Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe stabbing pain....question

Hi!
    I've been on the boards for a while, and recently I've been doing really well. Today, out of nowhere I got pain right in my bladder area that literally knocked me off my feet. I was on the couch, with the heating pad and I took Vicaden and Pyridium. It felt like I was being stabbed 1000 times. I could not stand up. I literally had to focus on my breathing - it was like labor when you are dialated to 8 I swear. I couldn't have the tv on or hear any noise...I was in SO MUCH PAIN. The pain lasted 1 hour - then subsided of for the next 30 minutes, then BAM went away as suddenly as it came on. Thank God it went away - I felt like my insides were being ripped out.

My question - is IC pain like this for anyone else?? I had no frequency/urgency or burning like so many people describe during a flare. I feel like others on this board don't describe what I feel like. How can I feel like this at times, have IC, and not have regular IC symptoms or diet sensitivities? Could THIS still be my PFD? I did have internal massage much earlier in the day. That usually makes me feel better though, not worse.

Any insight is welcome. Today was scary......it was the worse crippling pain I ever felt besides all natural childbirth. If this would have happened in public, a stranger would have had to call an ambulance!!!

I'm sorry, I wish I had a sensible answer for you, but I just saw your post and wanted to reach out. It could be IC -- I'm beginning to think anything can be IC -- but if it happens again, I'd speak to the doctor.

It does sound like it could have been a spasm. I have had some that were so bad they nearly knocked me down (and I've been through all natural childbirth too, not exactly by choice, but I know what you mean ). And yes, they are worse, but mercifully shorter. I've had spasms in the bladder and in the urethra (those are even less fun).

So, I guess I'm saying, yes I think it could be a bladder spasm but I also think that if it happens again you should call your doctor. I don't know what else it could be, but they're doctors, they're supposed to know things like that.

Take care of yourself.
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Hi there,

I would put that event on the calendar and just keep track of it. If it happens again, you should call your doctor.

That said, I do get a stabbing pain now and then in my bladder area...enough to stop me in my tracks. I don't have any lingering effects though. I wonder if others have this. I never thought to ask about it before.
      Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
      IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
      IC Diet Website
      For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
      Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
      Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
      IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Sounds like a PFD spasm to me... and I agree with Julie, track this and also tell your PT and MD about it. Maybe she tried something new with the therapy that made you more vulnerable that day. Or it could be that your body was more vulnerable today.

I've had what I call "bend over and screamers" that I also associate with bowel cramping. Usually happens if I've eaten chocolate which is why I don't eat chocolate at all.

Jill
        Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

I'm with the others who responded --- if it happens again, definitely call your doctor. We have a tendency to blame any pain on our IC, but that's not necessarily the case every time. It's best to check it out.

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi Everyone!
            I saw my doctors nurse the next day for an instillation. She was confused as to how severe it was considering how well I've been doing. She said, "are you SURE it was your bladder?" Oh, yes. My bladder was screaming. On Monday, the doctor filling in for my doctor is going to do an internal exam to check things out.

I've generally been doing well since. I feel a little "flary" but nothing horrible. I am due for my period on Monday, so I also wonder if this feeling is cycle related.

That pain was intolerable. I hope it never happens again. I do have severe PFD Jill so who knows. My muscles get very tense, tight and spasmatic down there - perhaps PT started the problem that day.

I thank God for these boards. I wouldn't be able to go through all this without all of you who understand. Your wisdom, experience and support is so greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Comment

Re: Severe stabbing pain....question

Originally posted by soccermom32 View Post
              Hi Everyone!
              I saw my doctors nurse the next day for an instillation. She was confused as to how severe it was considering how well I've been doing. She said, "are you SURE it was your bladder?" Oh, yes. My bladder was screaming. On Monday, the doctor filling in for my doctor is going to do an internal exam to check things out.

I've generally been doing well since. I feel a little "flary" but nothing horrible. I am due for my period on Monday, so I also wonder if this feeling is cycle related.

That pain was intolerable. I hope it never happens again. I do have severe PFD Jill so who knows. My muscles get very tense, tight and spasmatic down there - perhaps PT started the problem that day.

I thank God for these boards. I wouldn't be able to go through all this without all of you who understand. Your wisdom, experience and support is so greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
              I know this is an older post but I am so glad I found this today. I have experienced this numerous times but the worst time was on New Years Eve. I went to Emerge but I had a doctor who was clueless about IC. My pelvic floor is currently in a mess so now it is all starting to make sense.

Current Meds:
              1 Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
              1 Cimetidine 300mg 2x a day
              4 Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day (3600mg)
              1 - 2 Atarax 25mg at bedtime
              1 baclofen 10mg 3x a day as needed
              200mg of Pyridium 3x a day (usually do in cycles - on for a week or two as needed) - I am very careful about this.
              2 belladonna and opium suppositories as needed for pain daily.
              Bladder instillations (Lidocaine, Heparin, & Sodium Bicarbonate)

I have tried but failed -
              lidocaine instillations, heparin instillations, oxybutynin by mouth also called ditropan, tylenol 3s with coedine, cyclobenzaphrine, Ativan, vesicare, Oxytrol patches worked for 3 to 4 years and then failed, I tried Uracyst and had some success but my urologist felt that it was not successful so we moved on to trying something else. .
              [/I]

Comment

Working...
              X