Any runners on the board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any runners on the board?

I used to be a runner before all this IC stuff. I used to run 3-5 miles 3-5 days a week. I also did pilates, step aerobics, elliptical etc...

I am starting to get back to a fitness routine since I've been feeling so much better. Today I did walk/run intervals for 1/2 an hour on the treadmill and upper body/abs strength training.

I felt fine while running, but did notice my frequency was up.

Just wondered if anyone runs and how they feel. Could it do more damage than good? I love to exercise. Its a huge stress reliever for me and stress makes my IC flare much more than food ever could it seems.

I haven't been able to run in 5 months. When I try, I have to urinate instantly. If I try to ignore it, the intensity gets so strong that I start to get nautious. I can't run. I hope they can get me feeling better. I used to lift weights and run. I was lifting a lot of weights and I was training for a half-marathon. I had to stop both. Even lifting weights seem to make me worse.

I hope your exercise can continue and the frequency is just a temporary issue.
    [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

love to exercise

I am 44 and was recently diagnosed with IC. It all started very suddenly with symptoms of a UTI on December 27, 2006 (I even had blood in my urine -very scary). I was given several antibiotics but nothing eliminated all of my symptoms. My cultures never had growth and my cat scan was normal. A cystoscopy showed mild inflamation. I am now being treated for IC. I am taking 25 mg of Elavil. I am doing a little beter but still need to go frequently and usually have a stingy, gotta go, feeling in my urethra. I love aerobics and jogging. I was studying to take the AFAA fitness certification class when all this started. I am now back to jogging (slowly - I was never fast ) about 2 or 3 miles and I take step class and do low impact aerobics - no jumping jacks yet. I do not feel any worse during or after exercise and I just can't give it up. It is also my stress relief. I do worry that I could be aggrevating things so I know how you feel. But I would feel mentally much, much worse if I did not exercise. I am also putting on a little weight (possibly due to elavil) and that is very frustrating. I wish you much luck as you try to figure out the combination of things that makes you feel your best. I am still struggling to find the combination that works for me but I am trying my best to hold on to as much of "me" as possible. I do my best to act normal, hoping that I will feel normal. But I will admit that it is still a struggle. Sending healing energy to everyone on the boards...lan
      Sudden onset of UTI like symtoms on Dec 27, 2006.
      Diagnosed with IC on March 12, 2007.
      Current Meds: 50mg Elavil
      "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle" author unknown

Comment

I wish I could keep up with my exercise My problems started when I exercised and they progressively got worse from there. Sometimes the urge to urinate is so strong that I tip toe back to my bedroom on my ___th trip from the bathroom. If I walk "hard" I have to pee more. That is why it's so crippling to me. I can't even walk on campus most days. Rolling over in my sleep makes me have to pee and I wake up.

Well... I really want to try to at least lift weights, but I long to go running again! I too am slow, but I take my time and enjoy every step! I was up to 10 miles, preparing for a half-marathon. All these frequency/urgency issues has stopped that for sure!

Well, I'm so happy that you are able to still exercise! I am going to try and do something... which I agree will help me feel more like "me" and give me that "mental boost" I miss for these past 5 months!

Thanks so much for your reply! I was just put on Elmiron yesterday (100mg 3x/day). I hope I feel ok from it. I am a bit nautious (with taking it on an empty stomach), but I hope that wears off...

Thanks again! You made me want to try and find a way to exercise!

[

Comment

to born2swim

I am sorry to hear that your symptoms will not allow you to work out the way you would like to - but you are very smart to listen to what your body is telling you. And it sounds like it is telling you to take it easy for now. I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you because when my symptoms were really bad (for about 2 months) I could only do a slow walk. It was so frustrating watching the people pass me on the track. I wanted so much to run!! But you should take it easy and I hope, hope, hope that someday soon you feel more like yourself. I have not tried yoga yet but I have seen many positive posts about it. I did start out by lifting free weights and that seemed to help because I was concentrating on my working muscles and not my stinging urethra. I am so keeping you in my thoughts. Healing energy to you...lan
          Last edited by lan; 04-12-2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: grammer
          Sudden onset of UTI like symtoms on Dec 27, 2006.
          Diagnosed with IC on March 12, 2007.
          Current Meds: 50mg Elavil
          "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle" author unknown

Comment

Hi- I love to run, but stopped in fear of aggravating my bladder. When I went to my new uro-gyne, she said running was great, as long as I didn't overdo it. I have been back running about 2-3 miles 3 times a week. It is HEAVEN!!!
            I will never take running for granted again. True, I am as slow as a turtle, but I'm lovin it. I even signed up for a couple of 5K's. yeah. Nothing like a run in springtime. I also have been doing more weights and crunches. I put on about 7 pounds over the last six months since dx. Hoping to get them off in time for shorts yikes. Good luck all you fellow runners!!

