Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GriffsMommy
    replied
    Great news Aly! Thanks for letting us know!

Leave a comment:

• shvlnose
    replied
    Just wanted to update those who were following this...

I went for my u/s today. It wasn't too bad. I just did the thing where it wasn't empty but was FULL. It seemed to work OK and they got the measurements they needed for this one. I felt like I needed to pee, but I think some of that was just because I knew I couldn't.

The measurement was within the range they were looking for and they did see the nasal bone, so... it looks like the chances of my baby having downs syndrome are on the low end of the specturm. Which was fantasic to hear.

I still have blood tests to take, and the other "big" u/s at 19 weeks! Hopefully that one will go as well. But for now, everything appears to be on course. Yeah!

Thanks all for the advice and support!
    Aly

Leave a comment:

• Emma's Mommy
    replied
    let us know how it goes!

Leave a comment:

• melanie626
    replied
    Allison-
    That is my plan, treat at MD office, then drink- they say 20-30 minutes to have it hit the bladder. Call the OB's office and ask. I am having my testing done a few weeks later so my bladder isnt' such an issue, is that an option?

Will write more later-

Melanie

Leave a comment:

• shvlnose
    replied
    Unfortunately I think he was just trying to be honest. Sort of a "I can't think of any other way to get these measurement properly, so you're going to HAVE to sit with a full bladder. I know it will hurt, but I can't change that" kind of thing.

I'm in a relatively small town and there aren't any other OB options - there are 4 doctors at this practice, but it's the only practice for 45 miles. I can take my pain meds after the u/s. They don't want me taking them preventatively because they want to get accurate movement and heart rate measurements (in addition to the nuchal fold). It is also the only u/s services offered in town.

At this point I've asked everyone I can think of for alternatives and it sounds like I'm just going to have to suck it up. Sort of like birth (though I'm sure that will be on an entirely different scale) - yep it will hurt... but I have to do it.

I suppose I'd rather be in bladder pain than risk another miscarriage by having an amnio. I'll go in with "some" but not a totally full bladder, and just ask them to try and get the number they need ASAP so I can pee. We'll see how it goes (sigh!).

Thanks for the support and advice!
    Aly

Leave a comment:

• Emma's Mommy
    replied
    Originally posted by shvlnose View Post
    I asked the doctor about it yesterday, explained about the IC, and he said "um, yeh... that's going to be a really uncomfortable day for you. I'm sorry." But that's pretty much where he left it.
    Aly

what a jerk i'd find a new OB b/c it seems like his bedside manner sucks!! either than or he knows nothing about IC.....either of which isnt good!

Leave a comment:

• Billsbaby
    replied
    i wouldn't think you would want to go buying little girl clothes because of that!!! i think their old wives tales and their fun to do when your pregnant,it makes pregnancy more fun.what i am saying is,i didn't believe in all that and then my sons heartbeat was in the 120's which they say is boy,and my daughter was in the 160's which is supposedly girl.so i was amazed.plus we also did the wedding ring on a string over my belly and that worked.but if those kinda things aren't your thing,then thats fine.i was just trying to have fun and give you some things to try while preggers.it was the most exciting time of my life with both my pregnancies.i absolutely loved being pregnant,and i loved listening to all the old wives tales.

Leave a comment:

• Billsbaby
    replied
    did somebody take my post off that i just posted awhile ago??? it seems to have disappeared

Leave a comment:

• shvlnose
    replied
    http://www.obgyn.net/english/pubs/fe...se/ehr-age.htm

They've pretty much disproven the whole heart rate/gender thing. It also depends on WHEN the heart rate is taken.

At 6w 3d it was 112, at 7w 3d it was 140, and yesterday (10w 3d) it was "in the 160s) - all durring this pregnancy. It varies quite a bit as the weeks progress.

I would LOVE to have a girl, but there is NO WAY I'm going to start buying frilly little dresses based on that alone.

