Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mild IC?

Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone out there feels as though they have a rather mild case of IC? Sometimes I am still in denial that I have IC, because my symptoms seem rather mild. I am concerned if I have been mis-diagnosed, or if I am blessed with a mild case?
    I was wondering if any of you feel you have a mild case, and what your symptoms are exactly? As well, has anyone started off mild and progressed, or have any of you remained mild since your diagnosis?
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond... Im rather new to this and still dealing with a whole lotta confusion about this disease.
    Hope this post finds everyone having a very good day

"Its a troublesome world all the people who're in it
    Are troubled with troubles, almost every minute
    Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky
    Some people are much more, oh muchly much more
    unlucky than you!" Dr. Seuss

Definitely. Many people have mild cases. I developed IC when I was 12, but it was very mild. In fact, it was so mild that--after being told by a few doctors that it was a UTI--I just ignored it for almost 10 years; I just thought I had a "weird bladder." I went about my normal life, ate whatever I wanted, and felt fine 90 percent of the time. It always stung a bit when I urinated and sometimes I would be in pain afterward, but it was sporadic and easy to ignore. Unfortunately, mine did progress pretty suddenly when I was 20. I'd say I have a moderate case now. But don't let the fact that my IC progressed scare you--most people don't progress. It's very possible that you will always have a mild case.
    I have: Interstitial Cystitis,Eustacian Tube Dysfunction, IBS, Sciatica.

I take: Elavil 50 mgs, Balziva birth control, and Elmiron instillations.

I am: Not my disease.

My Myspace Page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=4249067

Comment

I guess you could say I am mild... in that I don't have pain (except for with my period and running). It is not mild in how much it disrupts my life. I have a severe problem with urgency/frequency. I would say I have moved on from denial to resistance. I don't want to accept I have IC, especially when they still want to do exploratory surgery for endometriosis (which they said is likely). I guess in August, my resistance will be eliminated if they find nothing with surgery or amplified if they find something! LOL!
      [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

I Agree With MeganColleen

I was mild for many years with the occasional "I feel like I have a UTI" feeling. Otherwise, I ate what I wanted, had sex with no problems and had long remissions.

Fast forward 30 years. I now consider myself a "moderate" case. I have to watch everything I eat and actively do something about the chronic pain.
        Diagnoses: Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (2012),Interstitial Cystitis (2003), Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia (2003), GERD (since ?), IBS (since ?), Low Blood Volume (2006), Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (2007)

Medicines:
        Claritin 10 mg/AM for MCAS and allergies
        Synthroid
        Aciphex 20 mg in PM for GERD
        Zantac 75 mg, one at night for MCAS and GERD
        Singulair 10 mg in AM, for MCAS & allergies
        Zyrtec 5 mg/PM for MCAS and allergies

Non-Medicinal Helps:
        glucosamine 500mg/MSM 500mg 2 X/day
        I avoid foods that I react to in my esophagus, bowel and bladder, and I react to many things. It is an imperfect method, but it is all that I do at the moment.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (Phillipians 4:13)

Comment

I think my case was somewhat mild - especially in comparison to a lot of the stories I have read over the years here. My story is linked in my signature line before - and I am doing much better than when I wrote that. With treatment I've been virtually symptom free for a few years now.
          Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I guess I have mild IC/CPPS. I only pee 3 times a day. The most I've ever had to was around 8. I still have some urgency after I go running but for the most part urgency isn't that big of a deal. The pain however is my main complaint. I get pains like there is a headache or muscle ache at my pelvis then to the back of my legs. I also have discomfort in my pelvic area and prostate.

Comment

I have a very mild case also. Ive only known about my IC for about a year. I truely feel that if I didnt have such a good primary doc, it wouldve been years before my diagnosis.

I only have pain when I have too much vitamin C or too much alcohol. Now that I know what few things cause my pain, I rarely have any. I have pain in my bladder and in my urethra.

My frequency is only a problem at night. Its 3-4 time minimum. I was also a bedwetter till I was in my early teens so I wonder if IC and bedwetting have something to do with each other.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
              Meds: Percocet PRN; Pyridium PRN. First symptoms Dec 2005. Diagnosed in March 2006.

I am the proud mom of a two year old boy! I was lucky enough to be in remission my entire pregnancy. If you have any questions regarding my pregancy, delivery, breastfeeding, or pumping, feel free to contact me!