Comment

I try to run about 3 days a week. I do my ab work out and then go running around a few blocks. (up and down steap hills) It's a great work out but somethimes afterwards my bladder gets angry at me and it's like HELLO PRESSURE!!! I take a pain med after running... rub some aspercream on my legs and relax with my feet up. I run mondays, weddnesdays, and fridays. It's a huge stress reliever for me. I used to smoke about 3 years ago but now I run. Much healthier! haha

Hugs
              Rach
              ***Rachel***

Dance like no one is watching
              Love like you've never been hurt
              Live today like it's your last

Dxd with IC in June '06

Comment

I run/eliptical 4x week and strength train with weights 3x week. It helps me to sleep. My bladder is in continuous pain, so I notice no worsening. Darn I can't wait for the pt exercises to help the pain, and the interstim trial/implant to help the peeing. I am a mess

Erika
                IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
                Interstim Since 5/25/07!
                Birth Control

Comment

Thank you so much! It can be so bad that I tip toe around in hopes that I stop that "pee now" signal. I know there isn't anything there, but that signal is frustrating. I work in a doctor's clinic 1-2 times/week. The doctor knows what is going on and I see patients, pee, patients, pee. If there is a long break between patients, I pee 2-3 times. It's frustrating as hell, but everyone there understands my situation. Going to class is a different story. It's hard to sit there all day in class, on hard chairs, crossing my legs in hopes to stop that signal. Most of my professors understand and work with me. I can't do the walking around campus bit though. I even have a special parking pass to park near my classes, across from a building with a bathroom. That is not what the typical college student thinks about.

Well, thanks again! I'm really glad you can still run. I know some day I will get there... I was just hoping it would be here now. I will try weights though.

[

Comment

It's great that activity doesn't make you worse, so exercising is great to help you burn some steam off. I need it! I can't be active or the frequency/urgency is unbearable. I can't really walk without noticing it worsen. If I don't drink, it's a little more tolerable, but not drinking and exercise is a bad combo.

Boy, I hope you start feeling better soon! You sound like you are in a tough place!

[

Comment

Hi Everyone!

Turnaround - I hear ya! I gained exactly 7 pounds since I started having trouble in November. My spring clothes WILL NOT fit if I don't loose it. 7 pounds doesn't sound like a lot but I hold it all in my belly. YUK.

Since there are quite a few exercisers/runners we should start a daily thread for motivation and to track how we feel. Anyone interested?

I walked at 4.0 on an incline on my treadmill for 50 minutes last night and then did about 20 minutes of pilates arms and abs. No pain, but the wierdest thing....I felt "numb" vaginally...seriously, like novacaine numb. Isn't that ODD? I'll take that over pain anyday though LOL!!
                      PFD is s-t-r-a-n-g-e!!

Tonight I plan on exercising again. I used to be a morning exerciser, but I'm finding now 7pm is a good time b/c hubby is home to hang with kids and Days of Our Lives is on at 7pm on soapnet!

Comment

I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU! That's awesome. I've never been a big runner, but I did jog before my wedding to get in the best shape I could. I have had IC for couple years almost. I can't run, but have just started walking. It makes me feel good. I have run a bit alongside my dog as we're walking.
                        You're pretty inspiring. I'm going to try to jog this weekend if I have a stretch were I feel good enough. Keep it up!

Comment

Soccermom-I ran 2 miles this afternoon. It's so beautiful out-cold, but beautiful. I walk every morning on treadmill for 20 min. and then do weights and ab work---and boy do my abs need work!!! I watch E news at 7:00a.m. before work, so the time flies. I am going to be running a couple 5 K's in May, so I will be working my way up to 3.2 miles. Very hilly by me, so good for training. Monday starts pretty strict training diet-trying to cut down on carbs since the Elavil has created a sugar monster in me. My self control is shot, but will give it another try. I am menopausal, so I need all the will power I can get to keep weight in check. Good luck with your workouts-you rock.

Comment

I can relate to needing some ab work! I haven't done any sit-ups for over a year and I used to do like 150 a day. I am not sure I'd ever be able to make it up to doing a marathon. It used to sort of be a goal of mine before IC. Have you done many in the past? My sister and I did a 3K jog many years ago. It was so fun!
                            Oh, and I'm a big sugar tooth. I gained about 5 pounds last week because I threw my friend a baby shower and got left with half a cake. It was carrot cake which is my favorite. I ate like 2 slices a day, raisins walnuts and all. I really need to stick to a good diet. It's hard to give up so many good foods isn't it?

Comment

Turnaround you are doing great! I would love to do a 5K...it was a goal of mine as well before IC hit. So you walk in the morning and run in the evening?

My abs need work too. They were flat but now I have a tummy from the 7 pounds. I have a crazy sugar monster right now too..... I guess its all the meds. I've been eating healthy, whole grains, tons of veggies and fruits. I allow myself though a treat after lunch and dinner. So for lunch today I had a whole wheat pita with 2 TBSP hummus and a few slices of tomato and cucumbers. Following that, I had one of those snack packs of Hostess 100 calorie cupcakes. For dinner I'm having a sweet potato, veggie stir fry and some tofu. I'll definitely have something sweet after - I like those weight watchers chocolate cakes that are under 100 calories. Allowing myself these sweet treats during the day seems to be the only way I can keep my calorie count in check and not obsess over sugar, LOL!!

Glad there are so many of us on the board that have exercise in common no matter what form it is!!! Its nice to focus on something positive and not always about IC.

Comment

Working...
                              X