What to drink???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to drink???

I'm having a real hard time finding things to drink. First of all, I hate water and have never been a water drinker. I've tried drinking it for many months now and it makes me pee more, and I swear it irritates my bladder sometimes more than other things. But I do need fluid or my pee hurts more.

I've been doing the almond milk and that's ok I suppose. Though I can't imagine drinking it all day. I've done rice milk but I have to find one that doesn't hurt my bladder. Some do for unknown reasons. I bought the Roastaroma and that seems to be ok, but I'm a little suspicious because tonight I'm burning for some reason and I just drank a cup of that tea. I just want to guzzle something that will quench my thirst. However, there is nothing that is completely bladder friendly to me. Before I hardly drank anything at all (I know...it's unbelievable) and that's probably why I've had four kidney stones.

So then I'm thinking I might try the Crystal Geyser some of you have mentioned. Perhaps I have to drink better filtered water. I have a top of the line filter at the place I live (landlords bought it) and it is supposed to filter everything. And it seems all water is the same for me. I drink it and out it comes, however.

At this point I just want to have something to quench thirst because some meds I take make my mouth so dry.

I want to add that I've drank so much chamomile that I cannot even stomach it. It makes me queasy just to smell it.
    Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

Other conditions: Migraines, allergies, mild IBS.

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Yeah water and chamomile tea (both warm and cold) aren't the easiest for my bladder which some people say is strange. I still drink the water though because the last thing I want to do is get dehydrated on top of things. I drink milk sometimes but it's not really a drink drink to me. I still feel thirsty when I drink it. I am trying pure blueberry juice right now. Its 'OK'. It kind of reminds me of a mix between grape and pomegranate juice. I hate it though because it stains everything. I tried the pear juice and it tasted like it was made for babies. I am going to try Gatorade when I reach my 3rd month diet goal since it's in the 'try it category'. I actually drank Gatorade before IC so I look forward to something I like to drink down the road.

For water I have tried adding pears and watermelon but the flavor is just kind of 'blah' and the food in water grosses me out in general. It reminds me of backwash.

I noticed in the 'try it' there's also citrus peels. I might try that later too to mimic the taste of water with lemon.

Comment

Andrea...you made me laugh.

I wanted to try the pear juice but now that I'm thinking of it as a baby drink, perhaps I'll pass. LOL... Though maybe 1/2 water and 1/2 pear juice might be better. Sometimes I think water is too thin and just runs through the bladder too quickly. If that even makes sense.

I've never seen blueberry juice in the store. Though I never had reason to look for it. I suppose it's worth a shot. (today I bought blueberry breakfast bars...they are good...the problem is that I could eat the whole box...)

Of course the backwash thing turned me off... ha ha. Yeah...fruits floating in water is not a good thing. I also noticed the citrus peel thing. I might try it for a variety. I do drink an orange herbal tea made with citrus peel (Lipton herbals). It's really good. But right now I can maybe stomach one a day.
      Frances

Diagnosed: 2011 - have had symptoms for over 20 years. Diagnoses so far: Overactive Bladder, then IC, and now Myofacial Pelvic Pain Syndrome.

Medicines: For IC am doing PT, and will be taking Gabapentin, Ativan, Tramadol and Ambien. Ice packs and drinking vanilla shakes help. Foods that cause a flare, tomatoes, yogurt, coffee, soda, all sports drinks, and most teas. Take Verapamil, Naproxen (as needed), Omeprazole, Frova (as needed) and receive Botox shots(every three months) for migraines. For allergies I use Claritin and Flonase. (Feel free to ask me any questions about meds.)

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)

Comment

Haha! I am sorry.

Yes, watered down was more tolerable for me (with the pear juice). But who knows you might like it. I could just be weird. It's probably to do with the fact that the only kind I could find was in the baby isle.

I am freak about backwash. I never finish a full drink of anything because I think there's backwash in it. I know they did a medical study and it wasn't true. I can't stop thinking about it though. It's just one of my OCD thing. I found if I made a pitcher and threw the fruit in there and just 'filtered' the water when I would get a glass it wouldn't gross me out as much.

I am looking for blueberry breakfast bars! I can't find them anywhere. I think I am just going to order them online. They sound yummy.

I got my blueberry juice from Trader Joes if you have one near you. Anytime I crave soda I have a little glass of that. It does work some because it tastes like we aren't supposed to be allowed to have it. Like 'adult' juice hehe.

Comment

I like to have lots of ice in my drinking water, especially if the weather is warm. I find that if I take small drinks throughout the day it's better for me. There are many different flavors of herbal tea --- I usually drink that more in winter than when the weather is warm.

