This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Read! - Drugs & Fetal Complications

For this board ... I absolutely have to reinforce the disclaimer below!!!!! Please read and then carefully consider these points!

The use of various IC therapies during pregnancy and their associated risk of causing fetal abnormalities is a complex question that can ONLY be answered after careful consideration, research and discussions with YOUR personal medical care providers.

Under no circumstance should you accept another IC patient report that they used a medication "safely" during THEIR pregnancy as justification for you using ANY medications during YOUR pregnancy. Each mother and fetus are unique individuals that will have their own vulnerabilities and drug sensitivities.
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Thanks for the info! My doc said absolutely no drugs a month before TTC. Its always best to check as everything seems to trigger us differently!

Comment

Yes, if anything it should open a dialouge between you and your provider on what is best for you and your pregnancy with IC. For me, it was a lot of work, but I was happy that I got a consensus of similiar opinions for my particular situation. I recommend if in doubt, get a second or third opinion so you feel confident with your choices.

Best of luck
      I am blessed to have an Indiana Pouch now
      IC since childhood, finally diagnosed at 31 yo
      PFD/Pelvic Pain,SI joint and LBP
      Low Back Pain s/p spinal fusion at 19 with more nastiness in back
      Hydrodistension 2001, 2005, 2011 w capsacian, 2011 with botox/ super pubic tube
      Interstim trial and removel 2002,C-Section 2007 and 2010, Post Partum Depression, post partum hypertension, Idopathic hypothalmic amenorrhea
      Radical Cystectomy with Indiana Pouch 2/3/12--->multiple complications and revision of ureters in pouch due to a giant ball of scar tissue in 8/12, occasional pylo, L kidney small and scarred, low flow
      Hysterectomy 2/3/12 w one ovary removed
      Dry Eyes
      L radical nephrectomy 1//3/14 after a long "what if " the conversation, kidney working 4 %, path said full of absesses
      Still have issues, still take meds.

I have worked some, been doing pilates, just got a post masters in nursing, learning to pace myself.
      Learning things I can't do, learning things that I need to take a LONG time to master and regain myself, but mostly just so happy to be bladder free.:

Comment

I absolutely agree, and I would like to add, if you are planning pregnancy and have the interstim, please contact medtronics directly.
        'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

I went to my OB today to ask about what I can take during pregnancy and what I can't. At first, she said Tyenol only, but I don't think she really understood that for me it'll be pain killers or no pregnancy at all. She decided to refer me to a special cases pregnancy doctor. I really hope that he can help. I have to wait until August 30th now and I was expecting to come home with some answers tonight.
          It's was a really disappointing appointment. I don't think there's much that, that doctor did know. I finally told her my friend took Prozac during her pregnancy. She said that people with psycological problems are usually the first to receive meds during pregnancy. It wouldn't be worth it to risk a suicide or a mom not eating. I just have a hard time with that answer! I feel like my physical problems are screaming for attention. No one really understands this. I thought even though the doctor might not get IC she would know about pain meds. That's so basic.
          Also, I did a little reading on the pregancy thread and a lot of moms got worse. The doctor was only counting on the fact that she thought the pregnancy might help the IC and then I wouldn't neeeds meds.
          NOw I'll be paying double. Another visit equals another $100 +.

Comment

Hi-
            I hope your appt went well, feel free to PM me if you want to chat, I did a LOT of research and am happy share any tidbits of waht I learned or how I went about reaching some of the decisions I made that were right for me. I am 27 wks and all is going fine and I am on a LOT of meds with good MD support.

Cheers-
            Melanei
            I am blessed to have an Indiana Pouch now
            IC since childhood, finally diagnosed at 31 yo
            PFD/Pelvic Pain,SI joint and LBP
            Low Back Pain s/p spinal fusion at 19 with more nastiness in back
            Hydrodistension 2001, 2005, 2011 w capsacian, 2011 with botox/ super pubic tube
            Interstim trial and removel 2002,C-Section 2007 and 2010, Post Partum Depression, post partum hypertension, Idopathic hypothalmic amenorrhea
            Radical Cystectomy with Indiana Pouch 2/3/12--->multiple complications and revision of ureters in pouch due to a giant ball of scar tissue in 8/12, occasional pylo, L kidney small and scarred, low flow
            Hysterectomy 2/3/12 w one ovary removed
            Dry Eyes
            L radical nephrectomy 1//3/14 after a long "what if " the conversation, kidney working 4 %, path said full of absesses
            Still have issues, still take meds.