Aly
    Last edited by shvlnose; 05-04-2007, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Billsbaby
    replied
    160's means a girl!!! everyone always told me that boys would be on the lower end(120's)and girls on the higher end(160-180"s)and i never truly believed it,but then my girls heartbeat was always in the 160's and my son was always around the 120's!so now i always believe in that.good luck

Leave a comment:

• shvlnose
    replied
    Thank guys! And keep the advice coming.

Yes, I did ask, and yes it is necessary to be "full" - the "some, but not totally full" advice may work. It is because they "cannot properly visualize some of the structures and get clear messurements with out it." And as you exit your first trimester, they apparently can't be sure of getting accurate messurments via a trasvag u/s either (sigh.).

I feel I need this scan - to check for the downs markers. I would like to avoid having an amnio if possible, but need to know of other indicators are pointing to higher risk before I can make a firm decision. I'd rather be in pain from the u/s that increase my risk (all be it low) of miscarriage with an amnio, if I can help it.

I asked the doctor about it yesterday, explained about the IC, and he said "um, yeh... that's going to be a really uncomfortable day for you. I'm sorry." But that's pretty much where he left it.

I'm still worried, but it's not for 3 weeks, so I'm going to try and calm down for now. On the up side, I was able to hear the heart beat via doppler (at only 10w 3d). Yeah! It was "in the 160s." Yippy! :woohoo:

Thank you all again!
    Aly

Leave a comment:

• dancemomof2
    replied
    I had vaginal U/S in the beginning and later your bladder is usually full enough anyway that the drinking thing isn't a problem.

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    When I was pregnant, I also never had to drink the water, but when you are having the ultra sound when not pregnant and for a diagnostic procedure, you have to have a full bladder. Gosh, I have to see my gyne tomorrow for some issues I am having and am afraid I will have to have an ultrasound and worry about the 32 ounces of water you have to drink. Heck, when I did not even have IC had to do the ultrasound, it was bad, I cant imagine having one now with a full bladder like that.
    But I really dont think you need to drink the water as you are pregnant. Also, you could just ask if you can do the trans vaginal ultrasound, that way you dont need to drink anything.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• stac7_8
    replied
    First let me say congrats to you on ur PG. With my daughter we did all the US in the office and I did not have to have a full bladder.

With my son...who is now almost 8 months I had to go to the hospital to have it done and I had to have a full bladder. I'm pretty sure I had IC when I was PG with him. I won't lie to you it was hard to have a baby on ur bladder and then to have it as full as u can get it.

This is what I did and I am not doc or anything ok. But right before I went to the appt and while I was sitting there I drank on some water. I already knew that if I had my bladder FULL like they wanted that I would be in Pain....didn't know why at the time. So when they started the scan of course the tech says is ur bladder full and my response each time was "It's as full as I can get it"

This way there was something in there but not really FULL. They were able to see whatever they needed.

I also had bad miagraines during all 3 of my PG's.

With my last PG he was so low that he was pushing my bladder out....litterally you could see it. Kind gross!!!

I hope all goes well for you and ur hubby. Please remember this lil bit of advise.......as u will get so much about what to do with babies.

YOU ARE THAT BABY'S MOTHER......TRUST TRUST TRUST YOUR GUT. If you think something is wrong with ur baby ie ear infection or tummy ache whatever.....TRUST WHAT UR GUT SAYS If u feel that all is well then cool, if u feel like u should have him/her checked out then PLEASE DO THAT.

My oldest almost died just because I was listing to the doc and they could not figure out what was wrong with my 4 week old baby. I had a nightmare that he died....and so his daddy and I had him transfered to Texas Childrens and at 5 weeks old he had surgery and now he is 10 years old and weighs in at about 115 or so and stands at 5 1 or so and wears a size 10 mens shoe.

congrats again

Leave a comment:

• Emma's Mommy
    replied
    it isnt important that you have a FULL bladder....there just needs to be something in there so the tec can clearly see where the uterus ends and the bladder begins.

so drink a bottle of water on your drive into the OB's office so your bladder won't be empty but at the same time it wont be soo full that you're in pain during the scan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X