Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medication Problems

Hi All,

I was just diagnosed with IC last week and was prescribed Elmiron (don't want to take it,), Elavil 25 MG, Sanctura twice a day and Atarax twice a day.

In place of the Elmiron, I am taking Cystoprotek.

Now the problem, my pulse is racing and my blood pressure is up. I have been switched to Enablex in place of the Sanctura but so far it hasn't helped with my blood pressure and my rapid pulse. Should mention this is my first day with the Enablex. I have noticed that in the evening my pulse and blood pressure return to a more normal rate. Of course, it is then time for Elavil and Atarax. I take the Enablex in the morning with my first dose of Atarax.

When I notified the urologist, he stated that none of the drugs he prescribed would cause high blood pressure and a racing pulse. I spoke to my PCP and he is the one who changed me to Enablex in place of Sanctura. The urologist also never told me a thing about IC.....just handed me the prescriptions after the cyscopathy and walked away. I am seeing another urologist in Pittsburgh the end of May. Just don't have a good feeling about the one who diagnosed the IC. If it weren't for sites like this, I would still be wondering the IC is.

Just wondering if any of you have been prescribed any of the above drugs and had a similar reaction.

Thanks,

Fran

I take elavil and atarax, I have not had any problem with blood pressure. Did you tell your doctors you are taking cystoprotek? They need to know everything you're taking so they can make a good evaluation. Maybe the cystoprotek isn't good with your body chemistry. There are other OTC alternatives to elmiron, like aloe vera and cystaQ. Have you tried stopping the cystoprotek to see if anything happens?

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with the urologist. It sometimes takes a few tries to find the right person to treat IC. Unfortunately, a lot of us have been there too. I hope you can find a better doctor, and solve the mystery of the racing pulse.

Keep us posted!
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Carolyn

Hmmm, logging on makes a big difference when you are trying to send a message!!!!! Live and learn.

No, I did not tell my urologist about the CystoProtek......I just know he wouldn't approve. When I asked his nurse about it, she cut me off real quick. I got the feeling that if it wasn't a prescription they wouldn't discuss it. As I said before, he seems to be a man of few words. I did tell my PCP about CystoProtek and he said to try it. I will certainly tell the new urologist that I see the end of this month I am taking CystoProtek.

My high blood pressue and racing pulse started before I started the CystoProtek. I am still only taking one pill per day. I think I start two pills tomorrow.

I did notice in my first post that I said I was diagnosed with IC last week. In reality, it was 26 days ago.

After reading many posts here, I feel very lucky that I have only pressure and frequency. Who knows what the future will bring, but at least I will have knowledge about what may happen to me.

Fran

Comment

I had soaring blood pressure with elavil. And you do need to let your doctor know everything you are taking.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I had terrible anxiety & racing heartbeat with Atarax. Tried it twice, nearly a year apart & had the same thing happen each time. My pharmacist said it is a reaction sometimes seen in children, less frequently with adults who take Atarax. Sometimes a pharmacist is a very good resource for questions about side effects & can make suggestions for discussion with your doctor.

You definitely need to be able to communicate with your doctor & if you don't think you can work with him & be honest about what you want to do & try for your own condition, perhaps it's time for a second opinion.
          Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
          I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
          Source - Pinterest
          "

Current treatments:
          -IC diet
          -Elavil 50mg at night
          -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
          -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
          -Pyridium if needed,
          -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
          -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
          -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
          -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
          -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
          -Managing stress= VERY important!
          -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

On elavil, I had autonomic neuropathy meaning a huge variation in blood pressure when switching ones body from lying, sitting and standing. It can cause dizziness and fatique.

The Detrol type drugs (the others weren't out years ago) did cause my heart to race and probably raise my blood pressure, which in turn caused more urgency. Whenever my heart races the urgency gets worse. It is like putting the body in a state of stress. I don't know why I reacted that way, but Detrol made me worse. (I didn't dare tell the doctor because he would have though I was crazy.)

I hope you get this resolved quickly.

ads

Comment

Your symptoms sound like a side affect of elavil or the atarax. It's important to talk to your doctor.
              mom_in_ma

Comment

Medication comparison re. side effects

I have a book called "The V Book: A Doctor's Guide to Complete Vulvovaginal Health" by Elizabeth G. Stewart, and it has some pretty good information. There's a chart on page 311 with tricyclic anti-depressants and their side effects. I showed it to my doc, who specializes in vulvodynia, and he took a photocopy of it for his records. I have sinus tachycardia (my heart races and then regulates itself) so I was worried about taking one of the medications that tends to increase the heart rate. According to the book, Elavil has a strong tendency to make the heart rate increase, but also a strong tendency to make the blood pressure drop, so maybe your BP increase is due to something else. Here's the chart:

Generic Name Tendency for dry Sedative Tendency for Tendency for
                (Brand name) mouth, flushed effect slight drop in slight increase
                skin, constipation blood pressure in heart rate

Desipramine
                (Norpramin) Mild Mild Mild Mild

Nortriptyline Mild Mild Mild Mild
                (Pamelor)

Amoxapine Moderate Mild Moderate Moderate
                (Asendin)

Maprotiline Mod. Mod. Mod. Mild
                (Ludiomil)

Trazodone Mild Mod. Mod. Mod.
                (Desyrel)

Imipramine Mod. Mod. Mod. Mod.
                (Tofranil)

Doxepin Mod. Strong Mod. Mod.
                (Sinequan)

Amitriptyline Strong Strong Mod. Strong
                (Elavil)

Comment

oops!

