Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how long off Elmiron before trying to get pregnant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long off Elmiron before trying to get pregnant?

Was wondering how long you are supposed to be off the Elmiron before attempting to get pregnant. I didnt' want to go off from it any sooner than I have to but haven't talked to my doctor yet. Anyone know?

Hi Lis! I'm also going to start trying soon and I spoke with my doctor and he said 2 months. I'm dreading the thought of even stopping Elmiron. That is the only meds I'm taking for IC (besides Prelief). Is Elmiron working for you? I don't know about you but this IC sure is the pits! I'm afraid to start taking pain meds since I'll be trying to get pregnant in Sept. which seems right around the corner. Tomarrow I'll turn 34 and I told my husband that if I don't get pregnant before I'm 35 I'm throwing in the towel. It seems like my body has been falling apart ever since the birth of my only child who is three. Well, hope my answer to you was helpful. Read some of the other message boards--I was reading some last week and some others have talked about taking Elmiron thru their pregnancy and others talk about using other meds or herbals. I'm kinda funny about taking a aspirin while I'm pregnant so I don't know about taking anything. I guess it just depends on how much pain I'm in with the IC. Good luck to you Lis!!! You take care.

Comment

wanted to pass this information about ELMIRON...
      there is a book called medications and mothers milk(also for pregnancy) has all the ic medications listed for both pregnancy and nursing...
      Medications and Mothers Milk
      tenth edition 2002
      THOMAS W. HALE. PHD
      this book is used throughout the world by physicians, lactation consultants,and other health care providers..
      ELMIRON has a pregnancy risk category B
      WHICH SAYS....EITHER ANIMAL-REPRODUCTION STUDIES HAVE NOT DEMONSTRATED A FETAL RISK, BUT THERE ARE NO CONTROLLED STUDIES IN PGNANT WOMEN OR ANIMAL-REPRODUCTION STUDIES HAVE SHOWN AN ANDVERS EFFECT(OTHER THAN A DECREASE IN FERTILITY)THAT WAS NOT CONFIRMED IN CONTROLLED STUDIES IN WOMEN IN THE FIRST TRIMESTER(AND THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF RISK IN THE LATER TRIMESTERS)

ONE WORD OF THOUGHT.. SOME DOCTORS WILL DISCOURAGE A MEDICATION FOR LIABILITY REASONS..
      YOU CAN ORDER THIS BOOK CALLING 800-376-9900
      OR www.iBrestfeeding.com

hope this helps!
      mlc

Comment

I called two diffent OBGYNs and they both said that since Elmiron is a Level B drug that it is safe to take during pregnancy. The drug has been on the market for 7 years so it seems like if there will bad effects it would have come out by now.

Comment

I also talked to my doctor about trying to conceive while taking my meds. I stopped one (Detrol LA), will wean off another when /if I become pregnant (desipramine) and will plan to stay on the Elmiron throughout the pregnancy. I'm comfortable with my doctor's advice and think I'll be in less pain and able to function better by taking the Elmiron. Check with your doctor--it's definitely a very personal decision. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X