Pregnancy advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy advice

I have had IC for quite a few years. I have had DMSO and cystoscopy with hydrodistention without positive results. Does anyone know if birth control affects IC. I am in the process of going off birth contol in the hopes of conceiving. I know that I will also have to go off amitripyline and oxybutinin chloride too. Is there any safe IC drugs that can be used during pregnancy? I have heard that pregnancy sometimes relieves IC. Any comments would be helpful.

Hi Stella and welcome!

I've heard a few IC'ers complain that their symptoms worsened while taking birth control. Who knows? Maybe yours will improve once you stop it.

As far as pregnancy improving IC....my OB gave me his theory that the hormones in your body during pregnancy are natural smooth muscle relaxers which could actually help with IC spasms. Personally, my IC didn't get any better but it also didn't get any worse. I was able to get through my entire pregnancy med-free....(well...with an occasional Tylenol). I don't believe that there are any IC meds or treatments proven to be completely safe during pregnancy so it's important to discuss it with your OB and determine if the benefits outweigh the risks. I wish you lots of baby luck!

ICNLesa
    "The first time her laughter unfurled it's wings into the wind....
    We knew that the world would never be the same."
    ~Brian Andres

Baby Kaitlyn was born on 07/08/01 after a successful pregnancy with IC!

Comment

My ob told me certain meds can be taken after the end of the first trimester. I want to get pregnant so much, but I dont know how I will get well enough to try

Comment

My ob told me certain meds can be taken after the end of the first trimester. I want to get pregnant so much, but I dont know how I will get well enough to try

Comment

Working...
        X