away. The class meets Monday tru Friday from 9am-2pm. Since it's only 2 weeks I think I'm going to be fine. But I have to attend EVERY class and I have to take a proficiancy exam at the end (so I CAN earn 3 college credits).

I know I'm not going to get any accomidations so that makes it hard. I'm aure I can use the bathroom when I need to though.

Does anyone who's been in a similar boat have any helpful tips for me? I would appreciate it a lot. This is something I'm looking forward to, but I'm nervous about my IC.

arigatou gozaimasu!

Medical "Issues":
    IC
    GERD
    Tachycardia(resting rate is 125-130 )
    Medicastions:
    Tramadol-as needed (IC)-50mg
    Elmiron 200mg twice a day
    Levsin .125mg 1-2 pills 4 times a day

Are you taking the class at a public college? The same rule about losing federal funding applies to colleges as well as high school. You can do well in the course. I take between 15 and 17 credit hours every semester. I would plan on dedicating all of your free time during those two weeks to studying. Talk to your professor at the beginning of the first class to let her/him know about your IC. Letting the professor know about your IC will make your life easier.

Comment

I'm not enrolled though. And I only get the credit if I pass the optional final at the end.

The college is a SUNY college (State University of NY). I think that would be public.

I don't think they will go out of their way to accomidate me. I inquired about the attendance and they said to get credit I would have to:
      a) attend all classes
      b) pass the final

So since I opted to take the final (it's not mandatory) would it be my responsibility to know my limitations?

I'm not sure if that made sence.

Medical "Issues":
      IC
      GERD
      Medicastions:

Comment

They have the right to tell you to attend all classes. That being said, talk to the professor. It isn't a good idea to miss class because you wil not be able to catch up on what you missed, especially since the class is only 2 weeks long. You can make it to class everyday for two weeks. Count down the days until the last day of class and time will fly by. You should get as many bathroom breaks as needed and extended time on tests at the very least. Your professor will not say anything about the frequent bathroom breaks because she/he deosn't want to look at or smell a puddle of urine on the floor. Janitors cover all of the classrooms in the building so they don't have a fast response time.

Comment

Dont let ic stop you from taking your class!!!

i just want to encourage you to take the course and stay positive. i have had ic for 5 years and was scared to death about how i was going to finish school and handle my ic. I finished my college with a BA in Psychology, stayed in the Military,Went to flight attendant school and went through the intense training, and now I am going back to school for the second time to be a nurse. Trust me when I say you can take one class because I got through all my classes. I had good and bad days and some bad flares in between but by listening to my doctor, staying hopeful and positive, and not letting ic control my life, i made it through. I am getting ready to go back to school for nursing and am a little scared bc it will be stressful, but i am too determined and strong willed to give it up bc of ic!!! YOU CAN DO IT, o and by the way I bet there are others in college that are going through something else and are scared like another medical problem so just remember you are not alone

Comment

Good Luck!

My IC bothered me sooo much when I was in high school. I spent the majority of my time staring at the clock waiting for the day to be over with so I could rest. I took a 3 year break before starting college, and college is going easier for me. At my college there is usually a break every hour which I always used to go to the bathroom, and that seemed to work. Of course, you always feel something. I think most colleges let you have a break every hour or so, but I could be wrong.

One thing that did help me some in high school was to watch the foods I ate. Maybe you can try that (I'm sure you already are, though) for the duration of the course. Foods that I avoided were pop, pizza, chocolate, tomatoes, anything spicy. That is so hard, though. Being a teenager and not eating pop or drinking pizza!