I have worked some, been doing pilates, just got a post masters in nursing, learning to pace myself.
            Learning things I can't do, learning things that I need to take a LONG time to master and regain myself, but mostly just so happy to be bladder free.:

Comment

Wow Congrats!!!! It's good to know that other ICers are willing to try going through pregnancy. The doc told me that what I'm on should be okay.
              I take MS Contin so I was pretty surprised. I should be gettin pg soon!! Gotta go.

Comment

Currently in 7th week ( and hopefully going on...)
                NO IC SYMTHOMS at all. NO freq. either (4 times /day)
                Have been on MSM but stopped that. Taking prenatals vitamins and eating a
                LOT of sour food (oranges, pickles, anything I can get hands on) without any problems.

Find pregnanacy waiting very very stressful but certainly the IC is gone (for now).

Comment

I Know What U Mean About Drs Not Getting The Concept Of The Pain Meds. I Too Am Having A Hard Time With This Because I Desperately Want A Child And I Know There Is No Way That Could Happen Without My Pain Meds. Its Not Even A Remote Possibility. I Dont Have Any Words Of Wisdom But I Can Say I Can Definately Relate. Good Luck Finding A Dr That Will Understand And If You Do Find A Way To Become Pregnant And Stillo Stay On Meds-please Let Me Know. Im Trying To Get An Answer For That Myself. Again Good Luck And Lots Of Prayers!!!
                  SMILES
                  MINNIEB

Comment

The pain meds thing (and nausea meds thing) seems to be made very much a case by case basis and even a Dr to Dr. basis. When I was first pregnant, I was SO incredibly sick, I was throwing up all day every day. My first OB put me on a med to help with nausea and vomiting b/c it was so bad. The med helped alot. I still had some N/V, but with the med, it wasnt all day like it was before. Well, by about 8 weeks into my pregnancy our ins changed and my old OB didnt take the new one. When I found a new OB, she was VERY oppossed to taking ANY meds during pregnancy and wanted to pull me off the med that as helping. Worse than that, I was also starting to have IC pain and bad lower back pain and she would give me NOTHING for that either. (I dont just mean she wouldnt give me pain meds, I mean she wouldnt give me ANYTHING at all for it. She just told me to take some Tylenol or Motrin. (As if I wouldnt have done that already! ) It was extremely frustrating cuz I knew my other OB thought it was ok! So, I switched Drs and found a new OB. This one gave me back the med for nausea and vomiting and DID give me pain meds (Demoral). I STILL wasnt sure if it was okay or not and wanted to do the best thing for the baby but be out of misery too, so I got a few opinions from other Drs too, (two other OBs). The other 2 OB's agreed that with my conditions that it was appropriate to treat them with the meds and that it would be more harmful not to treat the N/V and the pain, than it would be to treat it. But everyone agreed that no one is sure what the risks are when it comes to any meds and pregancy b/c no meds have been tested on pregnant women due to the possible risks. So, obviously they want to r/x as little as possible for that reason, and pregnant women want to take as little as possible for the same reason. So, I only took it when I was in unbearable pain and after I had tried everything else. I didnt use it the same way I used pain meds before or after pregnancy. (Like prior to and after pregnancy, I would take pain meds when the pain first started coming on, to "get ahead of it and head it off". But when I was pregnant, I didnt do that. I would see if Tylenol or Motrin, or antacid would work, or massage, or a hot bath, or resting, etc. Then, if NOTHING ELSE worked and the pain didnt subside or got worse to the point I couldnt take it, then I would take the pain meds. (He actually only gave me enough to use it this way anyway.) Now that I am no longer pregnant, my pain Dr wants me to take my meds when the pain starts. But when I was pregnant, the rules were totally different. Does that make sense? Hope so!
                    Last edited by amaranthe; 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM. Reason: added something
                    I am not a medical professional. I do not give medical advice. In all cases, I urge you to talk to your Dr. about your treatment options.

D/Xed 2003 with IC. Also have the co-existing condtions of VV, Vulvadynia, Lupus, Fibro, GERD, CPP, Endo, & Adhesions, and Depression

Meds: Estrogel (due to total Hyster)
                    The meds r/xed by my Pain Dr. from the Pain Clinic are as follows: Morphine ER and IR, Baclofen, and Lyrica and Seroquel (used off-label as a sleeping pill, but it also helps with depression)

(I listed my meds in case someone reading this has been told like so many ICers that Drs dont r/x pain meds for IC.) I want you to know that there ARE tons of us who are also dealing w/this disease and the pain and many of us ARE on pain meds.)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Comment

Slukic, I know it's been awhile since your post, but I was curious, Why did you stop taking the MSM? Was there something specific about it or were you just being cautious? I have been taking MSM/Glucosamine for a couple months now (6 months preg) because my urologist wasn't able to diagnose me before I got preg. and therefore won't prescribe me anything, so MSM/Glucosamine has been my only relief. It's been a God-send. I was just wondering if you had heard of any ill effects with it and pregnancy. Thanks. And I'm guessing you have already given birth. Hope it went well. Did you have any bad flares after the fact?

