pregnancy with ic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregnancy with ic?

Hi. I am just wondering how many of you have gone through preg. with ic. Please share your experiences because I want a good idea of what it's going to be like during and/or after. Someone on here said they had pain after.....a lot of pain, but they had none during pg. Also, I'm worried about the trying. That's going to be tough. I have an almost zero sex drive most of the time. Usually if I'm experiencing pain in my bladder than I keep away from sex, but I hardly ever feel like it in general. I don't know why. I think it's the association with infections, pain/discomfort and stuff. Who knows. Anyway, please share on this topic. ANy info would be appreciated. We're going to start trying in January!!!!! Thanks.

Melis
    "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it"

Read my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/melissa.html

Hello Melis. I went through actually 2 pregnancys with ic. The first one in 1999, but was not dx yet, and had only frequency-so i thought it was just related to pregnacy bathroom trips.

The second in 2000 with my second daughter A.J. When i was officially dx, after experianceing off and on symptoms since 1997. For me, my pregnancy was good, except for her prematurity, but my ic was a monster during that time. Everyone is different.

Some have no pain, others do. Some say they feel better with pregnancy and symptoms, others it makes it worse.

good luck, and i hope you are pain free!
    christine.

Newbie Angel- Giving support to those new to the boards with IC

Angel over the airways- Lets get the word out on IC!

Comment

Well I went through a IC pregnancy in 2002.
      My son was born 2 months early. Not related to IC. I had one UTI and two flares while being pregnant.
      I also had a great remission for 5 months afterwards. That was a blessing. Especially when you have to get up so often at night.
      With or without pain, it's a great experience being a Mom. I wouldn't change anything.
      Oh some moms have a remission the whole time they breastfeed. Have you read Lesa's journal yet? It might give you a heads up on pregnancy also....Good luck and can't wait to hear the news!
      Tons of support,
      Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Comment

Sorry you guys had some pain during your pgs. It's not fair. I'll deal with it one day at a time when I get pg in jan, if I get pain or urgency. THanks for replying!!!!!

Comment

If you go to the Browse Our Site pull-down menu at the top of this page, you'll find the link to ICN Lesa's Pregnancy journal.

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I am currently in the midst of my 2nd IC pregnancy with no IC-related problems. 1st pregnancy sucked anyway due to vomitting all day every day for months 2 thru 9. there are no guarantees with pregnancy! And the baby is ALWAYS worth the trouble. From watching this topic awhile it seems some women will go into remission, some get worse, some like me stay the same. I wouldn't try to anticipate too much, just take it one day at a time when it happens. Wishing you a quick easy conception, easy pregnancy and labor, and a happy healthy child! --k hi

Comment

Hi Melis,
              I was diagnosed a few months or so ago. I was having symptoms before my pregnancy, but they thought I just had s stubborn UTI at that point. I noticed though that while I was pregnant I had NO symptoms. I thought it had cleared up. Unfortunately, I miscaried at 5 weeks. 1 1/2 months later, my symptoms reappeared. That was when i was finally diagnosed. Now I'm trying to decide if I should go back on the pill (sypmtoms started after going off) or if I should try to get pregnant again. I feel I should find my triggers before getting pregnant though since I won't be able to use my beloved Elmiron.

Good luck to you!! -Erin
              [email protected]

Comment

erinaj, a simplistic explanation I have heard about how 'the pill' works, is that you do not ovulate because the hormones in the pill 'fake' your body into thinking you are already pregnant. In other words, pill hormones are very similar to pregnancy hormones...and YOU had no symptoms while on the pill and no symptoms while pregnant! The reason I am bringing this up is, I suspect you will be VERY comfortable if you either get pregnant again or go on the pill again, doesn't matter which but I am betting either one will help you more than the elmiron. This is just my guess from reading your brief history above. --k.

Comment

Hi Karen,

I was thinking the same thing. As things will go, I got my period this morning. I took my pill. I have an appointment with a Dr. Hanno at he Univ. of Penn. in December. I think the best thing to do would be not pregnant in case he wants to do tests. I'm only recently dx, so I'm still hoing it's something else. Let you all know how the pill helps.

