Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost 44 and unbelievably 6 weeks pregnant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost 44 and unbelievably 6 weeks pregnant!

So I have had IC for 9 years now. I have had ups and downs but in remission for 2.5 years thanks to quercitin! Then 5 weeks ago this came to a crashing hault with worst flare ever - including waking every 2 hours to pee (something that i never have issue with). Now I know why. I found out today I am 6 weeks pregnant. The only reason I even did a test was because my partner commented on my nipple size (sorry if too much info). This is beyond shocking as first off I am almst 44 so def not very fertile and number two I was very ill this summer with a stomach issue that caused me so much weightloss I became anorexic (not on purpose) and stopped getting my period after August 2nd. I am doing much better and started to gain about weeks ago but still have half way to go. Somehow in that 6 week period I had the one in a million chance of ovulating and having sex one time - been too sick and got pregnant. We weren't careful because I was so thin and believed to be totally not fertile. I have a son about to be 17 and my parnter and I do not want more children. He jsut moved in and is looking for work.

Anyway I am going to broach a subject I have not seen on here. that is of the choice to not continue a pregnancy due to having IC and other autoimmune issues. I have lived 15 years with chronic pain in and out of remissions and right now I am def in a horrid flare from this pregnancy. I am seriously considering terminating. I talked with doc today and she said she has had many patients with ic do so. I am unable to do the pill as you can't have clotting problems and i have issues with low platelets so that leaves the surgical procedure. I am so worried as to what that will also due to my condition at this point. I had just started healing from a hell summer of stomch issues and now am in worst flare every due to this. It is breaking my heart as my bf is the love of my life and i always wanted a second child with the right man, and before 40 and if i was healthy. I do't feel i can risk my health, the babies ( i am on lots of meds) not knowing what would be in store for me . I See some due better some do worse and some our in agony. It would be scary enough to start all over but to maybe be too sick to work or take care of baby and have everythign on my poor partner would be devistating to me. I do nto want judgement, I do not want to hear moral or religious opinions. I am very pro choice however this does not mean I am not heartbroken and the prospect and really sad and also really angry. Please I want to hear from people who grappled with this decision and what they did and if they did choose to end it what was the outcome for them physically /emotionally and if they didn't what the outcome was. I understand if u don't want to share ur experience on the forum so if that is case can you pm me so we can talk? Thank you.

Re: Almost 44 and unbelievably 6 weeks pregnant!

BTW my partner does not want to have children but he said if i decided to have the baby he would love and take care of us both. He is an absolute angel. That being said we discussed all this when we met 18 months ago and both agreed no kids esp cuz of my health.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so unsure about whether or not your health will hold up for pregnancy. From your post, it seems that really is the main issue holding you back; your uncertainty due to your health. I can most certainly relate.

I just had a little boy 7 months ago and suffer from a large number of health conditions. Let me tell you, although I did suffer from partially related and partially unrelated conditions during the pregnancy; I was NEVER so healthy and I never felt so good in all my life!

Mind you, I had a placenta previa and risked bleeding out at any moment..and yet I still consider that time my healthiest! That is how well I did. With NONe of my 10 medications (until the very end I needed help again for my blood pressure) but they made sure me and the little one were okay! Not only did I hold up through most of the pregnancy, but it maintained for about 5 months postpartum, while exclusively breast feeding.

I am still nursing exclusively, but about the time my menstrual period began, all my issues started to come back. In fact, My blood pressure got so bad so quick at 7 months postpartum that I was in the trauma department in VERY bad shape this week! As we speak I am on bed rest (with an absolutely perfect angel in my lap sleeping).

I truly believe If you found yourself a good team of experts at a great hospital, I have no doubt they will be able to take great care of you and your little one. For the previa, if I had a bleed, they likely would have kept me in the hospital for weeks or months if need be. They take NO chances with the little ones! I wound up with a cesarean at 37 weeks, the baby stayed 2 days in the NICU, but in the end..looking back.. I would take my shots again at pregnancy ANY day! In fact, I really wish they could bottle up all the good it did for me, cuz now that I am not so preggers anymore I am starting to fall apart!

I cannot emphasize enough the fact that I was scared to death about my health too, about all the meds, about the pain, and all the conditions. How would I work? In fact, even with a complete previa, and slight hypertension at the end I worked up until the week or 2 before my cesarean!

If you want to talk even deeper regarding this issue, and on a more personal level.. I do have tremendous insights to share. Please feel free to PM me if that is the case. Also, if you need any support along the way.. I am here for you!

I pray that no matter what decision you make, you need never look back with regret.

Warmest regards to you and many, many blessings too!
      Love is a fruit in season at all times, within reach of every hand. ~ The Blessed Mother Teresa

Status: Diagnosed October 2006 via cystoscopy with hydrodistention. Max anesthetized bladder capacity only 250 cc's. Mast cells and pinpoint bleeding found.

Remission for me means less pain for more days than not. Frequency is inevitable with a bladder this tiny! That is ok though. The difference between when I was diagnosed and now, is that I have embraced that fact. Me and the loo, we are one.

