I'm Pregnant!...and flaring :o(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Pregnant!...and flaring :o(

My husband and I found out last weekend that we are expecting! We're only 5 weeks along, but very excited nonetheless...

only problem other than the 'dog nose' and being turned off certain foods is that from day 1 I have been flaring constantly...

I'm currently on 50 mg Elavil and Tylenol Arthritis for pain (it's extended relief and works well) but I am constantly peeing and getting no relief!

any other moms or moms to be out there who have any wisdom they could pass along to help the flares?? I am allowed to use my body wrap (like a magic bag but nicer smelling!) if LOW heat but even then the pressure is insane...

it will be all worth it in the end, but right now, I am practically house/bed/bathroom/couch bound!!

Congrats!!!!:woohoo:
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Have you talked with your ob/gyn or consulted with your uro? I'm sure between the two they will have some good, healthy, and safe ideas.

I remember when I flared often during pregnancy, my uro would suggest heparin instillations. He said this technique was safe for pregnancy. Maybe ask your doctors what their thoughts are.

Congrats on the baby!!! And take it easy and rest as much as possible.
      Tons of support,
      Jaime

IC angel helping families in need for the holidays. [email protected]

Comment

thanks ladies!

we've actually had problems with my urologist - as in he doesn't feel I require any treatment since I have a 'mild case' of IC...
        My family doctor has been my saviour(!!) and we discussed the heparin instills actually, I'm quite excited to try them - with my new urologist...it just stinks b/c I don't know when I'll be able to get in with the new one and I could've started them last week with the old one...but after the lashing I got for being on any medication b/c 'he didn't prescribe them for me, and you don't need them, women who get pregnant always experience remission', I was in tears and chose to discontinue treatment of any kind with him...
        (no symptoms my butt! let's do a bladder transplant for a day or two and we'll see what he thinks then, lol)

Comment

Your old uro sounds like a jerk!!!!!!

Congratulations on the pregnancy! Your IC might get better in the 2nd trimester. I know mine got worse in the 3rd but I had a nice reprieve there for awhile. Then after my c-section my IC was okay.

Anyway, congrats again...and that old Uro needs a refresher course in manners!
          Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

My husband and I are trying to conceive and I will be going off of Elmiron this Wednesday (yikes). But my uro and gyno said that it was safe to still take hydroxzine at night. This helps me with not having to go at night and calms my bladder. My uro also said that if my symptoms get worse while trying that I could get rescue instillations of lidocaine, heparin and something else. Congrats on the baby! I hope I will be giving that news soon!
            Diagnosed with IC - March 2007
            Diagnosed with vulvodynia - June 2007
            -Lots of prayer
            -Taking Elmiron and Hydroxzine (stoppped because of pregnancy)
            -Taking Prelief as needed (stopped because of pregnancy)
            -IC diet

Comment

Many OBs have a policy of not seeing a patient until they are 10-12 weeks along. Call the office and let them know you need to see someone more quickly to discuss medications and let them know you are in pain NOW.

You can check the meds in your current cocktail by going to www.rxlist.com. It will give you a general idea of what pregnancy category your current medications are in. However, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR! Every woman, every doctor, and every pregnancy is different. Please check with a professional.

I have NOT been one of the lucky ones who went into remission and I have stayed on several of my meds. My docs OK'd the occassional use of tylenol 3 for flares while pregnant. If it helps... I seem to find that my bladder flares at times that I suspect my uterus and/or baby are going through growth spurts. I had flares from week 5-8, and then off and on for 3-5 days at a time since then. Some days ARE better than others, so that gives me hope and lets me recooperate for the next one.

Also I have found that being even more strict with the IC diet has been helpful. I got away with a LOT more semi-problematic foods before pregnancy. I have to be more diligent now, to keep the flares low, but it does help.

Do your homework as far as meds go and talk to a doctor to get some help/relief. Your old uro definitely sounds like a clueless jerk - there are certain women who do NOT go into remission. Congratuations on the pregnancy!

Aly

p.s. - I'm about 18 weeks along now and hanging in there pretty good. Other than the bladder flares, I've actually felt pretty good, so there is some hope! Hang in there!
              Dx: 3/05
              Symptoms: Pain, urgency, frequency, insomnia

Treatments: Neurontin, Ultram, Elmiron, Detrol LA, Ambien/Sonata, Prilosec/Prevacid (for GERD), brisk walks, cold packs, hot pads, meditation.

Comment

Working...
              X