X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it finally worked!

Hello All,

I think I'm finally pregnant. Yeah! :woohoo:

The problem I'm having is that I'm only 4 weeks and 2 days in, and my bladder is already giving me issues. No super bad, just annoying. I'm not in pain or anything, but the sense of urgency is definitely up. It's not a huge problem during normal hours because I can sort of ignore it/work around it. However, when I need to take a nap (pretty tired - ) or when it's time to go to bed, it's really hard to ignore. I'm back to waking up to pee every hour and a half through the night. Again, it could be WAY worse, and at this point I can handle it, but if there's a safe way to make it less annoying... great!

I've eliminated several meds and my Drs switched me to preg category B meds where we could, so I don't have to be totally med free which is fantastic. So I can, and probably will, take some things, but I'd obviously like to take as little as possible. I've also had to stop my home instillations.

My questions for all of you are... Have any of you sucessfully used a TENS unit on your lower back while pregnant? I have a TENS, but my doctor didn't really have any advice regarding using it when pregnant, but I know they use them a lot in the UK for labor. I'm just trying to get my body to calm down for sleep, but want to make sure that I'm not damaging uterine nerves, baby, or something else in the process. I'm also sitting on refridgerated (not frozen) cold pack while at work (I sit at a computer all day).

Are there any other self care techniques that any of you have used succussfully? Hot pads/hot baths are probably out. Any excercises (I was doing weight lifting and treadmill work prior the positive test) that you recommend? Yoga? Stretching?

Any adivce on how to cope would be great. My first Dr appointment is in 2 more weeks, so I have a bit to wait.

Wish me luck!

Aly
    p.s. current meds are Elmiron, prevacid (for GERD), and low dose of ditropan. Also ambien as needed for sleep and Tylenol #3 as needed for pain - but trying not to use these.
    Dx: 3/05
    Symptoms: Pain, urgency, frequency, insomnia

Treatments: Neurontin, Ultram, Elmiron, Detrol LA, Ambien/Sonata, Prilosec/Prevacid (for GERD), brisk walks, cold packs, hot pads, meditation.

ICNLesa's Journal

I also see from ICNLesa's pregnancy journal, that there was some minor flaring, then symptoms when back to "normal." Have others experienced the same?

Aly
    Dx: 3/05
    Symptoms: Pain, urgency, frequency, insomnia

Treatments: Neurontin, Ultram, Elmiron, Detrol LA, Ambien/Sonata, Prilosec/Prevacid (for GERD), brisk walks, cold packs, hot pads, meditation.

Comment

First off, congratulations! :woohoo: Second of all, I am an athlete, and it is my understanding that you can exercise the same as before you were pregnant. Of course weight lifting is out, but im sure you can still walk/jog on the treadmill to help tire you out. I would ask your doctor just to make sure though, since i'm not an obstitritician!(sp)

Erika
      IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
      Interstim Since 5/25/07!
      Birth Control

Comment

Hi

congrats, I am in with you Aly, I just found out as well and am about 4 1/2 wks along. I am on similiar meds, elmiron, hydroxyzine, my bladder instills and then ambien and vicodin which I use daily.

Already I am totally nauseated and then I have night time frequency, I do a bladder instill and go to bed and wake up and have been then having to get up like every 1/2 hour until I "get up" for the day. I think it is hormones but hopes it goes away.

Drop em a PM or respond, I would love to swap emails as we both embark on this at the same time.....with IC!!!!

Cheers-
        Melanie from CA
        I am blessed to have an Indiana Pouch now
        IC since childhood, finally diagnosed at 31 yo
        PFD/Pelvic Pain,SI joint and LBP
        Low Back Pain s/p spinal fusion at 19 with more nastiness in back
        Hydrodistension 2001, 2005, 2011 w capsacian, 2011 with botox/ super pubic tube
        Interstim trial and removel 2002,C-Section 2007 and 2010, Post Partum Depression, post partum hypertension, Idopathic hypothalmic amenorrhea
        Radical Cystectomy with Indiana Pouch 2/3/12--->multiple complications and revision of ureters in pouch due to a giant ball of scar tissue in 8/12, occasional pylo, L kidney small and scarred, low flow
        Hysterectomy 2/3/12 w one ovary removed
        Dry Eyes
        L radical nephrectomy 1//3/14 after a long "what if " the conversation, kidney working 4 %, path said full of absesses
        Still have issues, still take meds.

