Afraid of drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afraid of drugs

I am always amazed at everything IC patients are capable of getting through! We must be the toughest people on the planet. I'm 27 and will want to have a baby eventually- no hurry. I may start Elmiron soon. I know not to get pregnant on it, but is there any word on it effecting a fetus later on? I mean, how long do you have to stop it before you get pregnant? Is there fear out there that even if one stops Elmiron, it is not all out of your system or will still hurt the baby? Just curious. I've gone without drugs for almost two years- just Prelief and I can be pain free for weeks at a time- but even if they could relieve the symptoms a little bit, then it might be worth it. I can take anything Elmiron brings on (side effects), but I won't do it if it will effect my reproduction. Any comments are appreciated on this. Thanks!

ashley-meg,
    That's a good question. I wasn't trying but got pregnant in June. As soon as I found out, I stopped the Elmiron. I too wander if there are any effects. I did read somewhere you can be on it while breastfeeding. For some reason it is't expressed alot through the milk like most meds are.
    Tons of support,
    Jaime
    Tons of support,
    Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Comment

I took Elmiron for about a year but stopped it in '98 to try and get pregnant. After a med-free pregnancy, I just delivered a beautiful and healthy baby girl on July 8th! Best of luck to you!

ICNLesa
      "The first time her laughter unfurled it's wings into the wind....
      We knew that the world would never be the same."
      ~Brian Andres

Baby Kaitlyn was born on 07/08/01 after a successful pregnancy with IC!

Comment

I also want to have a baby soon. My dr. just diagnosed me with IC. I told him I want to get pregnant now. I was surprised when he told me I COULD START TAKING ELMIRON AND WHEN I GOT PREGNANT TO STOP TAKING IT. He says it's a class "B" medication and said if I was his own wife he would allow me to take it up until I got pregnant!

I too don't want it to affect my baby. Now I don't know whether to start taking it or not.

Do I stop when I am trying to get pregnant or just stop when I get pregnant?

I too am confused! We need answers-can anyone help? Why are people's opinions different about Elmiron and its affect on pre-pregnancy?

As a rule they say stop taking everything when you get pregnant. My dr did infer that I could take it up until I am pregnant!!!!!

Comment

Okay gals...this is what the fact sheet for Elmiron says...

"PREGNANCY CATEGORY B:

Reproduction studies have been performed in mice and rats with intravenous daily doses of 15 mg/kg, and in rabbits with 7.5 mg/kg. These doses are 0.42 and 0.14 times the daily oral human doses of ElmironĀ® when normalized to body surface area. These studies did not reveal evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus from ElmironĀ®. Direct in vitro bathing of cultured mouse embryos with pentosan polysulfate sodium (PPS) at a concentration of 1 mg/mL may cause reversible limb bud abnormalities. Adequate and well controlled studies have not been performed in pregnant women. Because animal studies are not always predictive of human response, this drug should be used in pregnancy only if clearly needed."
          Elmiron

What it boils down to is YOU have to be comfortable that what you're taking is safe for you and the baby. I would suggest talking more with your doctor about it, bring a copy of Elmiron's fact sheet, and remember....informed decisions are the best decisions. Good luck!!

ICNLesa
          "The first time her laughter unfurled it's wings into the wind....
          We knew that the world would never be the same."
          ~Brian Andres

Baby Kaitlyn was born on 07/08/01 after a successful pregnancy with IC!

Comment

I too am just beginning to think about starting a family and am currently taking Elmiron. I have been taking it since 11/97. I just had my doctors visit and we sat down and went over the information sheet on Elmiron. He said based on that info he had no problem with me staying on the Elmiron until I got pregnant. Then he suggested I stop it. Said because it is a category B drug and the amounts administered to the rats were much higher than the human dose he was comfortable with me remaining on Elmiron for the time being. I agree with Lesa, though, you need to do what makes you comfortable. I have decided to remain on the drug for now as it would be nearly impossible for me to continue to work and function each day without it. Elmiron has been a livesaver for me! Good luck to you!

Comment

Thanks for the comments. It helps to see that I am not alone in worrying about pregnancy. It's scary stuff! Of course I had read the crap on the elmiron fact sheet- It makes so much sense (yeah, right). It tells you a whole lot of nothing. It's Greek to me! I am going in 10 minutes to my urologist- I want to ask about acupuncture too. A gifted doctor has completely reversed my mom's chronic lung syndrome/pneumonia in one of her lungs. He is going to research IC for me and might see how to do it. I would definitely stop Elmiron BEFORE even trying to conceive. Well, here I go!

Comment

Working...
              X