physical therapy treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• physical therapy treatment?

I was just diagnosed this past Week following a cysto/distention.
    I have opted for physical therapy treatments in place of medication.
    I am now taking hydrocodone for pain and discomfort, which seems to do the trick for about 4-5 hours. Enablex has also helped to limit frequency.

Has anyone had success with physical therapy? I will begin treatments in two weeks.
    I would love to hear any recommendations......and support, my family is having a hard time understanding this condition.

neseil

Diagnosed with IC May 7,2007
    First "Flare" February 2007......

I think it is good that you are going to try the PT. This may help you some, but I really think you will still need some other sort of treatment for the IC along with the PT.
    As far as trying to explain this disease to your family, this is tough because so many people really dont understand this disease, and it is not that common I guess. My suggestion would be to gather as much info as you can on the disease and maybe have your family look over it (if they are willing to). This could maybe give them some insight on this disease.
    Good Luck with the PT and hope this works for you.
    Jen

Comment

PT?/reply

Thanks for your reply......
      I'm going to give PT a try, hopefully I will be able to get relief without the meds, it may be unrealistic but it's worth a shot.
      I did pick up Dr. Moldwin's "The interstitial Cystitis Survival Guide", thought it would help my husband as well as myself.

What medication are you taking,if any? Have you suffered from bad side effects? I'm so afraid of weight gain and hair loss, not to mention the "hangover" like symptoms from anti-depressents.

Thank you again....I have a feeling this web site will be my saving grace!
      Neseil

Comment

I tried physical therapy and it didnt' help me much. I felt a little better after, but it wasn't the extended relief from symptoms i was hoping for. I mostly have bladder pain though. The test for Pelvic floor dysfunction showed my mucsle tention to be normal.
        Good luck with you treatm,ents/.

Comment

Hi Neseil.
          There are different meds that they use to treat IC. I unfortunately have alot of side effects from the meds due to my other health issues with my stomach.
          There is the Elmiron that helps some. It does not cause hair loss in everyone. I know a lady who had been on it for over three years and never lost any hair. That is suppose to be a rarer side effect, though it does happen to some people.
          There is also other meds like atarax which is a antihistamine type med that has helped some people. I took it for over a couple months and did not get any relief so I quit taking it.
          There are also some who take the antidepressant elavil which also helps with pain, and have had very good results with it. There is also baldder instillations which some here do. I am doing the bladder instillations using heperin,lidocaine, and saline and it seems to help me some. I am going this route since nothing else has helped me and because I do not tolerate the meds for the most part.
          Physical therapy can help you alot if you problem is mainly pelvic floor dysfunction. Now if your pain is mainly in your bladder, you likely wont get much help from the PT. The Physical therapist should be able to tell you whether or not you have pelvic floor issues. But The physical therapy is definitely worth a shot. I hope it works for you.
          Jen

Comment

I have been taking Elmiron for almost a year and had maybe some strands of hair fall out in the beginning. It's not noticable though and I have always had super thin hair. It's the only med specifically designed for IC. I also take a potassium pill Uricit -K to alkalize my urine. Then, there's Effexor, a tricyclic anti-depressant to help with painful nerve signals.
            I take MS Contin (use to take vicotin) for pain and then fiber to counteract the side effects. I've tried Aloe, Cycta-Q, and CystoProtek. Unfortunately, even with the diet, I still have a lot of pain. I'm hoping in a year I will be able to go off the pain meds!!!! I tried installs too. I only got relief for an hour of 2 with those.

Comment

Hi

Hi Neseil,
              I highly recommend the IC information booklets sold in the IC Network shop. They are $10-$12 but very worth it. They have a lot of good information about treatment strategies and pain. Plus, this is a great place to get advice from people who know how IC feels. I was diagnosed 4 years ago. My biggest regret is that I didn't deal with my IC more aggressively in the beginning. I didn't want to take medicines, etc, and now I think it was a mistake. I feel like I got a lot worse and now there is permanent damage b/c my bladder scarred over and lost a lot of elasticity. So my advice is to be open to anything that will help you get this under control in the early stages. About Elmiron and hair loss---I didn't lose any hair but the drug just didn't seem to work for me. So after a year I quit taking it. It's definitely worth a try. Good luck to you and I'm sorry for your diagnosis.
              Lee Ann
              Current Rx Meds:
              Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
              Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
              Hooray for babies!
              Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
              Didn't work for me:
              Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
              IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Re: physical therapy treatment?

Hi guys, I was just dignosed w pfd and maybe ic.. Did your physical therapy help.. Any one symptom free from physical therapy

Comment

Working...
                X