I have worked some, been doing pilates, just got a post masters in nursing, learning to pace myself.
        Learning things I can't do, learning things that I need to take a LONG time to master and regain myself, but mostly just so happy to be bladder free.:

Comment

Melanie626

Just wanted to drop a quick reply to your post. I am also pregnant with IC and was put on the Hydroxyzine while in the hospital, until I was told by my OB that this is a pergnancy category C, as well as the vicodone. I was on vicodine as needed prior to pregnany, but due to the risk they switched me to oxycodone as it is lower risk at only a category B.
          Just wanted to throw that out there. I of course an not a DR or OB, just wanted to share the info I recently learned about the meds.
          Congrats in your pregnancy and good luck :-)

Comment

Thanks-

I will ask my MD today as I have a visit, I think there is so much research on hydroxyzine and it has been around so long that they aren't seeing negative issues with it, but good to ask. Same with vicodin. I appreciate the info! Melanie who has one cranky bladder today!!!!
            Interstim trial and removel 2002,C-Section 2007 and 2010, Post Partum Depression, post partum hypertension, Idopathic hypothalmic amenorrhea
            Radical Cystectomy with Indiana Pouch 2/3/12--->multiple complications and revision of ureters in pouch due to a giant ball of scar tissue in 8/12, occasional pylo, L kidney small and scarred, low flow
            Dry Eyes
            L radical nephrectomy 1//3/14 after a long "what if " the conversation, kidney working 4 %, path said full of absesses

I have worked some, been doing pilates, just got a post masters in nursing, learning to pace myself.
            Learning things I can't do, learning things that I need to take a LONG time to master and regain myself, but mostly just so happy to be bladder free.:

Comment

Oh

Oops, talked to MD today and exercise is OK as long as not to fatigue, I know there was a big study done about exercise in pregnancy (my trainer went to a conference on it) so ask you MD about it- I don't know more then that
              Dry Eyes

Comment

I know the stim needs to be shut off during pregnancy. I know thats not much help.
                'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

exercise precaution in pregnancy

I'm a mother of five. As for the exercise part just be careful. Read YOUR body. Don't compare yourself to others, because everyone has different experiences. I used to jog, but kept having miscarriages. When I stopped jogging my pregnancies went full term. I suggest walking AT YOUR PACE, gentle stretches, and floor exercises.

If you get too winded or dizzy, take a break or take it down a few notches. If you have cramps and or start spotting STOP IMMEDIATELY! Rest with your feet elevated above your hips, and drink lots of water

Pregnancy is already hard enough without IC.
                  A miscarriage is not worth it. I had one at 3mo gestation and it was worse than my full term labors (and I have had 32 hour labors and one 9lb baby!).

As for meds I have not been diagnosed with IC long enough to know.
                  I am currently nursing my 1yo and am on Elmiron and atarax.

I also need to stick really close to the IC diet.

Comment

i was told by my pain management doc that TENS is NOT safe during pregnancy....keep hydrated, and take the tylenol 3's if you need them....also stick to the diet as much as possible!!

the first trimester was awful for me, i was in soo much pain from throwing up, and my bladder bothering me from being super dehydrated.....but once the morning sickness went away my bladder got much much better.

take it easy you're body is getting use to being pregnant, and once it gets better you'll feel better!
                    Erika
                    wife to Jeremy
                    mom to Emma (3-8-05)
                    and Natalie (7-23-07)

Meds i'm currently taking:
                    Lortab as needed for pain

Meds that did not help:
                    Detrol LA
                    Lexapro (caused urgency)
                    Amatryptaline 10mg once a day (helped IC but made me feel like CRAP)

Comment

Working...
                    X