Help with sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with sleep

Since I don’t have the level of pain most here seem to have (yet), the most frustrating symptom I have is the the sleep deprivation. The only thing I seem to have any control over is trying not to drink a lot of fluids after dinner. My biggest problem with that is the VESIcare I am taking really leaves my mouth dry and thirty most of the time.
    What tricks do some of you guys use to get a good nights sleep? Please, any ideas would be very appreciated.

Hydoxyzine can help with that...25 mg at Bed. This is prescribed for IC bladders alot because it is an antihistamine and it's side effect is drowsiness, which helps you sleep thru the night...sometimes you may feel tired in the morning, but it is a great med for many.

Jonathan

Comment

I take Ambien. Hydroxyzine and amitriptyline do not make me drowsy. I do not limit my liquids at night either. I generally do not wake up to urinate.
      Symtoms started July 2010.
      Severe pelvic floor pain only.

2 time PT graduate!
      In medical remission since August 2011; able to eat and drink anything I want currently.

IC meds:
      200 mg Elmiron in the morning
      100 mg Elmiron @ night
      Macrobid after intercourse

03/11 07/11 01/12
      If at first you don't succeed: 07/26/2013!

Comment

I take Ambien so at least I can fall back to sleep afer getting up to pee at night.

Comment

When I am having that problem, I take 2mg of either Valium or Ativan. I stop liquid at least 3 hours before bed.
          Minds are like parachutes-they ony function when they are open.
          -Thomas DeWar-

ICN Newbie Volunteer

*ICN Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Since I very rarely take pain meds, I take Benadryl to sleep when needed.
            IC diagnosis 3 weeks ago.
            Vesicare 10 mg once daily
            IBS and Gerd-Zegerid
            IC diet
            Elmiron 100 mg three daily
            Hydroxyzine 25 mg at night
            Amitriptyline 10mg at night
            Diovan 60/12.5 daily
            Topral 50 mg daily
            Zoloft 100 mg at night
            Klonopin .5 twice daily

Comment

When my IC first started, the sleep deprivation was brutal. The doctor prescribed me Zopiclone. Worked like a charm but it does have a bit of a rebound effect. If you take it for a few nights, when you stop taking it you will experience difficulties sleeping the first night. But I know that desperate feeling of wanting just one good night's sleep too. For me it was worth it and eventually, I was able to get a combination of meds that treated the symptoms of my IC very well. I haven't had to use a sleeping pill in over a year now.

The dryness from the meds never goes away but I've actually become used to it. I do chew a lot of gum though!

You will sleep again......I know right now it feels like you never will but it will get better
              Symptoms began with acute onset in October 2009 and was diagnosed with IC in March 2010
              Current Meds: Enablex (7.5 mgs), Elavil (25 mgs), Vagifem
              Previous Meds: Detrol, Cysta-Q, Desert Harvest Aloe

Comment

The Elavil I take helps me sleep, but I don't generally have to get up and go at night. I had problems with insomnia before I got IC, and after my urologist put me on Elavil for IC, the insomnia pretty much disappeared. Elavil caused me to have dry mouth, too, but after my body adjusted to it, that side effect went away. I don't know if Vesicare is the same way, though.
                Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
                Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
                Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

Working...
                X