• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clevsea
    replied
    Re: Any runners on the board?

Originally posted by lauraads View Post
    Ugh. After 20 years of not bring able to tolerate anything but walking on ground (no treadmill) and swimming (boring), thanks to pelvic floor therapy I started hula. I have been doing it about 14 months and love it. I was feeling stronger and added zumba. Lots of zumba. I have been in heaven for 2 month. Then the bladder bomb went off. I can only guess it was just too much. Unfortunately, no warning. My inflammation and symptoms are back off the charts. Three weeks in flare, no better but getting worse despite going back to bland diet and low activity.

Absolutely frustrated! I felt I was getting command of my life back, loving the endorphins, and finally shedding some pounds. Now I am not even feeling good enough to be away from the house long enough for a walk.

Sorry to share my problems. You know how it is with family who don't understand. Thanks
    I was physically fit, active, practiced and taught Yoga, lifted weights, walked faster than anyone else on the track, did a lot of aerobics, rode a bike, swam.....I loved the endorphins too and I really liked thinking that if I ate healthy food and worked out that I would be healthy.

Alas, IC has me gently walking and that's about it. I can't bounce around, can't even imagine a bicycle seat, I don't do exercise classes anymore. So, in short, I understand and empathize with you completely!!!

Here's to support among us who understand!!!!! Hope you get better soon and back to Zumba-ing.

Leave a comment:

• lauraads
    replied
    Re: Any runners on the board?

Ugh. After 20 years of not bring able to tolerate anything but walking on ground (no treadmill) and swimming (boring), thanks to pelvic floor therapy I started hula. I have been doing it about 14 months and love it. I was feeling stronger and added zumba. Lots of zumba. I have been in heaven for 2 month. Then the bladder bomb went off. I can only guess it was just too much. Unfortunately, no warning. My inflammation and symptoms are back off the charts. Three weeks in flare, no better but getting worse despite going back to bland diet and low activity.

Absolutely frustrated! I felt I was getting command of my life back, loving the endorphins, and finally shedding some pounds. Now I am not even feeling good enough to be away from the house long enough for a walk.

Sorry to share my problems. You know how it is with family who don't understand. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Danica
    replied
    Ian~ Jumping is definitely out of the question for me too. I was on the trampaline with my nephews and after a few minutes my bladder spasmed. I have come to really like my new workout routine though. I first do lots of stretching especially for my back to decompress the spine. Then I use the eliptical for 2 to three miles. After, I stretch again and then I go to the nautulis (sp) equipment ( no longer using free weights because I have to strain my pelvic region to intensely) for about an hour. After, once again I do a final stretch of my back. So far this routine has worked well and haven't had any real flares from it. It feels so so good to be fit again. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Danica
    replied
    Rachel~ I too was an active runner and weight lifter. Just last year I had an MRI done and found that I have a bulge on my L5 S1 region that has the nerve bundle that is attached to all the lower pelvic organs including the bladder. I firmly believe my back injury ( due to heavy weight lifting and high impact running that causes spinal compression) has triggered my IC (not caused it because I have always had the predisposition to bladder infections). I think it is no coincidence that I got this disc bulge and now since then I have been diagnosed with IC. I have been seeing my chiropractor doing spinal decompression and adjustments and they have tremendously lowered the pain level in my lower back and hip and pelvic region. Also, I do back stretches to keep my spine open so that there is little compression of the nerves that leads to the bladder. I have stopped running all together but have switched to an eliptical machine which is low impact. Over all, the imflammation, spasms, urgency and frequency is lessened. If I test the waters and run my bladder spasms up pretty quick. so I do know that running is out of the question for indefinite. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• lan
    replied
    I am able to do a low impact slow jog, but my symptoms are currently in my urethra. I can understand that you would not want to jog if you have bladder symptoms. I listen to my body. It's funny - A slow jog around the track feels ok, but jogging in place is too much bounce. And I'm afraid to try the jump rope. I was just starting to get good before the IC hit. It was so much fun to alternate between jogging and jumping (with my ipod) in a single workout. I hope that I can jump again someday I hope that we can all jump again someday Sending healing energy...lan

Leave a comment:

• ABliske
    replied
    How much is an eliptical? I think running is out for me. My husband and I just bought our first house and are on a tight budget. It would be great to find one used.

Leave a comment:

• Danica
    replied
    luv to run...

Hi, I as well used to be a long distance runner since high school. I continued to run untill the diagnosis of IC last Dec at the age of 40. Needlesss to say, when I attempt to do even a short 2 miler I get horrendous bladder spasms shortly there after. I have begrudgingly switched to a more low impact machine like the eliptical or stepper. I seem to do better on those then the tredmill. I miss my long distance runs very much but atleast I can still do cardio in other ways. I have found that doing a fast walk on high incline on the tredmill is also a great cardio. Swimming is a fun cardio too. I refuse to give up being in great physical shape because of IC. I have learned everything I possibly can to manage my pain, urgency and frequency with diet and using elavil and adarax. I also use Prelief with my meals and take Cystoprotek to hopefully rebuild the epethelial lining of my bladder. Evian water (high PH) is drank regularly through out the day. I think with this regimine I am feeling better than ever since that dreadful day of diagnosis in December of 2006. So explore other low impact cardio machines before giving up on exercise.
    Much luck.