I just saw that the pretty table I created got all messed up when it was posted. So, here are the categories in order: 1) Tendency for dry mouth, flushed skin and constipation 2) Sedative effect 3) Tendency for a slight drop in blood pressure 4) Tendency for a slight increase in heart rate.

The ratings (Mild, Moderate and Strong) all stayed in order in the last post.

Comment

Elmiron caused my heart to race! ALso, whenever you are trying a new meds, you should only try one at a time so you know which is bothering you. Also, sometimes just mixing two dofferent meds can cause a reaction. I would call the pharmacist and ask them about the side effects, they seem to be more knowledgable about this than doctors are.

One thing I have learned, medications can cause all sorts of reactions. Just because it is not typical, it does not mean it cannot happen. I mean I would think that if you did not have a racing heart or high blood pressure before taking these meds, then it is likely the meds causing it, or one of them, or the mix of them. I would call the pharmacist and talk to him/her and then get back to your uro and tell him what the pharmacist said, especially if these are possible side effects, even if they are very rare.
                    Jen

Comment

Is Effexor not on the chart? I thought it was a tricyclic antidepressant. I've been taking it for 6 months or so. It seems like way more people are taking Elavil.
                      Good luck with the meds. I had to go to the ER when I started mine. I kept vomitting over and over and over and couldn't stop. It was pure stomach acid at the end. I've never been so sick.
                      So, I had to stop all my meds. Then, the next day I took none and when I started them again my heart raced from the Effexor. By the next day, I was okay. My body had to adjust to it - I took the 35 and stepped up to the 70. Some of these meds are hard core. I don't know what my doctor was thinking starting me out on the 70.

Comment

Just wondering, why don't you want to take Elmiron? I was on a combo of it and Elavil and it did wonders for my IC. I was in remission there for a while (maybe a flare or two a month and could eat more IC diet restricted foods with no problems) I only went off of it because Hubby and I are hoping to get preggo soon, but I plan on asap getting back on it. (urgency and frequency were my main issues too. I would definetly tell your dr that you are taking cystoprek, he may have thought that those meds wouldn't make your heart race, but not knowing that you're on the cystoprek could be a factor in that. Hope you're feeling better.

Comment

Medication Problems

Hi,

In my Nursing 2006 Drug Handbook it lists tachycardia (fast pulse) and hypertension (high blood pressure) as possible side effects of Elavil. Talk to your pharmacist and your doctor. Maybe you would be OK on a smaller dose. Also, it is a good idea to start new medications one at a time, so it is easier to identify which medication is causing the side effects.

Kathy

Comment

Medication Problems

I had the same reacton to enablex. I also had the same reaction to Sanctura. I was told by the ER Dr. that they had the same compund in them. I stopped taking it. I only took 1 pill of Sanctura which I had a very bad allergic reaction. But tell your Dr. & if they don't listen talked to your pharmacist they know which drugs react to other drugs & if your pharmacist is like mine he has a record of what drug you have problems with.

Comment

My urologist has already stated that he doesn't believe anything I am taking could cause high blood pressure and fast pulse. I was not taking CystoProtek when my problems started. Unfortunately, you never get to talk to the doctor. You must go through his nurse. I asked for an appointment and was told I didn't need one. This guy is really not for me!!!
                              I wish that were not the case but he truly doesn't believe the drugs he prescribed to me could cause my problem. I just don't feel like getting into an argument with him.

Actually, I did start the drugs one at a time. I gave each one a two day trial and things seemed to be okay. Perhaps it is a combination of all of them. I really hope the Atarax isn't the problem because I think it is helping me the most.

Yes, I have talked to my pharmacist and they first thought it was Sanctura...that is why I am on Enablex. MY PCP is the one who prescribed Enablex. The pharmacist also stated that Sanctura would be in my system for about 5 days. She also told me not to quit the Elavil cold turkey. She suggested I cut the dose in half and go from there if I want to quit. I will see my new urologist the end of May and I will tell her everything I am taking.

The reason I do not want to take Elmiron is two fold. From what I have read the success rate isn't to great. The other reason is I have an auto-immune disease which goes hand in hand with Alopecia. I am afraid once the hair loss starts I won't be able to stop it. I know it sounds crazy but I just can't make myself take Elmiron.

Thanks to all of you for your messages. I will keep you posted as to what happens to me.

Fran

Comment

Working...
                              X