Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to Stop Medications Before TTC? + How to deal with going med free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to Stop Medications Before TTC? + How to deal with going med free?

My husband and I are planning to start trying to conceive soon. I am on the following medications currently: elmiron, nortriptyline (similar to amitryptiline or elavil), and atarax.

My obgyn said he'd prefer me off all meds. My uro said he'd be okay with me staying on elmiron but not the others.

My question is: when before TTC should I actually ensure I'm off the meds? My uro told me to stop these meds 2 MONTHS before TTC to ensure they're out of my system, whereas my obgyn said just stopping that cycle (so, presumably 2-3 weeks before conception) should be fine. I asked a family member who's a doctor his opinion, and he said 1 month. So, now I have 3 answers to my question...

Also, would love to hear from anyone who's dealt with the effects of going med free and how you managed (psychologically or other strategies!). I am really, really struggling. I was on Lyrica too and have tapered down and gotten off it completely. I'm basically off the elmiron and atarax, but I'm struggling to get off the nortriptyline as it helps greatly with daily bladder pain. I was thinking I could ensure 9 months or so of pain going med free for the good of my future baby, but I'm struggling more than I thought. I think if I could spend these 9 months just lounging in front of the TV and relaxing I might be okay with it, but I work full time and I'm having a lot of trouble concentrating at work with all this bladder pain and frequent urination.

Also, if it takes me a while to conceive, I could potentially be med free yet not pregnant for a while (ugh).

Re: When to Stop Medications Before TTC? + How to deal with going med free?

One thing you might want to do is to talk with an OB/GYN who cares for high risk pregnancies. There may be some alternatives to help keep you comfortable. You can also get another response to the "how long before" question --- hopefully not a 4th alternative. I know there are some doctors who feel elmiron is okay during pregnancy, some at lower doses, others say no.

Warm hugs,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Congratulations on wanting to start a family. I hope all goes well and to plan. It's a beautiful thing. The nortryp will be the hardest to wean off I'm sure. It needs to be done very slowly just like you did the Lyrica. A natural supplement that mimics tricyclics is GABA. Maybe you could ask your OB about that? You just need to get the one without B6 in it. Check with your doctor to see.
      UTI 3/2015
      IC ,PFD
      prescribed meds: Endep 60mg, Elmiron 400mg, BC. Enablex 7.5mg.

Supplements: Chitomur peptide, colostrum, Echinacea, liver detox swisse, calcium citrate, glucosamine, Psyllium Husk.

Daily diet: Breakkie- oats with chia seeds and no fat milk. Post workout-turkey breast with mixed veggies. Lunch-raw green soup with rye roll and handful of peanuts/almonds. Dinner- changes but meat and veg. Dessert-banana and sugar free custard (homemade) or banana and apple bake with almonds cinnamon and honey with a dollop of coconut cream.

Tried: tramadol, cystoprotek, multi right, diazepam, vesicare, Ditropan, mirabegron, Flomax, lyrica, progesterone.

Comment

I wasn't planning on getting pregnant, so I made no change. I am 19 weeks. All I take is Elmiron and was about to ask for amitriptyline, but then found out about the pregnancy. I see both an OB and Maternal Fetal Medicine physician and they are both fine with me taking the Elmiron. I take aspirin now now as well due to past miscarriages. I also apply some essential oils to help with sleep and I have gone to hypnotherapy a few times. I read some people on here say they feel much better when they are pregnant.

Comment

I forgot to add you might want to ask about flexeril. It is category B. While it is a muscle relaxer it differs from amitriptyline by only one double bond so it may have some tca properties.

Comment

GABA is what Lyrica is diverted from it is called a pre-gabalin, I am sure your doc will know.

Think positive you could get pregnant right away, and you could be one of the ones that does better pregnant and nursing, so you may have no problems.

Of the meds you are on I believe the Aterax leaves your system the quickest, maybe you should discuss with your doc about continuing it while you taper other Med.

I think the answer should have been individual to each Med, each stays in your system different lengths of time, some build up and rake longer to clear.

You might want to go discuss this with a pharmacist, they are a wealth of info, then go armed to your doc with what the pharmacist has said.

