Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it common to have increased frequency during that time of the month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it common to have increased frequency during that time of the month?

It seems that during my period I have increased frequency, but the rest of the time it has seemed to lesson since I have been taking elmiron and following the ic diet.

yes!

I definitely find my frequency goes up w/ menstruation! I think it is the hormones that cause it to get worse. I recently went off birth control (hoping for a baby) but it was great b/c my doctor allowed me to take it continuously---which prevented me from having a period all together!! I would spot occassionally but taking it like this prevented me from having a bad week once a month. I would stop for one week every six months and have a period. I did this for four years and it was awesome. Now I just have to suffer it out, lol.
    Lee Ann
    Current Rx Meds:
    Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
    Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
    Hooray for babies!
    Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
    Didn't work for me:
    Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
    IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Thanks for responding and good luck ttc. I seem to so fine the rest of the time, but when that time of the month comes around, watch out. It also seems like it takes a longer to come down. I feel like I am going to have my period, but it takes longer to come(past 28 days). I wonder if the elmiron is causing it to be thicker(sorry I know that is kind of gross). I Just have my aches and pains before it comes, then after it comes, I have frequency and a little burning.(sorry so graphic).

Comment

hey

Don't be sorry. We talk about all this stuff here on these boards. I recently discovered that I tend to get the burning sensation when I eat spicy foods, nuts or peanut butter. So now I avoid those foods. But sometimes I ignore "the rules" or just plain don't know the ingredient is there. So if I get the burning sensation an ice pack works great. 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off for one hour helps tremendously. Sometimes I even fall asleep on top of an ice pack! As for the thicker period....I don't know. The year I did Elmiron I was on the bcp continuously.....but come to think of it, the few periods that I did have *were* thicker. Enough thicker to actually remember that from 4 years ago. I wrote it off as a fluke, but hmmm, maybe you're onto something.
        Lee Ann
        Current Rx Meds:
        Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
        Hooray for babies!
        Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
        Didn't work for me:
        Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

Yes, they are thicker and the longer it takes to come the worse I feel. I wonder what could help with that. I wonder I the elmiron coats other places like the wall of the uterus as well as the bladder and that is what is happening.
          What do you take in place of the elmiron? I take Aloe vera gel. I noticed that you take dried aloe vera, I wonder what the difference is.
          Gwen

Comment

aloe

Dried aloe vera (taken in capsule form) is supposed to work like Elmiron by rebuilding the bladder lining. I am supposed to get a new script for Elmiron---my doc is working on prior authorization---b/c I decided to try it again. I tried it for one year after my diagnosis and it didn't seem to help. But I admit that, at that time, I was in complete denial that my diet had anything to do with my IC. Now that I have totally stopped coffee, tea, and soda I am hoping that Elmiron will be able to do it's job without me dumping painful substances on it daily. I'm very hopeful that this time will be different.
            Lee Ann
            Current Rx Meds:
            Hooray for babies!
            Didn't work for me:

Comment

Originally posted by GWENDOLYN View Post
              It seems that during my period I have increased frequency, but the rest of the time it has seemed to lesson since I have been taking elmiron and following the ic diet.
              I had lost my packet of BC and there was no way to get it for 2 days. So of course, I had my period. It was easily one of the worst times for me. I had the worst flares during that week - from now on, I swear to never, ever forget my pill!

Comment

Working...
              X