28 wks Pregnant and Dr. prescribed Desipramine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 wks Pregnant and Dr. prescribed Desipramine

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with IC in 2010 but had symptoms that were misdiagnosed since 2002. Prior to becoming pregnant, i was taking Elmiron and having the weekly bladder instillations. I went into remission prior to pregnancy (stopped taking Elmiron) and was so grateful to be symptom free UNTIL NOW. Unfortunately, within the last two weeks, I am having a flare up. My OBGYN has prescribed me desipramine (an antidepressant -25mg x1day), pyridium 3xday, and clariton daily. After about a week, my symptoms were better. I started doing research on possible side effects to the fetus of desipramine and became scared. I quit taking it for two days, and my symptoms have returned. I talked to my Dr's nurse and she assured me the Dr. Would not prescribe something that would harm the baby and that the dosage of desipramine in ver low. I took another dose last night, but now I'm worried sick that I may harm my baby. The pain is terrible but I'm thinking I should just try to endure it for the remainder of my pregnancy. Has anyone else taken Desipramine while pregnant? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Btw, I have a 3 yr old, and was so lucky to be in remission throughout my entire pregnancy with him. Just goes to show, every pregnancy is different.

Comment

Hi
      hi, I have never used this forum so I am a little nervous.

I have had IC for 12 years now and as everyone it has been a rollacoaster of medication, tests, confusion and tears. We had a terrible year in 2010 and I was unable to go out or do anything. Now I have DSMO installations every 8 weeks. I know this is an old treaTment but it has really saved me and gave me my life back.

Anyway my husband and I are about start a family and I am so scared and confused but also so so excited. I am just co fused about the medication. I am currently on gabapentin and they are advising that I will b able to take this. Has anyone been pregnant and taken gabapentin?

What's is it like being an IC Mum?

If anyone has any advice bot IC and pregnancy I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Shawneeb View Post
        Hello all, I am new to this forum. I was diagnosed with IC in 2010 but had symptoms that were misdiagnosed since 2002. Prior to becoming pregnant, i was taking Elmiron and having the weekly bladder instillations. I went into remission prior to pregnancy (stopped taking Elmiron) and was so grateful to be symptom free UNTIL NOW. Unfortunately, within the last two weeks, I am having a flare up. My OBGYN has prescribed me desipramine (an antidepressant -25mg x1day), pyridium 3xday, and clariton daily. After about a week, my symptoms were better. I started doing research on possible side effects to the fetus of desipramine and became scared. I quit taking it for two days, and my symptoms have returned. I talked to my Dr's nurse and she assured me the Dr. Would not prescribe something that would harm the baby and that the dosage of desipramine in ver low. I took another dose last night, but now I'm worried sick that I may harm my baby. The pain is terrible but I'm thinking I should just try to endure it for the remainder of my pregnancy. Has anyone else taken Desipramine while pregnant? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
        Hi there. I had a baby in Jan of this year. While I did not take an anti-depressant, I did take pyridium 2 times a day off and on during the last trimester (almost daily the last month of my pregnancy). My baby turned out fine. I also took prevacid daily. I was very nervous about taking these medications, and saw a high risk OB for it. He was very helpful and knowledgable about medications and how they impact the fetus. Would you be able to get in with a high risk OB? Honestly, if I saw that there were potential negative impacts to the fetus, I would be really nervous too. BUT if the pain is so bad without the med that you cannot tolerate it, then you may decide to take the risk.
        ~Valery~
        Dx with IC 3/2009 - Cysto w/Hydro
        Meds: Elmiron (400mg), Atarax (10mg), Elavil (20mg), Pyridium (as needed)

Comment

Hi Shawneeb,

I feel your pain we r getting ready to try for our first and it's a mind field. It's so difficult with the medication. The saying my doctor uses is if the harm to the mother is greater than the harm to pair then he will intervene. He believes that not taking the medication can cause harm to the baby due to the stress the mother is under due to the pain.

Shawneeb I am like you and want to go medication free (and secretly whilt my husband and OB r talking I am thinking of going off them anyway) but I think the reality is that unfortunately we have IC and that's just not possible. my husband made a good point the other day he said 'would he have said they where safe if he even had the tinest doubt they were not'? He has the education in this area . Also imagine the suing liabilities if he just took a guess'. He was right these doctors have the education (u obviously need tom find a good one) and you need to trust them

I feel selfish if I take the medication, i feel that if I take the medication it's for my comfort for my pain but my OB is slowly convincing me otherwise. He said our babies feel everything so the stress from the pain is almost just as dangerous.

Sorry I am not much help but thank u so much for yr post. I am getting ready for our first and I am petrified. How do cope with yr illness and yr a 3 yr old?

Also i am not sure if this will help but I swapped my anti depressant for ditropan (I am in Australia, not sure if u have this available to u) and it has been great. Ditropan is perfectly safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It has worked for me so maybe try that one if u havt already.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for yr post Valery its so nice to hear someone has done it and the baby is fine. I have a high risk OB and he keeps telling me this but I and finding it hard to believe him.

How were u whilst u were pregnant? I am so scared of the unknown.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sbg;580496]Hi Shawneeb,

I feel your pain we r getting ready to try for our first and it's a mind field. It's so difficult with the medication. The saying my doctor uses is if the harm to the mother is greater than the harm to pair then he will intervene. He believes that not taking the medication can cause harm to the baby due to the stress the mother is under due to the pain.

Shawneeb I am like you and want to go medication free (and secretly whilt my husband and OB r talking I am thinking of going off them anyway) but I think the reality is that unfortunately we have IC and that's just not possible. my husband made a good point the other day he said 'would he have said they where safe if he even had the tinest doubt they were not'? He has the education in this area . Also imagine the suing liabilities if he just took a guess'. He was right these doctors have the education (u obviously need tom find a good one) and you need to trust them

I feel selfish if I take the medication, i feel that if I take the medication it's for my comfort for my pain but my OB is slowly convincing me otherwise. He said our babies feel everything so the stress from the pain is almost just as dangerous.

Sorry I am not much help but thank u so much for yr post. I am getting ready for our first and I am petrified. How do cope with yr illness and yr a 3 yr old?

Also i am not sure if this will help but I swapped my anti depressant for ditropan (I am in Australia, not sure if u have this available to u) and it has been great. Ditropan is perfectly safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It has worked for me so maybe try that one if u havt already.

Also we a visiting a doctor who is part of Mother Safe these are doctors that deal only with pregnant women on medication. They have all the research on the drugs and so on. I am in Australia so not sure if this is available where u r but its very helpful. They know all the drugs inside out and also the true facts about the side effects. I see them next week so i will let u know how I go.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X