Not a 20 something but am in college!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a 20 something but am in college!

So I have been taking prequisites for two years and just got into the local community college nursing program. Both in our orientation and on the online board the teacher has made remarks about getting up and going to the bathroom. like: "you should be able to hold it for an hour and half", or "please wait for breaks to go to the bathroom, you should be able to hold it until then". This is a very competitive/hard to get in class and I'm terrified by the thought of telling the very ornery professor that that is a long wait, especially as my IC newly diagnosed was very ticked off by the long surgery with catheter in. I was doing okay with my new meds but unbelievably all three have run out at the same time (since its taken a week to get prior authorization and now to order them). I just feel so akward with her comments if I am going to be running in and out of class but she is a RN, she should know better. I just don't know what to do about this? She even made a comment that if we can't hold it then she wants us to sit at the back so we don't disturb other students, like we are some kind of delinquents. Its just frustrating.
    Diagnosed April 2009 with stage IV endometriosis
    Hysterectomy 2009 - lost both ovaries to endo
    Dx with IC sept 6th, 2010

Current Meds:
    Zyrtec
    Flonase
    Hydroxzine
    Albuterol
    Atrovent
    Tramadol
    Ranitidine
    Protonix
    Hyophen

I can state I am not 20 something, either. Oh! I can state I am not a college student as well. I do know I have read several posts from college students by now. I know I would not want to be in your situation as an IC'er. Of course, I happen to be a male, but I have got IC. Regardless, you could sit in the back. That does not have to mean you are some kind of delinquent. Besides, I have sat towards the back of the church more than once. (due to IC) She is an RN; therefore, she may ber fimiliar with IC. Of course, I have met some nurses that had no clue about IC by now. (or how to pronounce Elmiron properly) I did notice you are at a community college, but some college students/IC'ers have gone to the disability resource center and made known they do have IC and asked to be accommodated. (if there is such a place where you are enrolled) OK. You may get other replies as well.

Comment

Reply:

Wow, she sounds like a witch!

I would confront her directly and say something like this:

"I noticed your comments about getting up to go to the bathroom. As you are an RN yourself, I'm sure you're familiar that there are certain conditions that make people need to go to the bathroom more often than every hour and a half. I have Interstitial Cystitis, which is one of those conditions, and I'd like to talk with you to work out a way for both of us to enjoy the class."

I've been in college for 2 years and never had a professor be so weird and ornery about people going to the bathroom. If I were you, I'd go when you need to go - it's not like she can kick you out. She should be very understanding once you let her know your situation.

Hope it goes well - and just remember, she can't fail you or anything for going to the bathroom. The worst is that she would be annoyed, and that's her problem for being inconsiderate and non-understanding.

Molly
      Diagnosed with IC in 2005, since then have been diagnosed with an unspecified autoimmune disease, with inflammation in my bladder, colon, left knee, left ear, left eye, lungs and pericardium. Argh!

Medical research addict.

Comment

For me, it's always a last-resort thing to tell other people about my IC. I try to find any way around it. However, this is the kind of situation where you and your instructor would be much happier and have a greater understanding if you say something. I like eyeliner's response - it's very courteous and succinct. I understand where your hesitance is coming from, but remember that this is your biological and medical right to pee.

Comment

I did tell my "nice instructor" but the other one... I have her more next quarter for longer classes so I will have to address that then for sure. I like Eyeliners response! Thank you!
          Diagnosed April 2009 with stage IV endometriosis
          Hysterectomy 2009 - lost both ovaries to endo
          Dx with IC sept 6th, 2010

Current Meds:
          Zyrtec
          Flonase
          Hydroxzine
          Albuterol
          Atrovent
          Tramadol
          Ranitidine
          Protonix
          Hyophen

Comment

Hi;

i just wanted to say congratulations to you for getting in to your nursing program; I am in a similar situation to you. I am in my 40's and started back to school taking prerequisites (I had to start back at like 5th grade math,(just seems that way) so I've been taking classes for 5 years, and now I am trying and it is so difficult and competitive to get into the nursing program at my local community college. I have applied to a couple of private schools too; but it's a waiting game, and so much more money. Of course, back 5 years ago I did not have IC symptoms so now things have changed. I have also had to leave sometimes twice or three times during a class to use the bathroom; but I have accepted the fact that it is what it is and it really is nobody's business what I am doing. I do also sit in the back of the class and always have my voice recorder going so I do not miss anything..this has been a lifesaver.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck; it takes a lot of courage to go back to school and more so when you are dealing with this unpredictable condition. I have just accepted the fact that it may not be easy, and it may be even impossible at times, but there is no way I will let this bladder get in the way of my dreams. Good luck to you!!

Nancy

Comment

Omaklackey, I thank you for posting this thread!

First off, congrats on the nursing course!
              Second! I agree that it is frustrating, aggravating, slightly embarrassing, and a whole lot of bullspit.
              I am in this same situation with my math teacher right now! Our math classes are around 3 hours long, and I am 'new' to the treatment so my symptoms are still alive and well. He threatened to drop me because I was missing classes (I had Dr.'s notes, tests, valid proof of having medical priorities) and has even told me to 'not bother' showing up to class since all I do is interrupt it. The doors to the classrooms are in the front, so I end up being the center of attention when I do get up. :/ Impossible to be an IC Ninja with that obstacle. Haha.

