Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Positive Broth - Infection Noticeable in Blood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a cause

I have noticed that most of the people on this site have cats and dogs. Maybe we picked up a microorganism from the cats or one of their flees. We should send our lab work to our local vet and see what he comes up with. Cheaper than the doctors office and they would be looking for different bacterias. I'll pass on the chewy treat though. Just kidding!!
    Cathy

Itching like mad with a possisble yeast infection or could be something new.

Comment

Bacteria isolated by good culturing

The connection with bacteria to chronic bladder symptoms has long been debated. All of the research I have seen (and sponsored) has shown Enterococcus to be the most common via broth culturing and molecular testing (PCR). Unfortunately the commonly used agar plate does not always find it since it is slower to grow and there are often fewer colonies that don't meet the criteria arbitrarily set to define infection. UTIs are the only infectious disease I know of where a "colony count" is used.

Yes, many have bacteria without symptoms but that is true in other diseases such as stomach ulcers. I have read as many as 30% of the population has H. pylori in their stomach but one 20% of these develops an ulcer. There are other factors that determine whether an active infection will develop.

Many say they notice improvement on antibiotics and the one study done testing their use showed 48% improved, and that was without knowing what bacteria might be present. A culture can show definitively what bacteria are there and which antibiotics will be effective.

Here is the abstract from a study done in Canada. Gregor Reid, PhD, one of the inventors of FemDophilus, is an author of this study. It shows Enterococcus to be the second most prevalent of UTI pathogens isolated in a suburban population studied:
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Western Ontario.

Urinary tract infections (UTI) are a common reason for patient visits to the family physician. The following study was carried out during one month in 1989 and one month in 1996, whereby urine specimens from adult females (living in suburban areas of Toronto, Canada), with presumed signs and symptoms of UTI, were processed. The pool of 20 infecting uropathogenic species was relatively unaltered over the seven years. Most isolates were Gram negative pathogens (72% in 1989; 76% in 1996), with Escherichia coli the most common (56.5% in 1989; 61.9%, in 1996), followed by Enterococcus faecalis (17.4% in 1989; 9.47% in 1996).

PMID: 12735807 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently found an abstract of new research on "Viable but Non-culturable" bacteria done in Italy. Although the abstract doesn't state this they used an isolate from a patient with a UTI according to the complete article. It turned out to be Enterococcus faecalis. Bacteria are able to go into a state called VBNC when they are stressed or in an unfriendly environment. Inflammation would be one condition that is unfavorable. They are hard to culture in this state, but it is still possible for them to resuscitate and infect. The researchers did find some antibiotics that could prevent resuscitation. There is still much research to be done on bacteria in the urinary tract but slowly but surely the data is mounting.

For those who are interested here is the site. I purchased the whole article since it is new and exciting research:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/lin...0.2007.01345.x

I know this scientific jargon isn't for everybody but unfortunately we have to do much of our own reading and searching to find answers. I think the doctors would be happy to have an explanation for symptoms and it is really just a matter of good lab work in order to find hard-to-isolate bacteria.

Martha

Comment

I'm very upset, my broth came back w/ ecoli, but my urologist says a broth isn't accurate. That's BS! I know ecoli can invade the bladder lining, duh! Why don't dr's give you what you need. A wk. of macrobid will not conquer all of the ecoi. I am looking for a new urologsit in the los angeles area. Any help please!

Comment

Hi Martha,
          My culture came back w/ ecoli and strep B. My twin came back w/ ecoli and strep D. Our urologist lied to us. I'm ****** angry upset and very emotional. I feel like there is no Dr. that wants to help us. My uro doesn't understand that I need a long term antibiotic treatment. Any suggestions from anyone out there.

Comment

You could ask your urologist to do a repeat culture.

Donna
            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Boukie,
              I was how you and your twin are feeling now? Did you or are you guys doing the antibiotic treatmen? I am so confused on this and am not sure what to believe since they don't know what causes this. Did you find this by way of the broth culture?
              thanks,
              Brenda

Comment

broth

We have not done the antibiotic treatment yet. Yes we both did the broth and thats how we found out we had bacteria. If we have not done the broth we would of never known. Anyways, we meet w/ Ruth on frid. I will let you know how that goes.

Comment

treatment

We will start the antibiotics within the next couple of wks. We are getting the cd 57 test, which will determine whether or not we need to do the lyme disease test. Strep B is usually a layered bacteria, which means once you take anit, the first layer will be gone, but yet the next layer usually is strep d. We met w/ Ruth and she is very helpful. I would do the broth culture it wont hurt anything.

Comment

Boukie,
                    I would like to e-mail you, I have some infor I received I want to give to you. What are your symptoms? Did you send in your culture from a catheter and overnight it? How long did she say you would need to be on the antib? I'm so tired of the pain! My e-mail is [email protected]. If you e-mail me direct I can get back to you directly. Did Ruth tell you that she had mostly success with her patients? I wish there were some to talk to that she had treated, ya know? Do you live in her vicinity or something?

Comment

Working...
                    X