Leave a comment:

• megancolleen
    replied
    I've found elliptical trainers to be a good alternative to jogging. The bounce and impact of jogging bothers my bladder, but when you use an elliptical trainer, you get the same motion as jogging, but without the constant impact of your weight slamming against the ground (ouch). We own an elliptical and the cost was well worth it...it's an easy and painless way for me to keep in shape.

Leave a comment:

• ABliske
    replied
    How are the workouts going? It rained all Sun. and Sat. I was hurting, but I walked with my dog. I think I want to get a pedometer to see how far I'm walking.
    I'm trying to think of some activities I can do this summer. Last summer, I didn't do much at all. I was living in an area that wasn't good for bike riding, but now I'm in a residential area.
    I think I'll be houseboating. So, there'll be some swimming. I don't think I can wake board though. I tried it once when I was perfectly healthy and still couldn't get up on the board. ha ha
    Any ideas for mild work outs? Anything that doesn't strain the midsection.

Leave a comment:

• soccermom32
    replied
    Turnaround you are doing great! I would love to do a 5K...it was a goal of mine as well before IC hit. So you walk in the morning and run in the evening?

My abs need work too. They were flat but now I have a tummy from the 7 pounds. I have a crazy sugar monster right now too..... I guess its all the meds. I've been eating healthy, whole grains, tons of veggies and fruits. I allow myself though a treat after lunch and dinner. So for lunch today I had a whole wheat pita with 2 TBSP hummus and a few slices of tomato and cucumbers. Following that, I had one of those snack packs of Hostess 100 calorie cupcakes. For dinner I'm having a sweet potato, veggie stir fry and some tofu. I'll definitely have something sweet after - I like those weight watchers chocolate cakes that are under 100 calories. Allowing myself these sweet treats during the day seems to be the only way I can keep my calorie count in check and not obsess over sugar, LOL!!

Glad there are so many of us on the board that have exercise in common no matter what form it is!!! Its nice to focus on something positive and not always about IC.

Leave a comment:

• ABliske
    replied
    I can relate to needing some ab work! I haven't done any sit-ups for over a year and I used to do like 150 a day. I am not sure I'd ever be able to make it up to doing a marathon. It used to sort of be a goal of mine before IC. Have you done many in the past? My sister and I did a 3K jog many years ago. It was so fun!
    Oh, and I'm a big sugar tooth. I gained about 5 pounds last week because I threw my friend a baby shower and got left with half a cake. It was carrot cake which is my favorite. I ate like 2 slices a day, raisins walnuts and all. I really need to stick to a good diet. It's hard to give up so many good foods isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• turnaround
    replied
    Soccermom-I ran 2 miles this afternoon. It's so beautiful out-cold, but beautiful. I walk every morning on treadmill for 20 min. and then do weights and ab work---and boy do my abs need work!!! I watch E news at 7:00a.m. before work, so the time flies. I am going to be running a couple 5 K's in May, so I will be working my way up to 3.2 miles. Very hilly by me, so good for training. Monday starts pretty strict training diet-trying to cut down on carbs since the Elavil has created a sugar monster in me. My self control is shot, but will give it another try. I am menopausal, so I need all the will power I can get to keep weight in check. Good luck with your workouts-you rock.

Leave a comment:

• ABliske
    replied
    I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU! That's awesome. I've never been a big runner, but I did jog before my wedding to get in the best shape I could. I have had IC for couple years almost. I can't run, but have just started walking. It makes me feel good. I have run a bit alongside my dog as we're walking.
    You're pretty inspiring. I'm going to try to jog this weekend if I have a stretch were I feel good enough. Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• soccermom32
    replied
    Hi Everyone!

Turnaround - I hear ya! I gained exactly 7 pounds since I started having trouble in November. My spring clothes WILL NOT fit if I don't loose it. 7 pounds doesn't sound like a lot but I hold it all in my belly. YUK.

Since there are quite a few exercisers/runners we should start a daily thread for motivation and to track how we feel. Anyone interested?

I walked at 4.0 on an incline on my treadmill for 50 minutes last night and then did about 20 minutes of pilates arms and abs. No pain, but the wierdest thing....I felt "numb" vaginally...seriously, like novacaine numb. Isn't that ODD? I'll take that over pain anyday though LOL!!
    PFD is s-t-r-a-n-g-e!!

Tonight I plan on exercising again. I used to be a morning exerciser, but I'm finding now 7pm is a good time b/c hubby is home to hang with kids and Days of Our Lives is on at 7pm on soapnet!

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    It's great that activity doesn't make you worse, so exercising is great to help you burn some steam off. I need it! I can't be active or the frequency/urgency is unbearable. I can't really walk without noticing it worsen. If I don't drink, it's a little more tolerable, but not drinking and exercise is a bad combo.

Boy, I hope you start feeling better soon! You sound like you are in a tough place!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X