I love eyeliners's response, but he wants me to show proof of diagnosis. -___-

Aren't these teachers supposed to help students? Not make the semester more difficult?
              Cholecystectomy ~ April 2010
              Ulcers ~ June 2010
              IBS ~ September 2010
              Gastroparesis ~ February 2012
              IC ~ September 2011

Treatments:
              Desipramine(2x daily)
              Elmiron(100mg 2x morning/night)
              Elmiron, Lidocain, Sodium Bicarb, Sterile Water Instill (Weekly)
              Uribel(2x daily or as needed)
              Enablex(1xbefore bed)

Supplements:
              Liquid Vitamins
              MegaRed
              Prelief
              SlowFe

Comment

Student Disabilities Office

I just registered with the Student Disabilities Office at my school. See if you have that available to you. Fortunately my professors are very accommodating, but I'm really close to graduating and I didn't want anything to get in the way.
                Check out the Ann Arbor IC Support Group:
                www.facebook.com/AnnArborICSupport

Comment

Thanks. I will try that. Would I need something from my Dr. to register there?
                  Ulcers ~ June 2010
                  IBS ~ September 2010
                  IC ~ September 2011

Treatments:
                  Desipramine(2x daily)
                  Enablex(1xbefore bed)

Supplements:
                  Liquid Vitamins
                  MegaRed
                  Prelief
                  SlowFe

Comment

Sometimes you do. But you should be able to just call in and ask a receptionist or a nurse instead of having to go in. Call the disability office at your school to ask them.

Comment

Alright, reporting from my college's program for 'special' students. I have called to ask where I stand, and the lady(quite rudely) announced that only 'disabled' students can fill out for this program. Disabled students are: blind, deaf, with cerebral pulsy, learning disorders, or diseases which are life threatening.

I then asked if there was some sort of slip that I can bring to the teachers to explain that I have a condition that is not life threatening but can get in the way of my education via absences or tardies. She said that it was up to me to work it out with professors. So, anyways, I am back to square one. -__- Didn't help that the lady was all rude.

Anywho, news from my math teacher, he has officially dropped me from class due to absences. (all of these absences could be excused because they were during the three weeks of my rescue instills at the beginning of October). Still trying to get hold of him via phone and office but he seems to be MIA.

On to a lighter note.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween!
                      Ulcers ~ June 2010
                      IBS ~ September 2010
                      IC ~ September 2011

Treatments:
                      Desipramine(2x daily)
                      Enablex(1xbefore bed)

Supplements:
                      Liquid Vitamins
                      MegaRed
                      Prelief
                      SlowFe

Comment

Add this to our list of things we must continue to fight!!! A disabilities office is the last place to be discriminatory.
                        This semester I started this epically awful flare. I started instills, and I think they are helping But I have no idea what I would have done had my professors not been so accommodating. Maybe if you asked to set up an appointment...? You have an invisible disability. That doesn't mean it is not debilitating. Sounds like your disabilities office needs some social work-ing. (social work major, which could be why all of my professors are so accommodating, it's in their code of ethics to be so!)

Well, at least fill out a comment card, or call up a dean?

I'm so sorry to hear about the math class, good luck with that, I hope you are able to get ahold of him. Got your doctor's notes on hand??

Much love to my IC sister!! And Happy Halloween to you, too!

Comment

Thanks roofann! I have been making calls for the last half hour. I emailed the head of the Math Department(Thankfully, this was not my math teacher). I have also gotten an appointment with counceling, hoping they will be able to do something. I also emailed Student Services and explained to them what I am going through. I am not looking for any sympathy, but my math teacher actually dropping me is somewhat ridiculous!

VIVA LA IC REVOLUCION.

>_> Doesn't sound as good as it did in my head.
                          Ulcers ~ June 2010
                          IBS ~ September 2010
                          IC ~ September 2011

Treatments:
                          Desipramine(2x daily)
                          Enablex(1xbefore bed)

Supplements:
                          Liquid Vitamins
                          MegaRed
                          Prelief
                          SlowFe

Comment

You are welcome! It's comforting to know there is someone else out there fighting for themselves. Ironically I had an issue last night... My bladder instills really take so much out of me. It's so tiring, I get so wound up, it hurts, I'm anxious, etc. I went to class for the first time since I've started them last night, I've only missed 2 classes, and I've been trying to stay in contact with my prof as well as I can. He is not very accessible, and his mother just passed away so he's not too with it. I even found out from classmates yesterday that an assignment I turned in on Monday wasn't due for another 3 weeks! So I'm way on top of things.
                            I was able to concentrate on him when he was talking, but then we traveled back to fourth grade and he passes out a silent reading activity for us to do. There was no way I was going to be able to concentrate, so I told him I was leaving. We didn't go out to the hall, and everyone is doing the silent reading activity, and he starts asking me about possibly going to his classes during the day. He teaches the same class on a Monday/Wednesday, and Tuesday/Thursday. With my internship, class, and my instills, there is no way that would work. So he implied that I might have to drop the class!!!!!

I talked to another professor today that told me there was no way he would make me drop. She told me to explain that it was the silent reading that was why I had to leave, and make it extremely clear that I CAN DO THIS!!!

So we have a phone meeting tomorrow and I'll do just that.
                            I'll be thinking of you! Please be thinking of me!

VIVA LA IC REVOLUCION!!!! I'm totally with ya!
                            -Rachel

Comment

I am glad you have that meeting! I was quite shocked when you had said you only missed two days! :O I applaud thee! Hehe.

Update: I meet with counselor the week before Thanksgiving about the class. The Math Department has yet to answer me back. I go in person tomorrow to play with them.
                              Ulcers ~ June 2010
                              IBS ~ September 2010
                              IC ~ September 2011

Treatments:
                              Desipramine(2x daily)
                              Enablex(1xbefore bed)

Supplements:
                              Liquid Vitamins
                              MegaRed
                              Prelief
                              SlowFe

Comment

Working...
                              X