Flares? How long do they last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flares? How long do they last?

I'm new and in Phase I of the IC diet. Made a mistake two nights ago and ate a burger that was grilled at home with hickory chips, also grilled acorn squash on the same grill.

After eating dinner, a little while later I started having pain and pressure. Some urge, but not bad. The next morning, I was fine for a while until I ate the leftover acorn squash at lunch. Then back and forth the restrooms several times in 2 hours.

I drank over 135 oz of water and chamomile tea yesterday and also took Tums. The Tums really seemed to reduce the burn almost immediately.

However, today, I have residual irritation. And my irritation is more around the vaginal opening. Obviously, this has something to do with my prior diagnosis of vulvar vestibulitis/vulvodynia.

So, I flare, and now the residual is vulvar pain?

What I want to know is....how long do flares usually last? I don't want to try to eat anything else until I feel better.
    Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Hi there -

It really depends on each person. When I used to flare (soda) it took 7 days. I thought I had a UTI..NOT..It was the soda. I am so strict with what I eat and drink as its not worth the pain. I hope you feel better. Nazareen

Comment

My flares always vary. That said, when I start flaring, I need to stay away from ANY triggers for awhile or I'll be right back in the bathroom in pain. It seems like when my bladder is fine it can stay fine (even with some trigger foods) for a LONG time, but if I do get a flare, I need to be EXTRA good. I'll be very sensitive (although not always flaring exactly) for at least a month to two months after a flare. To help me out, I take pyridium, drink a vanilla milkshake (crazy, I know but it does seem to help) and curl up with a heat pack.....

Comment

HI! Do you think it was the burger.....or maybe spices that were put on it?? I can't eat any black pepper.....or hardly any salt and esp. no seasonings or I'd have a major flare. Onions can also cause pain for me. It's so very difficult to figure out what causes a flare sometimes. I know I can't eat the same thing 2 days in a row if I have any notion it might cause bladder irratation. Eating it the first time......I may be able to sneak by a flare.....but eating it a 2nd time.....will do it every time! good luck to you! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
        Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
        Dx'd Hypothyroid
        Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
        June 2007
        Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
        First Cysto 1979
        First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
        Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
        Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
        Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
        Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
        Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
        Bladder surgery 2000
        Dx'd: IBS 2000
        Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
        Laminectomy 1989
        Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
        I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Thanks for the questions. They really help me to think through, but there were no spices. Just plain, natural, no solution added, hormone free ground beef mixed with 1 egg for the whole pack.

I already eat a fairly seasonless diet b/c I have to eat low-sodium. I am used to bland. However, I do like the hickory chips because they add flavor without salt.

I won't be eating anything off the grill for a while if chips are used. Just don't want to be in pain.

I might try later down the road once the Elmiron starts working.
          Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Comment

Working...
          X