Diagnosed last week but knew I had IC for months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosed last week but knew I had IC for months

I am so happy I finally stumbled across a message board with people who actually have IC. My issues started in December when I had to be rushed to the hospital by my husband with acute pain in my side. It was a kidney stone and my health went downhill from there. I am 33 and never had any problems except maybe a sinus infection or two.
    A week after the kidney stone I felt intense pressure and pain in my bladder and could hardly squeeze any urine out so I thought UTI and went to a urologist. She said it did not look like a UTI but she started me on 10 day Cypro. After this it was one long line of antibiotics I did not need and questions she could not answer. I got a yeast infection with my first round of Cypro and I never got rid of it and my new Urogynecologist and I are now trying probably the last thing since I took everything else to kill a yeast infection and now I am on Boric Acid suppositories. I pray they work. The Urogynecologist starting out saying I had pfd and fighting my yeast but last week when I kept on insisting about the urgency/frequency in my bladder now she says I have IC and need to start Elmiron. I really do not have alot of pain just the awful frequency. I go pee, a little comes out, 15 minutes late I feel like I have to pee again and I try to hold off at least to 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. What else do you guys recommend I should start with. I do have some issues of pain/burning around vulva and vagina but I am not sure if those issues are IC or they will lessen when I get the yeast under control. Any reccomendations would be appreciated because after all the doctors I have been through there is no doubt in my mind you guys know more than most of the doctors out there.
    Sincerely,
    Tina

I started my symptoms in January and my urologist told me in March that he thought that I had IC. He started me on Elmiron and Hydroxzine (it calms my bladder at night so I can sleep). I am also on the IC diet and taking Prelief. Do you for sure have yeast? Have they found it on your tests? I have been itching and burning on my vagina about every other week. When I went into the gyno he could not see any yeast, but I also had dried up blood in there and he said that could block him from being able to see it. I have been taking estrace cream on the outside and replens for the inside. He told me that it looks like I am dry and that might be what is causing my itching and burning. I did that for a week and was fine. This week started and I began burning and itching again. I am ovulating this week and wonder if this is hormonal at all. I have been taking diflucan for three days now and have started to feel better. I have also read that Elavil helps with burning problems down there and am going to ask my doctor in June if he will put me on that. Sorry for rambling...hope this can somewhat get you started. Have you also tried cold packs down there? I also squirt water down there every time after I use the restroom, I think it is helping.
    Diagnosed with IC - March 2007
    Diagnosed with vulvodynia - June 2007
    -Lots of prayer
    -Taking Elmiron and Hydroxzine (stoppped because of pregnancy)
    -Taking Prelief as needed (stopped because of pregnancy)
    -IC diet

Comment

I to have thought I do not have a yeast infection but I have gobs of white curd like stuff coming out of me for three months. The first gynecologist I went to said yeast when she looked under microscope but when it came back from lab work she said no yeast. I said, so what is that stuff and she answered I don't know. The urogynecologist I am going to now told me after she sent it out and it came back negative that negative culture does not mean a thing, that it is yeast and they do not test for all types of yeast when they send it out. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Comment

HI! So sorry you have IC it's such a pain! Have you tried Azo? it's over the counter and really helps with frequency and urgency. Also sounds like you need Elavil. It's a prescription and helps TREMENDOUSLY with frequency. Elmiron helps with rebuiding the muscu lining of the bladder......it takes around 6-9 mo. before you start seeing results......but hang in there.
        We have a great site here......lots of great info and ladies to chat with. Good luck.....you can PM me when ever.......Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
        Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
        Dx'd Hypothyroid
        Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
        June 2007
        Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
        First Cysto 1979
        First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
        Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
        Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
        Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
        Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
        Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
        Bladder surgery 2000
        Dx'd: IBS 2000
        Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
        Laminectomy 1989
        Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
        I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Working...
        X