-Erin
                  [email protected]

Comment

Hi Melis,

I only now going into my 10th week of pregnancy, so I can't say what it's going to be like for the duration, but so far, so good. I was dx'd in early August and started Elmiron immediately. I started to see improvement after just a couple weeks. Then we found out I was pregnant in early October...complete suprise! I stopped taking the Elmiron and didn't notice any radical return of symptoms. I have noticed since I started the prenatal vitamin (I'm taking Prenate GT) that I have a little more frequency and some pain occassionally either when I go or right after I go but I also think it's related to how much water I drink...if I get the least bit dehydrated, my IC lets me know about it! But it's definitely tolerable. Also, I have been cheating on the IC diet left and right without serious repurcussions (blaming that on the pregnancy cravings)!

When I first found out about the pregnancy, I was devastated...I just didn't think I'd be able to handle it on top of the IC. But then I started to spot and things were touch and go for about 2 weeks. It scared me badly and made me realize how much I wanted this pregnancy, planned or not, IC or not! When I saw my baby's heartbeat on ultrasound I realized no matter what, it's going to be worth it! I still get scared sometimes, but it's easier to take the symptoms when you know IC isn't your #1 priority.

Good luck in figuring out what's best for you! Remember, IC is something you have, not who you are -- don't let it define your life!

Jaime
                    That which does not kill you, makes you stronger. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Hi there. Im in my 9th week of pregnancy so I too cant really say if I will get worse or not. My URO told me it gets better during pregnancy....but everyone is different so Im not counting too much on that. I have frequency but that is because of the pregnancy. I have had a little flare here and there where it burns worse than usual, but I just lay down and take it easy, and that is usually after I get through using the bathroom and it lasts only for a short amount of time. I was on Elmiron before but stopped it way before I got pg...just seeing how I would respond without it, I did really good and havent taken anything since. But like the others said, Planned or not, IC or not, nothing will get in the way of the joy you will have while being pregnant. Good luck in Jan and I will keep u in my thoughts. Take care. baby

~Alison

Comment

Thanks everyone!!!! I'm soooooooo excited to get preg. and have a baby and I know it'll be worth it. It sounds like everyone has a different reaction so I'll just have to see. If only IC came with an instructional pamphlet. Well........it kind of does, but i mean a better one! lmao

Melis

Comment

Hi Melis 26, When You are ready to try get yourself an ovulation predictor kit which you can get at any store and just try at your peak times to get pregnant. My friend did that and it worked really well for her. With my first pregnancy my symptoms completely disappeared until he was 2 or 3 with my second one I suffered into my 3rd month off and on but the symptoms went away after that and didn't start up again until he was about 3 months old.

Comment

Thanks rainbird.

Comment

Melis, I don't mean to be bummer girl, but I have a different story with IC and being pregnant. For me it has been the worst experience of my life. First off, I have IC really bad - so I assume that makes things worse off to begin with. But, my IC is totally controlled by my diet - which at this point is white rice and every once in a while steak, chicken, lettuce and carrots. Which, as a person supporting 2 humans leaves you hungry ALL the time. I spend 50% of my life starving and the other 50% in terrible pain (that is because I actually decide to eat). Forget trying to satisfy any normal craving of a pregnant woman! I actually and literally dream about food every night - maybe the brain can't tell the difference between a dream and reality. In terms of DR support - FORGET IT. In my experence they tell you "go off all your meds and see me in 10 months". No one wants to touch you! My OB is great - but does not get IC. I have to remind him EVERY visit I can't take prenatals, I can't eat more food, I keep losing weight because food is the enemy in my life right now. I know this is bad for the baby, but when I eat my bladder hurts so bad I want to die - how good is that for the baby? To top it all off I have placenta previa and continue to have bleeding episodes where I end up in the ER. There, they insert a cath, which leaves me in worse pain for weeks. I beg them not to, but the only answer I get is "well, no one likes to get a cath". People just don't get IC!
                              In the end I would say this...If you really want a biological baby then do it. But, be aware that you COULD have a perfect 10 months, or you could struggle everyday with pain. So, be prepared. I was not. Mentally, I was not ready to be in this place. I was not ready to give up my meds, my food, and my life. Am I dealing with it? Yes. But I spend my days wondering what kind of a healthy baby can come from a mostly rice diet...I will end on this... If you want a baby and you are not sure how you would cope with almost a year of pain and uncertainty adoption may be something to think about. But, if you are set on having a biological child the one thing I have learned through my IC journey is that you can endure just about anything. If you want it bad enough, you can do it and in the end you will be glad you did. Just be well informed and prepared going in to it.
                              I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X