A side note: you must be really smart! Taking a japanese lanquage college class while in 11th grade! Good for you for even taking a course. When I was in high school I was so wiped out I had no academic ambitions. That's why it took me 3 years to go to college. Way to go, and best of luck!!
            IC
            IBS
            Depression
            Anxiety
            Bad Lower Back

Comment

I do not know if you have already taken this class, but I wanted to comment. I am not sure how NY works, but in CA I had to go thru the disibility program at the school, show them doctors records of my condition and they would give me more time on tests.
              Some instructors will not be supportive about letting you go to the bathroom during tests, this is the biggest thing. In college I love it that you can go to the bathroom whenever you want, they can't tell you no!
              You just have to watch out for running out of test time because of bathroom brakes.
              The worst is if they will not let you go, its hard to concentrate.
              I think all schools have to have disibility programs to help people out, but I am in CA, I am not sure how other parts of the country would be, we are pretty 'liberal' here.
              I don't want to die, I just want to go to the bathroom.

www.myspace.com/rockandrollclub

I am 23 and have had IC for about 3 years now.
              I have also had rheumatoid arthritis for about 21 years, I like to think I am used to pain.

I am interested in hearing from people with similar circumstances as I am in, like having IC and RA, being in college, etc. I feel it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by stacyoigirl View Post
                I do not know if you have already taken this class, but I wanted to comment. I am not sure how NY works, but in CA I had to go thru the disibility program at the school, show them doctors records of my condition and they would give me more time on tests.
                Some instructors will not be supportive about letting you go to the bathroom during tests, this is the biggest thing. In college I love it that you can go to the bathroom whenever you want, they can't tell you no!
                You just have to watch out for running out of test time because of bathroom brakes.
                The worst is if they will not let you go, its hard to concentrate.
                I think all schools have to have disibility programs to help people out, but I am in CA, I am not sure how other parts of the country would be, we are pretty 'liberal' here.
                I was thinking about asking about something like extra potty breaks. But I don't think I could get disability throu the school. Since I am not enrolled (I didn't go through the admissions process) I'm not sure that they would let me. It's a class open to anyone (any age, grade, ect) and only counts for credit if you opt for the final at the end (which I did). I think I'll ask if any accomidations could be made when it gets a little closer to the course date (July 9).

Medical "Issues":
                IC
                GERD
                Medicastions:

Comment

Well, I just finished undergrad. It was rough. I had to take my med school entrance exam during the worst month of my life. It is hard. I won't lie to you. I had to work with my professors to get through the semester. I missed a month of class when things got really bad, but some meds helped (and a handicap pass so I can park next to my classroom building when in a bathroom rush). I let my professors know before hand what my situation was and if I had to leave to use the restroom, it was not to disrespect them, it was a medical necessity. If they need a doctor note, that may help you. Because my IC started in the middle of a semester, causing me to miss a month of class, they worked with me to make up work, exams, etc. I managed to get 6 A's and a B+. I was shocked considering all I went through last semester! I start my masters program next week and it will be a challenge too. I'm still having trouble symptom wise, but not quite as bad (some things dull that "gotta go" feeling).

I hope this made sense! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! College is rough when you have to sit through exams. I had to sit through a 5 hour exam!!! Thankfully I could take a pee break every 80 minutes. I would have done better if I could think about the exam and not my next bathroom break, but I did alright.

Good luck! I wish I could have taken Japanese. My high school only offered Spanish, French, and German. Spanish is helpful, but Japanese is so interesting!
                  [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

college

Yeah I just finished a master's program last year and the best thing about college is that you can get up whenever you want and go potty. When I was in huge undergrad classes I made sure the professor knew who I was so they would know why I was getting up and leaving & coming back. No one ever had a problem with it---except me! I was always worried that people were noticing and I was self-conscious about it. I never needed extra time for tests or anything. In grad school I just let them know when I started my program that I was a "frequent flyer" and again, no one cared. And I graduated summa cum laude both times.

I sat for my professional licensing exam a few months ago and I was given four hours to take the exam. I was a little worried b/c I wasn't going to be allowed any extra time for potty breaks. The clock kept ticking while I was in the restroom. I GOT UP FIVE TIMES ! !! !

And I wasn't even there for four hours! I'm a fast reader and test taker. I finished in 2.5 hours.

No school or testing agency can ever deny restroom access though.

If I had needed more protection under the law I could have gotten it under the American's with Disabilities Act but I never needed it. Everyone was very accomodating as it was. I never even needed a doctor's note.

