Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fivefoottwo

HI Earthlady,
    Thanks for your reply. You are the first one I have heard from. Was beginning to wonder if anyone was ever on site. Still, haven't come up with a definitive idea on what to do about the constipation. Everyone talks about MiraLax but fear it can be addicting for the bowel. I have enough problems now without adding not being able to 'go' without help.

If I am not being too forward, may I ask what you use for relief of symptoms and possibly constipation? My uro started me on Elavil as he said that was what he got the most success with in his IC patients. He also mentioned Elmiron, but that doesn't seem to have the good results the Elavil does. Still am skittish about my upping the dose. Not a bug issue with drowsiness on the 10 mgs, just dry mouth and constipation.

Comment

Miralax is a stool softner and not a laxative so it may not be addicting to the bowel. My cat and I both use it- Ha She is elderly now and has problems and it has been the best thing for her. It doesn't stimulate the bowels, but diverts water to the area and makes it easier to go. I don't have much of a problem right now, as the Gelnique I am using for bladder spasms and irritation doesn't constipate me. I will be starting Atarax though, so I will see what happens when I add that. Magnesium supplements help a lot with constipation in case you haven't tried that yet.

Comment

fivefoottwo

Well, using it for my animals is a new one on me!! I have always had a problem with constipation. Lots of stress in my life and the addition of Elavil only worsened the problem. I am taking other meds that magnesium could have an effect on so I never had made use of those. Have had some symptoms today but am so relieved with the use of elavil. Hope the Atarax will do the same for you. When things seem down and out, the only way to go is up.

Thanks again for your reply. If I can ever help you send me a message. I am ion NY so there may be a time difference not knowing where you are from.

Comment

Elavil seems to help a lot of people. I wish I could take it but tricyclic meds give me a rapid heart rate and insomnia- which is the last thing I need right now. Sounds like you may do well on it- other than the constipation that is. You should ask your dr. about the Miralax and see if it's ok for you to take.

Comment

five foot two

Gee Earthlady, I am sorry to hear you cannot take Elavil. I am on a drug to control fast heart rate due to a condition called supra ventricular tachycardia. So far all is well.

I did some searching on the PC and found numerous sites that said Mira-Lax was not habit forming. It has something to do with soluble and non-soluble laxatives. My sister takes it by script and she told me it was non habit forming but needed to find out for myself. I also feel if I can allow myself to reduce my stress level that will help a lot as well.

Will be signing off for tonight. If you ever wish to speak directly, just let me know and I will forward you my email address.

Have a good night.

Comment

Originally posted by fivefoottwo View Post
              . He also mentioned Elmiron, but that doesn't seem to have the good results the Elavil does. Still am skittish about my upping the dose. Not a bug issue with drowsiness on the 10 mgs, just dry mouth and constipation.
              Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I just wanted to say not to rule out elmiron yet. Alot of people take elavil, elmiron and hydroxyzine together to deal with their symptoms. I started elmiron about 5 weeks ago and definitely can tell a difference. My doctor told me it works 40-50% of the time so if you are one it will work for then its probably worth trying but unfortunately you won't know until you try. Just keep it in the back of your mind. I can't take the tri-cyclics either, I had an allergic reaction to the nortriptyline and so my doc told me I can't take any of them now. Thats ok because pain isn't my main symptom.
              Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
              Macrobid after sex
              Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
              synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
              AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
              AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
              Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

five foot two

HI Cmclien,
                I am not ruling out Elmiron. My uro doc didn't want to start me on both because then we wouldn't know which driug was actually helping. The Elavil hasn't given me any problems at 10 mgs and has lessened my symptoms to a very bearable degree. My main symptom was intense urethral sensations that were unbearable. I still notice then from time to time but I have only been on the Elavil for a short period of time. Haven't had to take pyridium or any other other pain reducer since starting the Elavil. Just hope it continues to work for me with no side effects rearing their ugly head.
                Hope your med works for you in getting rid of your symptoms.
                Thanks so much for your reply,

Comment

Working...
                X