This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Abbreviation Explanation Thread

I don't know if the support forum already has one of these, but if we do, I can't find it. And if we do, ICN Mods, please feel free to lock this thread and sink it to the bottom.

I'm going to post a collection of common interstitial cystitis related abbreviations and anagrams in this thread to help everyone out. I know I get confused on a daily basis and often get my PCPs, PFDs, PTs, CPPs, and PNs mixed up. There are still a lot of things I don't know the meaning of myself!

I'll post what I know, and I'd like everyone who can to contribute to this thread. I'll update this post regularly to include any suggestions given. Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here! For now I'm going to focus on breaking down the anagrams, in the future I'd like to add simple definitions to the entries as well.

Helpful Tip: As the list continues to grow, I will work to keep it in alphabetical order, but it may still prove somewhat difficult to navigate as some entries have multiple abbreviations and/or definitions. If you're looking for something specific and your web browser supports a "Find" function, hold the CTRL key and press the F key, then type the phrase or word you're looking for into the "Find" field. If that phrase/word is on this page, your web browser will highlight it, considerably cutting down your time spent searching the list.
    Cysto --- Cystoscopy

BP --- Blood Pressure

BM --- Bowel Movement

BPS --- Bladder Pain Syndrome

CPP --- Chronic Pelvic Pain

DF --- Dairy Free

DO --- Doctor of Osteopathy

Doc, Dr., DR --- Doctor

DX --- Diagnose(d)

Endo --- Endomitriosis

FM, Fibro --- Fibromyalgia

Freq --- Frequency

F/U, F&U --- Frequency and Urgency

GF --- Gluten Free

GP --- General Practitioner

Gyno --- Gynecologist

Hydro --- Hydrodistention

IBS --- Irritable Bowl Syndrome

IC --- Interstitial Cystitis

ICA --- Interstitial Cystitis Association

ICN --- Interstitial Cystitis Network

MD --- Medical Doctor, Doctor of Medicine, Allopath

NP --- Nurse Practitioner

OAB --- Overactive Bladder

PA --- Physician's Assistant

PBS --- Painful Bladder Syndrome

PCP --- Primary Care Physician

PFD --- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

pH --- A measure of the acid level in a substance (ie: urine or water)

PPS --- Pelvic Pain Syndrome

PT --- Physical Therapist or Physical Therapy

RD --- Registered Dietitian

RN --- Registered Nurse

RX --- Prescription Medication

Urg --- Urgency

Uro --- Urologist

Uro/Gyn --- Doctor specializing in Urology Gynecology

VV --- Vulvar Vestibulis

Please contribute with anything that may be of help. I know I've missed a lot here, and together we can make a massive master list (and maybe learn something new with it).

Thank you!!
    Last edited by ICNDonna; 02-15-2013, 04:14 AM. Reason: Updated!
    "Diagnoses"
    Vestibulodynia, endometriosis (dx via symptoms only), IC (dx via symptoms only), PFD, uneven legs, pelvic muscular dysfunction

Present Treatments
    EMDR Therapy Dec 2013-June 2015; Mindfulness Style Meditation early 2014-Present; External PT Dec 2013-Dec 2014, daily exercises at home; Intervaginal PT March 2015 - Aug 2015 Chiropractic Mar 2014-June 2015; Therapeutic Massage Apr 2014-April 2015; cut caffeine out of diet; I lost my health insurance Sept. 2015!

what's the difference between bps and pbs. (pbs makes me think of sesame street.)

Comment

Originally posted by Chipotle View Post
      what's the difference between bps and pbs. (pbs makes me think of sesame street.)
      From what I gather, PBS, BPS, and IC are different ways to say the same thing. Painful Bladder Syndrome/Bladder Pain Syndrome is a lot easier to say/understand than Interstitial Cystitis, and as far as PBS/BPS both being out there goes, I suppose it's just a matter of preference.
      "Diagnoses"
      Vestibulodynia, endometriosis (dx via symptoms only), IC (dx via symptoms only), PFD, uneven legs, pelvic muscular dysfunction

Present Treatments
      EMDR Therapy Dec 2013-June 2015; Mindfulness Style Meditation early 2014-Present; External PT Dec 2013-Dec 2014, daily exercises at home; Intervaginal PT March 2015 - Aug 2015 Chiropractic Mar 2014-June 2015; Therapeutic Massage Apr 2014-April 2015; cut caffeine out of diet; I lost my health insurance Sept. 2015!

