Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have the best books on IC yet?? If not, they can help!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have the best books on IC yet?? If not, they can help!

As a newly diagnosed IC patient, you're probably feeling overwhelmed. One way to gain clarity is by reading the best books on IC.

(1)The IC Survival Guide by Robert Moldwin IS the best resource on IC therapies and pain control. This is the book you take to every doctors appointment to credibility check any proposed treatments. For example, silver nitrate or clorpactin are now rarely used for IC. Just $13.99

(2) A Taste of the Good Life: A Cookbook for an IC Diet was written by Bev Laumann, clearly one of the best support group leaders in the USA. Bev's knowledge of diet is comprehensive. This book is far more than just a book with recipes. The first half provides excellent strategies for finding low acid foods, wines, coffees, etc. etc. And, there is an awesome appendix that covers vitamins and those IC friendly foods that are rich in nutrition. $24.99

(3) Confident Choices: Customizing the IC Diet is the newest book on the IC scene. Written by registered dietitan Julie Beyer, it will help you develop a very well balanced, nutritious and healthy meal plan! $20.00

(4) Patient to Patient: Managing IC & Related Conditions is the self help bible for women with IC. From hormones and allergies, exercise to sexual intimacy, author Gaye Sandler has written a truly helpful resource for patients struggling with day to day living. $14.99

(5) The ICN Special Report on Managing Flares can help you isolate what is triggering your IC flares, how to manage them and, most of all, how to prevent future flares. A lot of events can trigger bladder irritation and it takes a patient detective to manage them well. Just $12.50

Don't forget to stay informed of the latest IC resources by receiving the IC Optimist, the ICN's full color newsletter... for as little as $20 a year by email!

All of these resources and subscriptions are available for purchase in the ICN shop at: http://www.icnshop.com. We usually ship within 48 hours!

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

hi i order the inc special report for managing flares for $10 through email and i got the conformation but there was no attachment or link for me to down load it...what do i do?
    What do u do when the only person that can make u stop crying is the one that made u cry?

Comment

I use all of these books regularly! Great references
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Missdee email Jill [email protected] I'm sure she will glady help you slove this problem. As far as I know if their is ever a problem with an order from the ICN shop she does make it good. Just drop her an email or PM her threw the ICN boards. You can click on her name up above where she made this thread from their you can PM her.

Hope this information helps.
        Rhonda
        Medicine taken daily or as needed:
        1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
        2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
        3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
        4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
        5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
        5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
        6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
        7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

I received "A Taste of the Good Life" cookbook last night and couldn't put it down! Because of many food sensitivities and allergies I will use few of the recipes but I think the book is worth the cost just for the other information. The IC story of the author had me nodding my head in agreement as I read about how she approached the many issues I have been confronting. Her wisdom is helpful and comforting. Part One explained a lot of things I have been wondering about. I love the lists, the coverage of coexisting medical conditions and health and shopping tips. The problem foods section was excellent because it explains WHY some foods may cause issues. I particularly appreciated the sections on coffee and tomatoes! Yeah - maybe I can have some of my much loved and much missed foods after all. Finally, all of the contact information for support and further information about IC, coexisting conditions, food sources, and diet is priceless. I've been trying to find some of those resources for months without success.

So, thank you for recommending this excellent book. I look forward to reading the other recommended books soon.

barb

Comment

I LOVE my taste of a good life cookbook. I have learned so much from that book. I read the IC survival guide when I was first diagnosed, thats a great book. Confident choices is the book I want next.
            Thanks Jill.
            Lisa
            Current meds:Elavil, Lortab as needed, Vivelle dot hormone patch 0.1mg, estrace cream, lidocaine ointment, pepcid
            Diagnosis: IC in 1999 , IBS, Pelvic floor dysfunction, vulvodynia, vestibulitis, chronic low back pain, scoliosis, hunners ulcers on bladder, hysterectomy 2/08, fibro 3/08, sciataca

Comment

Thank you for posting all of these! I am new on here and while I was told just four months ago that I have IC, I have just recently seen a new doctor who told me they cannot know until they do surgery. That they will be able to see it if it is there. So I need to get ahold of all the information I can. Now I am worried if its not IC what is it then?!! I have alot to learn

Comment

Please add this book to the list of 'must haves' - http://www.icnsales.com/ic-naturally.html - IC Naturally by Diana Brady. I learned SO much! If you're the type who prefers to avoid prescription drugs there are many alternatives listed. Even if you're not interested in more natural remedies, there's tons of great info in this book. I highly recommend it!

Comment

I actually did not find any of the cookbooks helpful. All they did was put safe ingredients together to make more bland food. I could have done that without the cookbook. The truth is that without lemon juice, balsemic vinegar, tomatoes, spicy condiments, pepper, cooking with wine, or dressings of sorts, there really isn't a good way to make food flavorful. I was diappointed to find many recipes using apples and pears, both of which I am highly allergic to. I have better luck adapting recipes I find on Pinterest that use ingredients that are safe for me, but may not be safe for others. If you are not an experienced cook like I am or if you can't think of ideas, then it would be good for you to have these books, but if you know how to cook and you cook well, it won't help much. It just reiterates leave out "the good stuff" and that I already knew.

Comment

Re: Do you have the best books on IC yet?? If not, they can help!

Some other useful books for treating chronic illness include Mind Over Medicine by Dr. Lissa Rankin, and Clean Gut by Dr. Alejandro Junger. Specifically for IC, the best book I've come across, which is just jammed with really practical advice, is The Better Bladder Book by Wendy Cohen, RN, who suffered herself with IC and found relief from her symptoms.

Comment

Re: Do you have the best books on IC yet?? If not, they can help!

What about The Better Bladder Book: A holistic approach to healing interstitial cystitis & chronic pelvic pain by Wendy Cohan, RN. I'm newly diagnosed and it was my "bible" for those early days as I searched for answers to the basics.

Comment

Working...
                      X