pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pregnancy

I'm 23 and newly diagnosed with IC. I have a 2 and a half year old daughter and would like to start trying to get pregnant in the near future. What differences will IC make? When should I go off med? What about bladder instillations? It will still be about another 6 or 7 months before we start trying just wanted to get some information now.

Thanks all,

Kristy

Welcome Kris!

It's difficult to say how our IC symptoms will be during pregnancy since we are all so different. Studies have shown that with some symptoms improve, some have an increase in symptoms during the 1st and 3rd trimesters, some stay the same all the way through. My doctor told me that the progesterone increase in your body during pregnancy can sometimes help your IC symptoms. Progesterone is a smooth muscle relaxer and can sometimes decrease bladder, urethral and colon spasms.

As far as medications go....most IC medications have not been proven safe for use during pregnancy. If needed, your doctor may prescribe a medication if it is felt that its benefits outweigh the potential unknown risks. Choosing an OB and Uro that will communicate with each other regarding your care is a great advantage!

When my husband and I decided to start a family I was on Elmiron, Ditropan and a few other meds. I made appointments with both my OB/GYN and Uro and discussed all of my options. Although my IC had improved while on my meds, I wasn't sure if it would get worse when I stopped everything. I decided on a med-free trial period BEFORE trying to conceive...just to be sure I could do it.

I am now 13 weeks pregnant and doing fine! I can't say that I have gone into an IC remission but my symptoms have not gotten worse. I am maintaining a week-by-week online pregnancy journal if you're interested in reading it. You can find it at http://www.ic-network.com/pregnancyjournal/

I wish you lots of baby luck!!!!

ICNLesa
    "The first time her laughter unfurled it's wings into the wind....
    We knew that the world would never be the same."
    ~Brian Andres

Baby Kaitlyn was born on 07/08/01 after a successful pregnancy with IC!

Comment

Hello-
      I am now 30 weeks pregnant and also "fairly newly diagnosed" with IC. I got off of my meds 6 weeks prior to trying to conceive. My urologist gave me weekly instillations of Heparin and Marcaine. After I got pregnant they changed to just Heparin. For some lucky IC women, pregnancy causes a remission of IC symptoms. Unfortunatly, I was not one of those lucky ones. It has not been easy, but I just try to remember that in a very short time it will all have been worth it!
      Best of luck to you,
      Cindy

Comment

Congratulations to you both. Having a baby is so special. Thanks for all the advice.
        thanks for the advice,

Kris

[This message has been edited by kris (edited 12-29-2000).]

Comment

Working...
        X