Comment

Oh, man, the Edit option has disappeared from the first post! I didn't know that that's how it works on this style of forum! Well, we can still do this, I'll just have to "update" in new posts.
        "Diagnoses"

Present Treatments

Comment

You might want to add NP - Nurse Practitioner.

By the way, I made this thread a sticky so it will stay at the top of the forum.

Good idea! Thank you.

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Great Idea! How about....hope they're accruate.

OAB ~ Overactive Bladder
            Uro/Gyn ~ Dr specializing in Urology Gynecology
            PA ~ Physician's Assistant

I'm certain your list will grow and grow! Thanks!
            Never heard of IC til suspected....Never knew so many suffer from it. Praying for a cure. I've found answers...so can you...keep the hope.

11/2007 IC Symptoms began during recovery of surgery for bladder susp & hysto: painful/urge/freq urination up to 50 times a day, pain walking, even water hurts.
            8/2009 Susp IC; 1/2010 Treatment began; 2/2010 Diag PFD, PT, Surg remove mesh; 5/2010 Surg, 2nd bladder repair, vag vault/sm int prolapse repair, IC confirmed in surg; 7/2010 Diag Candida Esophagitis, Gastritis, Diviticulosis, Gallstones,
            8/2010 Surg gallbladder
            TREATMENTS (updated 4/15)
            IC Diet since 8/2009 (Able to vary 4/15)
            Heparin/Lidocaine/Bicarb/Kenalog Instills 1xDay
            Aloe Vera Capsules, (2) 2xDay, Loratadine 1xDay
            Pantoprazole, Prelief, Pyridium up to 3xDay, Premarin Cream 3xWeek
            *DISCONTINUED since feeling better: Celexa 10mg daily*, Fiber supp*,
            Gabapentin 12/2011 worked well *, Macrodantin 100mg after instill*, Probiotics*, PT-PFD*, Valium Vag Suppositories: Cyclo/diaz/lido, 10/5/62.5mg *
            PROB MEDS: Elavil, up to 50mg 1/2011 ret&hbp, Urelle ret, Vesicare ret

Comment

Here's another: BP = blood pressure
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Comment

Thanks for the sticky and the suggestions, guys!

Since I cannot edit the first post after this, I'll just update with a new post each time a few more suggestions roll in. More suggestions are welcome.

Cysto --- Cystoscopy

BP --- Blood Pressure

BM --- Bowel Movement

DF --- Dairy Free

Doc, Dr., DR --- Doctor

DX --- Diagnose(d)

Endo --- Endomitriosis

Freq --- Frequency

GF --- Gluten Free

Gyno --- Gynecologist

OD --- Doctor of Osteopathy, Osteopath

RN --- Registered Nurse

Urg --- Urgency

Uro --- Urologist

VV --- Vulvar Vestibulis

Thanks to Donna and nanawaggs for their additions to the list!
                Last edited by Tectonic; 02-09-2013, 07:37 AM.
                "Diagnoses"

Present Treatments

Comment

I did an edit on the original post in this thread so it's up to date. Anyone have anything to add?

Donna
                  Stay safe

[3MG]

Comment

What a GREAT idea!!! Just a correction: A Doctor of Osteopathy is a DO. An OD is an optometrist. :-) Also, please at an RD for registered dietitian with the caveat that some states have additional credentials for nutritionists (LD, CDN, etc....it depends on the state, but RD is consistent.)

Thanks a million!
                    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                    IC Diet Website
                    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Here's an update with several new items. Thanks, Donna and Julie, for your corrections and additions!

ABX--- Antibiotic

Cysto --- Cystoscopy

CDN--- Certified Dietitian Nutritionist

CFS --- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

CFIDS --- Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome

BP --- Blood Pressure

BM --- Bowel Movement

DF --- Dairy Free

DO --- Doctor of Osteopathy, Osteopath

Doc, Dr., DR --- Doctor

DX --- Diagnose(d)

Endo --- Endomitriosis

Freq --- Frequency

GF --- Gluten Free

Gyno --- Gynecologist

LD --- Licensed Dietitian

PN --- Pudendal Nerve

PTNS --- Post Tibial Nerve Stimulation

RD ---Registered Dietitian (see also: LD, CDN)

RN --- Registered Nurse

SANS --- Stoller Afferent Nerve Stimulation

SN --- Sacral Nerve

SNS --- Sacral Nerve Stimulation

SS --- Sjogren's Syndrome

SSI --- Supplemental Security Income

TENS --- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation

Urg --- Urgency

Uro --- Urologist

VV --- Vulvar Vestibulitis
                      "Diagnoses"

Present Treatments

Comment

Working...
                      X