Comment

The only suggestion I feel comfortable with making is that you talk with a professional counselor before you make your decision. Whatever that decision is, it's yours to make. You are fortunate in having a partner who will accept your decision and offer support.

That said, there have been many ICers who post here and have had babies --- some reported total remission throughout pregnancy, some had tough times for the initial months, but better after that --- and some have been totally miserable throughout the entire pregnancy.

Sending gentle hugs,
        Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

That is quite a shock! I'm very sorry for you.. this is not an easy decision I'm certain. I also have multiple health issues and am on a lot of medications. I waited to have children and was unsure if I should ever get pregnant because I had all the same fears but I did go on to have children at age 34 and 36. I have had ups and downs. I cannot say that having children has made my body any worse. I had remission of some health issues during my pregnancy but no remission of IC until after I gave birth until about 9 mos postpartum. With my second pregnancy my IC stayed about the same during and after. A well respected IC dr. I met with recently said he doesn't think IC usually gets worse -like if you have gone for years without Hunners ulcers or something than it is likely you won't develop them. My symptoms, flares and pelvic floor dysfunction were definitely affected with pregnancy and birth but luckily all my setbacks were temporary. I have had a lot of other health stuff going on lately but can't say that it's due to having children. If anything, having kids meant quitting my desk job to stay at home. Now I cannot imagine ever having a desk job again.. I don't think I could because my tailbone does not allow sitting for more than 15 to 20 mins without pain. It might be that you have to find a different kind of work (I teach now in the evenings so no desk sitting) or if your overall health goes that far down you could consider filing disability. I would have another sit down with your dr. before making any decisions. Ask about which medications you could stay on and which you would have to stop (if any), if there is anything new. From what I've read here, most IC patients do have flares or issues during or after their pregnancies but these are almost always temporary setbacks. And remember there are new treatments on the horizon. I hope this helps you somewhat..
          The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
          First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
          Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
          Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
          Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
          BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

Comment

I can't imagine what you are going through right now. So stressful and scary. HUGS!!! You have a big choice to make, and only you can make it. But talking with your doctor about what to expect (uro and ob/gyn), is a good idea. Not just to help you make the choice, but to know what to expect, and probably for peace of mind too.

HUGS.
            ----------------------------------------------------
            My blog on IC, adoption, and academia: the garlic whisperer

Diagnosed Jan 2013. Currently taking:

200mg Elmiron morning and night
            25mg Elavil at night (no drowsiness or weight gain)
            culturelle in the morning
            SLIT drops for allergies (environmental) 3 drops/night under the tongue
            zyrtec 24 hour nightly (recommended by uro)
            Instillations 3x/week: Parson's Solution
            uribel and prelief as needed

Also took Desert Harvest Aloe (3 in the morning and 3 at night) for a year and had great luck.
            No longer need them, so I only take them during flares.

Comment

Originally posted by miniguinea73 View Post
              I can't imagine what you are going through right now. So stressful and scary. HUGS!!! You have a big choice to make, and only you can make it. But talking with your doctor about what to expect (uro and ob/gyn), is a good idea. Not just to help you make the choice, but to know what to expect, and probably for peace of mind too.

HUGS.
              Thanks all. Not sure if I mentioned but two of my other h ealth issues have potential to harm fetus if not monitored well and also me. IC is a royal pain in the ass but won't hurt the baby - though meds could. I will be discussing with other docs as well. The ob was pushing me very quickly to terminate. I decided i could not make that decision in a few days. I am almost 44 as well and reality is i havea 50 50chance of miscarriage too. What you do need toknow on top of this is my parnter and i do not want kids. I have a 17 year old I love dearly so I have had my opportunity and at this point in life had stopped wanting more. My stipulation for a second was before 40, healthy and with the right person. Well I am with the right person but the rest of it isn't there. The fatigue and morning sickness has hit as well in last 2 days and honestly I can't even imagine doing this at this point. It is nothing like when I was a healthy 26 year old 17 years ago. I would say then that being pregnant was awesome morning sickness and all. I am also coming off being gravely ill this summer and had just recovered. Whew so overwhelming.

Comment

I also can't function at all without sleep - and we are talking just a few days without so the after time of actually doing the baby thing again is overwhelming. Lack of sleep for me often triggers replapses of chronic fatigue for me too.

Comment

I have 100s of babies as I home visit for head start/early head start and get to work with babies and families every day. Right onw this is making my decision even more hard. However I do not have a desk job and am up and moving a lot. Its great but exhausting right now. Working at home or not working is not an option for me. I do not want to be in a position to be unable to work either! I am beyond depressed if i can't be productive.

Comment

By all means, only you and your Doctor know your situation best. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Many, many prayers and warmest regards.
                    Love is a fruit in season at all times, within reach of every hand. ~ The Blessed Mother Teresa

Status: Diagnosed October 2006 via cystoscopy with hydrodistention. Max anesthetized bladder capacity only 250 cc's. Mast cells and pinpoint bleeding found.

Remission for me means less pain for more days than not. Frequency is inevitable with a bladder this tiny! That is ok though. The difference between when I was diagnosed and now, is that I have embraced that fact. Me and the loo, we are one.

Comment

Working...
                    X