The hardest part part of college and IC for me was getting over my own embarassment and self-consciousness. I had to learn to get up and go pee when I needed to b/c "holding it" only made me worse in the long run.
                    Lee Ann
                    Current Rx Meds:
                    Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
                    Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
                    Hooray for babies!
                    Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
                    Didn't work for me:
                    Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
                    IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

LeeAnn, I forgot to say that my masters program is highly selective. They have hundreds of applicants and accepted 18! So... my classes will by very small some times (as we meet in our small group), then there are the large lecture halls with the med students and there I won't be as obvious. When I was in the last semester of undergrad (when IC hit hard), my professors were more than understanding. It was so wonderful how caring and flexible they were with me. I took my exams at special times, so I didn't get up in a lecture hall to use the bathroom and disrupt other students. I missed a month of school and they worked with me to make up everything. I just hope my masters program will be as understanding! Since it is a med school, I'm hoping they know what IC is and will work with me if I'm having a bad day (or few).

[

Comment

If the course is open to the public, then I would think they would have to provide accomodations in accordance with ADA and IDEA laws to anyone who enrolls. You should check with the disabilities office now; don't wait until the class starts. Probably it's better to know ahead of time what the situation will be, so you don't spend time worrying and stressing. We all know what stress does to our IC.

It sounds like a fabulous opportunity -- good luck with it!
                        Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                        Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

I would just hate to ask for special accomodations due to health problems when my professors are on the admissions committe for my first choice medical school. I don't want to make a bad impression!

[

Comment

Well technically it's not the professors that you would be asking for special accomodations. It would be the school's Office for Students with Disabilities. It would be illegal for them to discriminate against you, but I definitely understand your concern. Because they honestly just might. But like I said, I never had declare myself as a student with a disability---nor would I want to----b/c I completely agree w/ you regarding the potential for discrimination. I just mentioned to each professor at the beginning that I had bladder issues and needed to go frequently and to please not think I was being disrespectful if I got up and went to the bathroom over and over. I never gave them a doctor's note or anything. They were fine with it and very nice about it.

If you are worried in the future about sitting for your medical boards or whatever, you could file as a student with a disability at the last second before graduating med school so that you could get special accomodations during that licensing exam. That way, you might be allowed extra time to take the test. Or maybe they would allow the clock to stop ticking when you get up and go potty.

I can't remember if it was you or someone else who said they rushed through the GRE or MCAT just so they could get up and go pee. I can't remember??? When I took the GRE I was able to get up and go as many times as I needed to.......at least I think I was. I know I had IC when I took it and it seems like I would remember if someone held me hostage inside the testing room. But maybe whoever said it really needed the time and couldn't afford to get up and pee. I am really fast at tests so it wasn't an issue for me.

Anyway, the only reason I'm saying all this is b/c it seems like someone said awhile ago that they had to rush through a standardized test b/c they had to pee so bad. If you file as a student w/ a disability you would be allowed more time.

Alyssa, where are you going to school?? Where did you do your undergrad?
                            Lee Ann
                            Current Rx Meds:
                            Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
                            Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
                            Hooray for babies!
                            Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
                            Didn't work for me:
                            Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
                            IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

First Day...

today is my first day of the course. and I am in a mini flare *cringes*. it burns pretty bad when I go to the bathroom. but I DID drink 4 cans of Coke, 1 can of Sprite (which is fine for my bladder), and 1 can of CherryVanilla DrPepper...oops. I don't think it's that though. I have never really been diet sensitive in the last few months. I think it was the really hard blow I took to the stomach/bladder/pevis area. My friend had a graduation party and had a blow up jousting thingy (like you wack eachother off posts with semi soft stick things). Well my friends bf got a little rough and hit me REALLY hard in the bladder area then in the head. Needless to say-I don't think he likes me (hes the one that basicaly threw me into her day bed leaving that bruise).

Took some Tramadol, hope it works....

*crosses fingers*

I'll let you know how it goes.
                              ~gabby

Medical "Issues":
                              IC
                              GERD
                              Medicastions: