Pain meds before cystosopy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain meds before cystosopy

A good friend of mine is taking percocet for a broken rib. She has recurring UTI's and will have a cystosopy very soon. She is afraid and wants to take a percocet before it is done. I've never had a cystosopy so I have no idea how painful it is. She asked the nurse to make sure she is given something for the pain and was told it would not be necessary. Poor soul has been through so much pain she is terrified. She wants me to drive her (an hour & half away to the doctor and of course home) I will be there for her but have no idea what to say about the percocet! Any suggestions? Hugs, Ziggy

Hi there!

Just wanted you to know that after all of my cystos I have been given pain meds. If I were her, I would bring my own pain meds with me and take them when discharged... If she is having an in-office cysto no pain meds are needed. If she's being put to sleep and having her bladder stretched, then she will need pain meds.

However, my mom does not have IC and had a cysto done before. She was not given any pain meds and was in little pain. So I guess it depends on her situation - in that case, I would bring my own pain meds just in case.

As for taking medication before the procedure - I wouldn't do that. I ended up doing that my last procedure and I was told I should not have.

Hope something I've said here is helpful!

Wizbe

Current Meds:
    1 Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
    1 Cimetidine 300mg 2x a day
    4 Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day (3600mg)
    1 - 2 Atarax 25mg at bedtime
    1 baclofen 10mg 3x a day as needed
    200mg of Pyridium 3x a day (usually do in cycles - on for a week or two as needed) - I am very careful about this.
    2 belladonna and opium suppositories as needed for pain daily.
    Bladder instillations (Lidocaine, Heparin, & Sodium Bicarbonate)

I have tried but failed -
    lidocaine instillations, heparin instillations, oxybutynin by mouth also called ditropan, tylenol 3s with coedine, cyclobenzaphrine, Ativan, vesicare, Oxytrol patches worked for 3 to 4 years and then failed, I tried Uracyst and had some success but my urologist felt that it was not successful so we moved on to trying something else. .
    [/I]

Comment

I would encourage her to relax for the cystoscopy. I've had several done in my doctor's office and found them to be uncomfortable, but not horrible. I had a little bit of irritation afterwards, but nothing that required pain medications. If she can take some deep breaths and relax, it's over very quickly.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Sounds like I am one of the few who had pain during an office cysto. My first was about 20 years ago and for me it was extremely painful even though there were was no inflammation found.. The second I had done about 6 months ago and I told the uro I wanted mild sedation so he gave me an IV of Versed. Not sure why mine was so painful but it certainly got me to ask for something before the second one. It may have been the injections, but as he was doing the cysto he remarked that my bladder was hypersensitive. I had no pain afterward though.

Comment

If she's having one where they put her under she should NOT have anything before her procedure. They tell you not to eat or drink for about 12 hours before so unless it would last 12+ hours I don't think it would be wise.

If they are putting her under she will be 'out' for the most painful parts and when she wakes up if she still has some pain they can give her something for it then. Though, at least with mine, the pain wasn't too bad at all.

Comment

I also had a cystascope but before being diagnosed and having the procedure done i had 4 cathetor insertions for coating to see if they helped but for those i was in tears it felt like razors as they inserted it in and when they took it out i have never felt like that EVER and i wouldnt do it again unless they gave me something for pain i also had to urinate after to get it out of my bladder and to urinate was like having razors cutting me as i realesed i couldnt bear the pain and the doctors gave me a numbing ointment so that i could go but it didnt help so when i went in for the cystascope my urologist told me cause i feel that pain when haing things put in my urethra she was going to do it in the bOR and thank god but since they stretched my bladder im 50% percent worse!!!!

Comment

My scope was done under full general anesthesia. I refused the procedure any other way because catheters are so traumatic for me pain and stress wise. I simply waited until a point in time several procedures were needed at once and had it thrown in while I was out. It certainly held up my diagnosis a touch to do that, but to me it was worth avoiding the catheter while awake.

As for her choosing a medication to take before hand, that is not wise. Medications can cause responses in your body that will affect the test and the doctor should be aware of any medications you take before hand for that reason. The last thing she wants to do is undergo a potentially painful procedure and get an incorrect diagnosis because of a medication =\

Comment

Happy to tell all that she had the cystosopy yesterday. It was uncomfortable but quick. Not terrible. Best of all her bladder looks very healthy. She took a pain pill to drive home. I drove. She road. Two benign cysts in one of her kidneys. Given Estrace cream to make the vaginal wall thicker I think? I'm not sure why nor is she understanding about that. Thank you all. I think the Doctor and what the Doctor does makes a great deal of difference. He was wonderful. Next on my calendar is my own HYDRO on the 24th. I'm a bit scared but my bladder is about as bad as it can be so will do anything I can to get me back to something normal. Grateful to all of you. Hugs, Ziggy

Comment

So glad to hear that her bladder looked good and she was not to uncomfortable! What a blessing.

Comment

Before my last office cystoscopy, I took my pain medication (at the time Darvocet), a muscle relaxant (Flexeril), did an instillation (marcaine, sodium bicarbonate, heparin), and maybe took Pyridium too. It was still painful, but I have pretty severe IC and have to do instillations twice a day just to manage regular life with my bladder.
                    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                    Source - Pinterest
                    "

Current treatments:
                    -IC diet
                    -Elavil 50mg at night
                    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                    -Pyridium if needed,
                    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                    -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                    -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                    -Managing stress= VERY important!
                    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Working...
                    X