Comment

New post about a new report today, to do with opioids/pregnancy. Excerpted from ICA:

Opioids & Topamax Linked to Some Birth Defects

The FDA has upped the risk category for the medication topiramate (Topamax), an antiseizure medication that is also used to help prevent migraine. It is now in pregnancy category D, meaning there is evidence of risk to the fetus. Some IC patients may be taking this medication to prevent migraines, so it may be a concern for IC patients thinking about pregnancy or for those who are pregnant. Because this medication isn't normally prescribed for IC symptoms, we did not include it in our list of medications and their FDA pregnancy risk categories our article "Treatment Choices for Pregnancy and Childbirth" in the most recent issue of the ICA Update.
                        The article did discuss opioids for pain control, and a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) linking opioid painkillers to birth defects, so if you are thinking about becoming pregnant or are pregnant, you may be concerned. The report linked opioid painkillers taken just before or during the early stages of pregnancy to a modest increased risk of congenital heart defects, spina bifida, and gastroschisis (a type of hernia) and to some increased risk of a few other conditions. The pregnancy risk categories that the FDA assigns to these drugs could change from what we noted in the ICA Update article, so, as the article emphasizes, if you need pain control for IC during pregnancy, get the help of knowledgeable healthcare professionals, such as perinatologists, neonatologists, and lactation consultants, to weigh the risks and benefits of these medications for you. These professionals will be staying abreast of any changes in the FDA risk categories and any other new information about the effects of these medications on you during pregnancy and on your baby-to-be. We know that some IC patients do well during pregnancy because IC symptoms subside or because they can control symptoms with self help, physical therapy, or alternative techniques, so they can avoid even low-risk medications. But others do not do well. For them, the choices are difficult, but they can make the best choices for them by working with healthcare professionals who are experienced in managing pregnancies of women with serious health challenges and the health of their babies.
                        You can help us learn more about what happens to IC patients during pregnancy and what treatments help you by completing our pregnancy and IC survey at ichelp.org/pregnancysurvey.
                        Posted March 10, 2011
                        ______
                        Severe IC developed fairly quickly, autumn 2010.
                        So severe that I was bed-bound & on 160mg/day morphine to cope with torturous pain levels, and unable to function other than hospital/medical appointments, for seven months. Then, miracle of miracles, something started working. I am steadily lowering the methadone dose level. I have been far out of that desperate nightmare hell zone for several months now and continue to improve.

- Ranitidine (anti-histamine, H2-inhibitor) 300mg/day
                        - Methadone 9 ml/day
                        - Instillations:
                        - 40ml Kenalog (steroid for inflammation) 2 x per
                        week, along with rescue cocktail of heparin,
                        lidocaine, sodium bicarbonate
                        - 20ml Uracyst, monthly @ $100/per
                        - Depo lupron injections for endometriosis, monthly @ $88/per

Comment

Going to add something here also. I adopted my niece an nephew. my son is FASD Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and has sever problems, and my daughter is fase fetal alcohol syndrom effects. PLEASE no matter what your obgyn says, NO AMOUNT of an alcoholoc beverage is safe during your pregnancy. What ever your fetus is developing at the time you dring you are destroying that part of the brain for that part of the body function.
                          'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Wow! Last time I wrote on this board was before I was pregnant. Opioids are considered more dangerous now? I'd like to hear more about this. VERY lucky for me, but son was born with no health issues!!! He's almost 3 now!
                            Last edited by ABliske; 03-15-2011, 12:51 PM. Reason: I meant on this thread. I've written on the board many times.

Comment

Pregnancy & Medication - Planning

Hi
                              hi, I have never used this forum so I am a little nervous.

I have had IC for 12 years now and as everyone it has been a rollacoaster of medication, tests, confusion and tears. We had a terrible year in 2010 and I was unable to go out or do anything. Now I have DSMO installations every 8 weeks. I know this is an old treaTment but it has really saved me and gave me my life back.

Anyway my husband and I are about start a family and I am so scared and confused but also so so excited. I am just co fused about the medication. I am currently on gabapentin and they are advising that I will b able to take this. Has anyone been pregnant and taken gabapentin? I am live in Australia so we have access to different medications. I also take digesic for break through pain
                              doesn't anyway else use this medication?

If anyone has any advice bot IC and pregnancy I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X