Lines for public restrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lines for public restrooms

I have just been diagnosed with IC 4 weeks ago. Already I have had a couple of times where I had to wait in a long line to go to the restroom. By the time I got to go I was is so much pain I could'nt hardly walk. Any one else had this happen to and any suggestions on what I can do. Thanks

HI! Sorry to hear you were diagnosed with IC but glad you found us here on the webstie.
    If you pay to join this site one of the perks you get in the welcome package is a IC restroom card that explains that you have IC and need to use the restroom often.....that might help the next time you are in a line.
    I hope that helps you........and you enjoy and learn a lot about IC from this site! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

I too have the Restroom Access Card. I have never had to actually use it, but I keep it in my bag anyways because I am sure it will come in handy. I have never used it because I usually ask to cut the line, and if they deny me anyways then I try and explain the (IC) situation. If that all fails and the mens room if empty, my problem is solved!!!
      IC Awareness

Comment

Usually if you simply say you have a painful bladder disease, folks will let you ahead of them.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

oh this is AWFUL!! i've had that happen a few times (2 weeks ago actually) and i was in so much pain i cried after coming out of the bathroom. no one cared that i "couldn't hold it".

on a side note, when i was pregnant w/my son and eating at a restaurant, i naturally had to pee. there was only ONE STALL OPEN and the woman in front of me took a look at my belly and said 'gee i know you're pregnant but i just can't hold it. sorry.' (rather rudely). grrr. so this nice gentleman came up to me and said 'don't worry, i will help you' and let me use the men's room (he stood "watch" to make sure no one else went in!).

tracy
          (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

Actually, you can get the restroom access card without paying to be an Angel Subscriber if you cannot afford that -- just go to the ICN Shop, and look for "Restroom Access Card." You can buy one for a dollar or two.

I had to use one once... Hubby and I were on a car trip and driving through a pretty rural area. I really had to go and there was only this small appliance shop around. We went in there and Hubby asked for a bathroom for me because I could hardly talk from pain and urgency.... they said no. Hubby got ****** and told them about IC, and the woman had the audacity to say, "Well, do you have proof??"

I pulled out the Restroom Card, and she backed down right away....
            Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
            *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
            *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
            *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I don't have this card, but only had this problem once, (when I was at a baseball game (of course! when the lines are longer in the women's line than the men's!) but usually the lines are not too long where I go, at the most I have to wait only a few minutes.

Comment

Hey,

I have had a number of annoying situations with IC, and I don't have the card yet but I think I need to get one.

Situation #1: I was in line with a woman with a cane, I DESPERATELY had to go and the only stall open was the disabled stall. I was inline before her and so I go towards the ONE OPEN STALL. She says "excuse me, I'm disabled thats the only stall I can use." and I told her I TOO am disabled in that I have a painful bladder disease and can't hold it.." well it turned into a big thing and made me really mad... She actually had the gall to say "You are a healthy young lady, there is no way you have any bladder problems and if you have to go that badly its your own fault for holding it...." (I'm 24) It made me SO MAD... She ended up getting the stall and I almost peed my pants. My husband said no matter what I should have gotten the stall since I was first, but whatever.

Situation #2: Airplanes. I'm always asking to sit in the aisle seat and I'm always placed elsewhere because I'm 5'2" and "short enough to sit comfortably." Drives me crazy.

Situation #3: On vacation I'm frequently told restrooms are for "Employees only" When I was in Hana Hawaii (a town in the middle of nowhere) EVERY BATHROOM IN TOWN WAS EMPLOYEE ONLY!!! no public restrooms anywhere. I was desperate, finally a gas station attendent felt sorry for me as I was obviously in pain... I was so mad. The attendent later told me that they used to have public restrooms but they were so poorly maintained that the town closed them and every establishment made it employee only to keep their own bathrooms clean...

Comment

Airplane aisle seat for women, even petite ones - Yes!

After seven years of dealing with IC/constant urgency and chronic pelvic pain, which made it essential to travel long distances for medical care, I have learned even a 63", 114 pound woman deserves to have an aisle seat. A woman deserves an aisle seat even if she isn't sick, needs to go to the bathroom constant and is in pain from sitting on the airplane. If we reserve the seat or come early to board and get the best seat selection, then there is no explanation required even to a 6'3" 250 pound male. We planned ahead and took the effort to make the trip a comfortable ride and every other passenger on the plane can do the same. As for the situation of being asked to move at the last minute you have an illness which in a lot of cases causes you to be disabled (yes I hate to say that word!) and the ADA covers us with or without a card, but is best to have one. If you have a medicare card that will work or a private disability documentation, even a note from a doctor on a short presription pad, although, this sort of documentation shouldn't be nec.

As stated before it has taken me years to drop the guilt and claim my aisle seat, please don't wait as long as me! Take you rightful place and don't feel one bit bad about it! I have taken way too many trips stuck between people needing to stand up and/or go to the bathroom on an airplane, then not being able to or being too embarrassed to disturb them. Who paid? Me with a huge flare and hours suffering in my hotel room. Really it was all silly and I was stupid to take so long to realize it! If anyone knows where brain transplant are available, please private message me. LOL!

ads

Originally posted by lnseagraves View Post
                  Hey,

I have had a number of annoying situations with IC, and I don't have the card yet but I think I need to get one...

...Situation #2: Airplanes. I'm always asking to sit in the aisle seat and I'm always placed elsewhere because I'm 5'2" and "short enough to sit comfortably." Drives me crazy. ...

Comment

Working...
                  X