Do you live in an area with clorinated water? I know I can't stand to drink that. I'm fortunate that I live in the country with water from a deep well.

I do agree it's important to get at least six cups of water daily.

Sending encouraging hugs,
          Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi All;

I am not sure why but I have been ok drinking Apple & Eve Organic apple juice. I do water it down and drink it real cold (or else it taste like something else I won't mention) but it sure is tasty when the other option is water... Also, marshmellow root tea (although I haven't seen any medicinal benefits from it) taste real good with honey, warm or cold.

I have tried Annie's fruit bars and they seem to be ok and have no preservatives and are yummy..but I know what you mean they taste so good you could eat the whole box in one sitting. Their peanut butter bars are tasty too.

My question is I know that soy is considered a big no no, but what about soy lechtin (I may have spelled it wrong)? It is found in most all baked goodies like the vanilla oreo double stuff cookies that I drool over in my cabinet...I am afraid to try them because of that last darn ingredient on the list...
            I bought some Bryers Almond butter ice cream last night and barely got out of my car and I was opening it to eat...it was so yummy!! Milk is on the safe list for most people I guess...but I don't know if it helps me or hurts me at this point...it will be the very last thing I will give up because I love it so.

Have a good day!!
            Nancy

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.

Andrea, I get Blueberry Bars from Whole Foods and the brand is 365. But check the ingredients. There might be questionable preservatives that might not be good. I think I'm ok with them, but we'll see. I hope so. I see on the label citric acid. But I don't know how much is in there. And I'm still new at reading labels and checking for preservatives.

I like to have a piece of toast with natural blueberry preserves. If you can have butter it's really delicious for breakfast or a snack.

Donna, I do believe we have chlorinated water. I sometimes use the tap at the gym and now I'm thinking it's bad idea. I hadn't thought about it much until now.

Nancy, I didn't know Breyers had an Almond Butter Ice Cream. That sounds great. And I'm going to check out the peanut butter bars too. I too am wondering about soy and did notice that soy lecithin also. I think it is something that holds things together...like some sort of binder. Whether or not it's IC friendly, I have no clue. Maybe someone here will know.
              Frances

Comment

I recently got the ph strips from the IC store and tested the water from my tap and it was off the charts acidic. Then I did a test of the water coming through the PUR filter I have on my faucet and it was neutral! I couldn't believe there would be so much difference. Just an interesting fact....
                treatment:
                -I follow the IC diet to the letter
                -acupuncture and chinese herbs
                -Prelief
                -UTA
                -instillations as needed
                -beginning yoga and specialized yoga for breathing and relaxation
                -Wellbutrin
                -Klonopin

main symptoms: pain and burning

Comment

Drink

The best thing for the bladder is water...which actually dilutes the acid in our food. Do not drink coffee, tea, or any kind of citris juice. I hated water but...I have no choice now with my bladder...I would rather drink water than my bladder be set afire

Good luck

Comment

Certain flavors of Hint water are something to try to break the monotony of drinking water (I was never a big water drinker, either). I've noticed that Starbucks has started carrying the blackberry flavor, and I've also found watermelon. I'm not as big of a fan of the pear flavor. I've also been able to find a brand called Ayala's Herb Water. It's flavored with herbs - my favorites are Lavender Mint and Vanilla Lemongrass.

It's not to everyone's taste; my five year old son was thirsty, so one day he grabbed my bottle of herb water out of my hands and started chugging. After he finished, he made a disgusted face and said, "Ugh, mommy? Why would you drink water that tastes like that?" At least he doesn't go grabbing my drinks from my hand anymore.
                    Lori

40 y.o. mom, wife and marketing manager

"Il faut manger pour vivre, et non pas vivre pour manger." -- Moliere ("One should eat to live, not live to eat.")

IC symptoms began Feb 2010; diagnosed Mar 2010

Treatments:

Oral
                    Elmiron 3x day; Elavil 25 mg/day; Prelief (when I remember!); Benadryl and Prosed DS as needed for flares

Other
                    Acupuncture 2x/month; yoga; IC Diet; meditation and breathing exercises for stress; heating pad for flares

Comment

I never heard of herb water. Sounds interesting and I just might look for that!

Pennyjo, I am taking what you wrote very seriously. In fact, this weekend I only drank Crystal Geyser water and noticed a BIG change in how often I used the restroom. So weird. I was drinking teas that seem to be safe, however, I am very sensitive to most of them it seems. I wouldn't have actually known that if I hadn't spent a couple days only drinking the water I mentioned. I'm really bummed. Almost milk is not so bad I think and I'll experiment with that later this week if I feel well enough.
                      Frances

Comment

Working...
                      X