Good luck I hope the best for you.
            My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Hey just to add I was talking about GABA the over the counter supplement not gababentin the drug.
              UTI 3/2015
              IC ,PFD

Supplements: Chitomur peptide, colostrum, Echinacea, liver detox swisse, calcium citrate, glucosamine, Psyllium Husk.

Daily diet: Breakkie- oats with chia seeds and no fat milk. Post workout-turkey breast with mixed veggies. Lunch-raw green soup with rye roll and handful of peanuts/almonds. Dinner- changes but meat and veg. Dessert-banana and sugar free custard (homemade) or banana and apple bake with almonds cinnamon and honey with a dollop of coconut cream.

Tried: tramadol, cystoprotek, multi right, diazepam, vesicare, Ditropan, mirabegron, Flomax, lyrica, progesterone.

Comment

gamma-Aminobutyric acid
                UTI 3/2015
                IC ,PFD

Comment

Sorry

I looked both up as far as I can tell gamma-Aminobutyric acid is part of gabapintion.
                  Last edited by Mothergoose; 09-25-2016, 10:04 AM.
                  My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

I completely understand your struggle. I am doing IVF and have one hell of a time when I get to the point in the transfer process where they say "OK, no more meds." One saving grace I have had is an OB said it was safe for me to take Tramadol. The IVF hormones flare up my endometriosis which then flares up my IC. I couldn't sleep and was so exhausted. I have a game plan this time around. We are about to transfer our last embryo 10/13. My bathroom looks like a hospital room, with sitz bath pan, perineal water bottles and more.

When I was trying to get pregnant the old fashion way, every month I would end up in the ER with a terrible flare. It was a struggle.

Definitely get with a doctor that will set you up with a game plan for when you do get pregnant and while you are trying ahead of time so you don't end up like I did during my last transfer, miserable. The IVF doctor wouldn't treat my bladder and my Urologist wouldn't treat me because she didn't want to mess up the IVF. I finally saw an OB after several days of suffering.

Best of luck to you my friend. Wishing you all the best!

Comment

Hi,

I am new to these threads and I am wondering what people's thoughts are on bladder installations? I always did them before while pregnant (4 MC's later) and this is the first I have heard NOT to do it.
                      My current instillation includes: heparin, sodium bicarbonate and lidocaine.

My doc told me to discontinue Elmiron. Ranitidine (which I would take with it is fine).

I now have a new doctor who has also prescribed me-naphos and fertility doc says no to that one.

I just found this site so thought that I would add on to it. Thx.

Comment

Originally posted by jaysera View Post
                        Hi,

I am new to these threads and I am wondering what people's thoughts are on bladder installations? I always did them before while pregnant (4 MC's later) and this is the first I have heard NOT to do it.
                        My current instillation includes: heparin, sodium bicarbonate and lidocaine.

My doc told me to discontinue Elmiron. Ranitidine (which I would take with it is fine).

I now have a new doctor who has also prescribed me-naphos and fertility doc says no to that one.

I just found this site so thought that I would add on to it. Thx.
                        If you're not feeling comfortable with what your doctor is telling you, I suggest you get a second opinion --- that doesn't mean you must change doctors --- and no ethical physician will object to a second opinion. I hope you'll hear from others here.

Warm hugs,
                        Donna

P.S. to the IC Network.
                        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I'd been told that installations were fine for pregnancy. I had your exact cocktail and it made things much worse for me for months in 2015, so that's not something I could do. Sorry about your miscarriages. I've had a number myself - most pre IC while taking absolutely no medication. Heparin is a large molecular weight molecule. It cannot get through a placenta through your blood, let alone your bladder. But when I did receive the one installation that urogyn specifically informed me that such treatment was considered safe for pregnancy. Here's what is challenging about health care professionals. There is disagreement among them. It may be based on their own experience with a medication, history, acceptance of the way published research studies have been done etc. For example, I do take elmiron. 2 OBs and an MFM are fine with me taking it. I see some folks on here who have been told not to take it. Honestly, it does sometimes come down to you speaking with more than one provider if needed, asking them for reasons why they disagree with a treatment, reading peer reviewed journal articles in their entirety so that you can get information about the traits of the population involved in the study as participants, and going with what you feel most comfortable with.

Comment

Working...
                          X