Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theclownster
    replied
    Hi there! I'm sorry you had such a difficult experience. It can be yucky when you are sitting there and the only one not enjoying the great food you used to be able to eat.

My approach is pretty blunt. I'm honest, but keep it short and sweet. I usually tell people that I have a bladder condition that keeps me from eating certain foods. If I eat them, I'm miserable for hours and possibly days. i'm firm when I say it and then might make a comment that I wish I could partake, but I can't.

I've always been a very picky eater (all my life), so I've always ordered food different than most - so maybe I'm just used to be different and it's easier for me to be more direct. I'm also very fortunate because my symptoms are regulated with medication, so I can eat most things in moderation. However, there are still some definite no no's. Before my symptoms were regulated, I had to be a little bit more disciplined and carried my bottle of prelief with me everywhere. I'm also very lucky, because most of co-workers get it and know that I have restrictions.

I hope you find a way that works for you that will help you in these situations. Good luck the next time you encounter a situation like this!

Take care,
    Jennifer

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    I also say the allergic/sensitive to foods thing & then I change the subject, so no one gets too nosy. (And I skip parties if I feel like I'm not up to facing it, which sometimes I'm not).

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I just say I'm allergic/sensitive to many foods. If I say it with a smile, nobody questions it.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• mom_in_ma
    replied
    i expain it as food allergies or sensitivities. People seem to get that and accept it with no problem.

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    I'm not as diet sensitive as a lot of people, so I can eat some things, so it just depends on what it is, bbq-probably not; but most of my co-workers know what I have so they try and order something that I can eat.

Leave a comment:

• L. Thomas
    replied
    I don't have problems with food sensitivities but when I try to explain IC compare it to being diabetic. This is a disease with no cure, only treatment. I have to do what works to control the symptoms. I tell them IC is like bloodshot eyes (or conjunctivitis) of the bladder.

Leave a comment:

• GriffsMommy
    replied
    Just say I have some diet restrictions and I can't have anything acidic/spicy. That works for me alot. I just give people enough info to staisfy them w/o them getting weirded out.

Leave a comment:

• almaarlt
    started a topic How to explain disease/diet

How to explain disease/diet

I hit a low point on Tuesday when my department had a birthday lunch for some coworkers. They ordered in spicy barbecue and sides like coleslaw and beans – nothing IC-friendly. I was stuck buying my own lunch – a dressing-less salad – from our lunchroom. A couple coworkers (who don’t know about my IC) made jokes about me getting such a healthy thing to eat when they had ‘good’ food. It was hard enough to sit through the lunch munching on plain lettuce while everyone went on and on about how delicious the food tasted (and it smelled SO good!), but having to explain to everyone a million times why I couldn’t partake was tough.

How do the rest of you field questions from other people about your disease? This was just one of many times I’ve been in this position, and just wish I could say something ‘easy’ like I’m diabetic. I think people would understand that better, instead of getting grossed out when I start talking about my bladder…
Working...
X