Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pregnant - Want to share a positive story!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant - Want to share a positive story!

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to share a positive story about my IC and pregnancy. When I was searching for info the last few years everything felt scary and sad so I wanted to put a little sunshine here and hopefully it can give at least someone hope!

I was diagnosed young (23?), on Elmiron consistantly for many years, successfully. When I was younger and more recently diagnosed I used to read all of these scary posts about not being able to have children due to many reasons and got comfortable with the fact that I would adopt one day. Now that I'm married, my husband (while OK with adoption) wanted to see if we could try to have our own kids naturally. About a year and a half ago (age 35) I started seeing an amazing Uro here in San Diego (I think he's on one of those top ten lists on this site) and I'm so glad I did.

I'm definitely one of the lucky ones, meaning I don't have terrible pain associated with my IC and the doc said because I caught it so early, I have been able to manage my IC very well. He even upped my dose from 3 times a day to 4 pills to try and knock out those last few symptoms that creep up. I started asking about the possibility of getting pregnant and he didn't even flinch! I thought for sure I would be "high risk" or there would be some terrible warning or I'd have to get off Elmiron (impossible), but he told me that Elmiron is safe to take while pregnant AND breastfeed, which I then confirmed with two OBGYNs. (The molecules are too large to pass through the placenta). I'm now 17 weeks pregnant (age 36) and aside from the very occasional "didn't I JUST go to the bathroom" feeling, I have felt no increased IC symptoms! YAY! I started drinking more OJ to get the vitamin c and calcium and after awhile I had to pull it back because I felt like maybe it was going to cause an issue, but even then, it didn't turn into a flare.

A few weeks into the pregnancy, I thought I might have been having a flare...I had to pee about every 45 minutes, but after like 10 seconds of research, MOST women go through this for a few weeks early on in the pregnancy and then it DOES go away, due to hormones, and mine did! Just like the books said.

I know it's still early and have just over 5 months to go, but so far so good! I'd love to hear other peoples positive pregnancy stories and answer any questions!
    -Erica
    IC
    Symptoms Began 4/03
    Diagnosed 9/03
    Started Elmiron 9/03 - 100mg X3 a day (As of 7/14 taking 2 in the morning and 1 at night, as of 11/14, taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night for 4 total per day. As of 7/17 taking 3 in the morning and 3 at night to knock out last symptoms)

VVS
    Diagnosed 6/07
    Hydroxyzine 25mg/day (Stopped taking when I was trying to get pregnant and have not restarted after birth of baby.)
    Estrace Cream X2 a day (Stopped using before and during my pregnancy. Have not restarted.)

Re: Pregnant - Want to share a positive story!

I'm also 17 wks pregnant! Thanks for sharing your encouragement with others. It's important to share that IC shouldn't and won't take away from the joys that life has to offer if you don't let it. I developed IC while pregnant last year, and while it was scary and uncomfortable it didn't stop me from doing it again this time around! Pregnancy is uncomfortable in its own right and that's important to know going in. This time around I am armed with knowledge and my doctors are aware. I'm on Elmiron and an OAB med as approved by my OBGYN. Other than feeling like I have to use the restroom often, I am fine. That's true for most pregnancies anyways! Good luck and thanks for sharing! Babies are fabulous and totally worth any pain and discomfort we go through!

Comment

I wish we had an applause sign! I'll just use \ / for clapping. Thank you for sharing encouragement.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Yahoo!!!!!

I am always so sad when women with IC feel like they have to avoid having children because of this disease. Having a child is one of the most incredible life changing experiences a person can have!

Happy happy happy happy for you!!!!! Wishing you blessings and CONTINUED health and wellness during your pregnancy! Please keep us in the loop! We love happy stories!

Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
        IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
        IC Diet Website
        For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
        Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
        Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
        IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Originally posted by Karabie View Post
          I'm also 17 wks pregnant! Thanks for sharing your encouragement with others. It's important to share that IC shouldn't and won't take away from the joys that life has to offer if you don't let it. I developed IC while pregnant last year, and while it was scary and uncomfortable it didn't stop me from doing it again this time around! Pregnancy is uncomfortable in its own right and that's important to know going in. This time around I am armed with knowledge and my doctors are aware. I'm on Elmiron and an OAB med as approved by my OBGYN. Other than feeling like I have to use the restroom often, I am fine. That's true for most pregnancies anyways! Good luck and thanks for sharing! Babies are fabulous and totally worth any pain and discomfort we go through!
          Congrats! That's wonderful! I'm curious about being on Elmiron and OAB meds at the same time, do you mind talking about that a little? I ask because when I was diagnosed many years ago my old uro had asked if anyone in my family had similar issues, but they don't. When I met with my new Uro, he asked the same thing. Then just a few weeks ago (at 63) my mom was diagnosed with OAB and is responding well to that kind of medication. Does the 2 separate meds treat different symptoms that you have from IC? Or do you have IC and OAB? Anyway, congrats again!
          IC
          Symptoms Began 4/03
          Diagnosed 9/03
          Started Elmiron 9/03 - 100mg X3 a day (As of 7/14 taking 2 in the morning and 1 at night, as of 11/14, taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night for 4 total per day. As of 7/17 taking 3 in the morning and 3 at night to knock out last symptoms)

VVS
          Diagnosed 6/07
          Hydroxyzine 25mg/day (Stopped taking when I was trying to get pregnant and have not restarted after birth of baby.)
          Estrace Cream X2 a day (Stopped using before and during my pregnancy. Have not restarted.)

Comment

Working...
          X