Im on Facebook! Just tell me you are from the ICN. Look me up under Kim Wayne.

I love working as a CNA in a nursing home. Started school in August part time. Going for my LPN!!!!

Comment

I also have what I would consider mild IC. My symptoms started at age 3. I was often diagnosed with UTIs, even if no bacteria grew. When I was 13, I began having problems more frequently. My uro diagnosed IC. After visits to a couple of others, I started Ditropan. Within a year or so, my symptoms were under control. I've always had to be careful about having too much citrus and caffeine. For about 10 years, I was fine unless I overdid it on citrus or caffeine. At 23, my symptoms came back full force.

I've never taken pain meds for IC itself. My biggest complaints are always pressure (feeling like I have to go all the time) and frequency. I have very little cramping kind of pain. I found another diet trigger in vinegar. Now that I'm careful with having it, too, my symptoms really are under control. I am back on Ditropan and one Elmiron a day. For the last couple of years, I've been doing much better. I feel fortunate to have a more mild case of IC. Granted, I'd love to not have it at all, but I think we all feel that way.

I also completely understand the denial thing. When my symptoms first returned five years ago, I was in denial waiting for them to just go away on their own. It took me probably two years to really come to terms with this is what I have and it's not going away. It really is a process.
                ~ Stacey

Comment

I always thought I was moderate, but both of my uros said I have a very severe case of IC. I have to watch what I eat, which is easy, as I'm somewhat a picky eater, I guess after 20 plus years of this and everyone in my family eats on a different time table I cook what I want to cook for myself... Mainly, I just have pain on and off; and frequency but with my medications it is pretty much under control.

Comment

Originally posted by kuntrygurl78 View Post
                    I have a very mild case also. Ive only known about my IC for about a year. I truely feel that if I didnt have such a good primary doc, it wouldve been years before my diagnosis.

I only have pain when I have too much vitamin C or too much alcohol. Now that I know what few things cause my pain, I rarely have any. I have pain in my bladder and in my urethra.

My frequency is only a problem at night. Its 3-4 time minimum. I was also a bedwetter till I was in my early teens so I wonder if IC and bedwetting have something to do with each other.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
                    Your comment about bedwetting... my doctor asked me about that at my first appointment... so I wonder if there is a link. I know I had 2-3 accidents in elementary school, which is older than my parents thought to be reasonable. I had one other time when I was about 19. I was sound asleep, dreaming about how bad I had to pee and finally reaching a toilet.. as you imagine, I woke up to find out I was lying in bed! Ug! I couldn't believe that... 19 y/o!
                    [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

Mild as well

My doctors told me I had a very mild case of IC. At first I was so mad, and non-beliving that I had IC. I broke or totally ignored the diet for a while. I finally realized that I was just hurting myself, and that I was the only person who could help me. I started to think about my diet more like a diabetic diet. It sucks but you have to do it to make your life worth living.
                      I then found this site, and realized how truly lucky I am with my IC. I don't have 1/4th the symptoms and problems that I hear about here. I just appreciate what I have been given, even though I wish I didn't have it. It could be so much worse. Life could always be worse.
                      My mantra "Find the good things in life, and focus on just that. The rest will fall into place."
                      Good luck and I hope you get feeling better very soon.
                      Redmowii

Comment

My bedwetting happened 4-5 times a week. It wasnt until my parents actually realized it wasnt me being lazy...that I had an actual problem that they took me to a doctor. I think I was in 5th grade when that happened. The doctor put me on this pill and it took about a year before I finally stopped bedwetting.
                        Meds: Percocet PRN; Pyridium PRN. First symptoms Dec 2005. Diagnosed in March 2006.

I am the proud mom of a two year old boy! I was lucky enough to be in remission my entire pregnancy. If you have any questions regarding my pregancy, delivery, breastfeeding, or pumping, feel free to contact me!

Im on Facebook! Just tell me you are from the ICN. Look me up under Kim Wayne.

I love working as a CNA in a nursing home. Started school in August part time. Going for my LPN!!!!

Comment

I have a mild case of IC and have a diagnosis of Painful Bladder Syndrome which is considered to be the proper name for mild IC.

Comment

Working...
                          X