Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried if I can handle a college course with IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmmm college

You GO girl!

no seriously. Sometimes I get up three or more times during class to go. If you think the professor will have an issue, just e-mail him/her and give them a heads up about your I.C. It is kind of stupid that us I.C.ers have to constantly be explaining ourselves...but getting used to the shpeil early will be good. It took me a while to not stress about this...but I came around and so will you.
    Good Luck!
    ::HUGS::

Here's a visual of what I go through in my classes

CLASS:woohoo:BATHROOM
    Diagnosed: December '06
    Meds: Urised (looking for more non-invasive options)
    I did not have any flares in Caracas. Patch explained this phenomenon to me as a type of "reverse" healing. When all of your energy and love is focused upon abating the pain of others, you, in turn, may heal.
    "Doctor Yaso" (Caracas, Venezuela) and "bolaroja" (Lima, Peru)

Comment

Well, I had to tell one of my professors about my IC. I had to miss class (where they take attendance) to go to a doctor's appointment and my professor was very understanding. He knew all about IC (he is a pathologist). I was hoping the college of medicine would understand! LOL! He just said, "I noticed you use the bathroom a lot but I didn't want to say anything". So... other professors may have to find out... but not right now... although this professor might have (and probably did) tell them as he is the director of my program. Sigh. It's just so hard because class is 3 hours straight most days and in the fall, class will be even longer! I just hope they give us breaks, but labs rarely do!
      [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

The professors at my college don't even care...you can leave anytime you want and they act like nothing happened so don't be scared at college. Alot of professors don't care. Maybe for tests...but it depends on the professor.

Comment

Well, I finished up my course...last Friday (the 20th). Everything went fine. I was able to sit through class fine. And going to the bathroom wasn't a huge deal at all. Everytime the teacher would go to use the bathroom I would too. So it worked out well. Can't say the same for my grade. But hey, I crammed one college semester into 2 weeks (10 days).

IC can't stop me from doing what I want.

Medical "Issues":
          IC
          GERD
          Tachycardia(resting rate is 125-130 )
          Medicastions:
          Tramadol-as needed (IC)-50mg
          Elmiron 200mg twice a day
          Levsin .125mg 1-2 pills 4 times a day

Comment

Did you take 1st semester Japanese?
            日本語はどうですか?

Comment

Hi All,
              I am also in college and can say for a fact that all colleges and universities in this country have to comply with ADA and provide reasonable accommodations. IC is an ADA covered disability and the department that handles the disability claims will tell you what you need to do to get accommodations. Usually they have a form that you take to the doctor that states the nature of the disability. The department will then set an extension on your projects and tests. In my case I have an extra 5 days to submit all projects and tests. Your professors legally cannot ask you about or refuse to comply with your ADA approved accommodations. Additionally, no one can be refused for admission because of an ADA covered disability. I have had my accommodations for 2 of the 4 years that I have been in school and none of my professors have ever given me any issues.
              Hope this helps~
              Janelle
              Janelle
              I am a soul whose intentions are good.
              Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by .........*sigh* View Post
                Did you take 1st semester Japanese?
                日本語はどうですか?
                Yes I did; finished on July 20th.

私は日本語がすきです。  日本語はむずかしです㠀‚
                (hope the above text shows up properly)

Medical "Issues":
                IC
                GERD
                Tachycardia(resting rate is 125-130 )
                Medicastions: