No announcement yet.

Any runners on the board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are the workouts going? It rained all Sun. and Sat. I was hurting, but I walked with my dog. I think I want to get a pedometer to see how far I'm walking.
    I'm trying to think of some activities I can do this summer. Last summer, I didn't do much at all. I was living in an area that wasn't good for bike riding, but now I'm in a residential area.
    I think I'll be houseboating. So, there'll be some swimming. I don't think I can wake board though. I tried it once when I was perfectly healthy and still couldn't get up on the board. ha ha
    Any ideas for mild work outs? Anything that doesn't strain the midsection.

Comment

I've found elliptical trainers to be a good alternative to jogging. The bounce and impact of jogging bothers my bladder, but when you use an elliptical trainer, you get the same motion as jogging, but without the constant impact of your weight slamming against the ground (ouch). We own an elliptical and the cost was well worth it...it's an easy and painless way for me to keep in shape.
      I have: Interstitial Cystitis,Eustacian Tube Dysfunction, IBS, Sciatica.

I take: Elavil 50 mgs, Balziva birth control, and Elmiron instillations.

I am: Not my disease.

My Myspace Page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=4249067

Comment

luv to run...

Hi, I as well used to be a long distance runner since high school. I continued to run untill the diagnosis of IC last Dec at the age of 40. Needlesss to say, when I attempt to do even a short 2 miler I get horrendous bladder spasms shortly there after. I have begrudgingly switched to a more low impact machine like the eliptical or stepper. I seem to do better on those then the tredmill. I miss my long distance runs very much but atleast I can still do cardio in other ways. I have found that doing a fast walk on high incline on the tredmill is also a great cardio. Swimming is a fun cardio too. I refuse to give up being in great physical shape because of IC. I have learned everything I possibly can to manage my pain, urgency and frequency with diet and using elavil and adarax. I also use Prelief with my meals and take Cystoprotek to hopefully rebuild the epethelial lining of my bladder. Evian water (high PH) is drank regularly through out the day. I think with this regimine I am feeling better than ever since that dreadful day of diagnosis in December of 2006. So explore other low impact cardio machines before giving up on exercise.
        Much luck.
        Peace
        Danica

Stopped taking Elmiron for the time being-- could not tolerate side effects

ADARAX 25mg at night and at times morning
        Calcium mag citrate w/ vit.D
        Prelief 8 to 10 a day
        Cystoprotek 4 a day
        MSM

~God's mercy and grace are infinite~

Comment

How much is an eliptical? I think running is out for me. My husband and I just bought our first house and are on a tight budget. It would be great to find one used.

Comment

I am able to do a low impact slow jog, but my symptoms are currently in my urethra. I can understand that you would not want to jog if you have bladder symptoms. I listen to my body. It's funny - A slow jog around the track feels ok, but jogging in place is too much bounce. And I'm afraid to try the jump rope. I was just starting to get good before the IC hit. It was so much fun to alternate between jogging and jumping (with my ipod) in a single workout. I hope that I can jump again someday I hope that we can all jump again someday Sending healing energy...lan
            Sudden onset of UTI like symtoms on Dec 27, 2006.
            Diagnosed with IC on March 12, 2007.
            Current Meds: 50mg Elavil
            "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle" author unknown

Comment

Rachel~ I too was an active runner and weight lifter. Just last year I had an MRI done and found that I have a bulge on my L5 S1 region that has the nerve bundle that is attached to all the lower pelvic organs including the bladder. I firmly believe my back injury ( due to heavy weight lifting and high impact running that causes spinal compression) has triggered my IC (not caused it because I have always had the predisposition to bladder infections). I think it is no coincidence that I got this disc bulge and now since then I have been diagnosed with IC. I have been seeing my chiropractor doing spinal decompression and adjustments and they have tremendously lowered the pain level in my lower back and hip and pelvic region. Also, I do back stretches to keep my spine open so that there is little compression of the nerves that leads to the bladder. I have stopped running all together but have switched to an eliptical machine which is low impact. Over all, the imflammation, spasms, urgency and frequency is lessened. If I test the waters and run my bladder spasms up pretty quick. so I do know that running is out of the question for indefinite. Good luck.
              Peace
              Danica

Prelief 8 to 10 a day
              Cystoprotek 4 a day
              MSM

Comment

Ian~ Jumping is definitely out of the question for me too. I was on the trampaline with my nephews and after a few minutes my bladder spasmed. I have come to really like my new workout routine though. I first do lots of stretching especially for my back to decompress the spine. Then I use the eliptical for 2 to three miles. After, I stretch again and then I go to the nautulis (sp) equipment ( no longer using free weights because I have to strain my pelvic region to intensely) for about an hour. After, once again I do a final stretch of my back. So far this routine has worked well and haven't had any real flares from it. It feels so so good to be fit again. Good luck.
                Peace
                Danica

Prelief 8 to 10 a day
                Cystoprotek 4 a day
                MSM

Comment

Re: Any runners on the board?

Ugh. After 20 years of not bring able to tolerate anything but walking on ground (no treadmill) and swimming (boring), thanks to pelvic floor therapy I started hula. I have been doing it about 14 months and love it. I was feeling stronger and added zumba. Lots of zumba. I have been in heaven for 2 month. Then the bladder bomb went off. I can only guess it was just too much. Unfortunately, no warning. My inflammation and symptoms are back off the charts. Three weeks in flare, no better but getting worse despite going back to bland diet and low activity.

Absolutely frustrated! I felt I was getting command of my life back, loving the endorphins, and finally shedding some pounds. Now I am not even feeling good enough to be away from the house long enough for a walk.

Sorry to share my problems. You know how it is with family who don't understand. Thanks
                  Laura D. in Florida

Share your poems and art about living with IC, and your IC-friendly recipes at www.art4ic.com

IC since 1994: primarily utilize herbal/natural treatments due to intolerance to many medications. Daily: Marshmallow Root Tea, Hormones, Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe Vera, Claritin, and relatively strict adherence to IC Diet.

Comment

Re: Any runners on the board?

Originally posted by lauraads View Post
                    Ugh. After 20 years of not bring able to tolerate anything but walking on ground (no treadmill) and swimming (boring), thanks to pelvic floor therapy I started hula. I have been doing it about 14 months and love it. I was feeling stronger and added zumba. Lots of zumba. I have been in heaven for 2 month. Then the bladder bomb went off. I can only guess it was just too much. Unfortunately, no warning. My inflammation and symptoms are back off the charts. Three weeks in flare, no better but getting worse despite going back to bland diet and low activity.

Absolutely frustrated! I felt I was getting command of my life back, loving the endorphins, and finally shedding some pounds. Now I am not even feeling good enough to be away from the house long enough for a walk.

Sorry to share my problems. You know how it is with family who don't understand. Thanks
                    I was physically fit, active, practiced and taught Yoga, lifted weights, walked faster than anyone else on the track, did a lot of aerobics, rode a bike, swam.....I loved the endorphins too and I really liked thinking that if I ate healthy food and worked out that I would be healthy.

Alas, IC has me gently walking and that's about it. I can't bounce around, can't even imagine a bicycle seat, I don't do exercise classes anymore. So, in short, I understand and empathize with you completely!!!

Here's to support among us who understand!!!!! Hope you get better soon and back to Zumba-ing.

Comment

Working...
                    X