IC better with pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IC better with pregnancy

I am 8 weeks pregnant with my first child after undergoing in vitro fertilization and I wanted to let women who are nervous about pregnancy with IC that my IC symptoms are better with pregnancy. My ob said that their are lots of estrogen receptors in the bladder and maybe the high levels of hormones that pregnancy brings helps coat and protect the bladder some.
    I am able to tolerate some citrus which is awesome because I missed it so much and I need the vitamin C more than ever now.
    Hopefully, this moderate remission in IC will stay with me throughout the whole pregnancy and afterwards!

That's great! I hope it continues through your whole pregnancy.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing well! My IC was in remission during my pregnancy and many months after. It is still behaving except for the occasional flare up Congrats!
      Meds: Percocet PRN; Pyridium PRN. First symptoms Dec 2005. Diagnosed in March 2006.

I am the proud mom of a two year old boy! I was lucky enough to be in remission my entire pregnancy. If you have any questions regarding my pregancy, delivery, breastfeeding, or pumping, feel free to contact me!

Im on Facebook! Just tell me you are from the ICN. Look me up under Kim Wayne.

I love working as a CNA in a nursing home. Started school in August part time. Going for my LPN!!!!

Comment

That's great news! The same thing happened to me; during pregnancy and for eight years after, I was in remission! Yes, that's eight years, you read it right. It was fantastic.

Comment

That's wonderful news! I also hope it continues for you throughout the whole pregancy and beyond. Take care of you both and congratulations!
          "The first time her laughter unfurled it's wings into the wind....
          We knew that the world would never be the same."
          ~Brian Andres

Baby Kaitlyn was born on 07/08/01 after a successful pregnancy with IC!

Comment

That was also my experience-. It helped that I nursed my babies too , but when I finally stopped my symptoms came back. It was nice while it lasted!

Comment

i'm relieved to see that people feel better during pregnancy and sometimes even after. i was afraid that symptoms might be worse because of all the pressure on the bladder. i'm not planning on getting pregnant anytime soon, but i want children very much, and sometimes i worry that this disease will prevent me from being the best mom i know i can be.
              lucky to live in hawaii but having a hard time and have a lot of questions.

vesicare

detrol la
              pyridium

ditropan
              buspirone

?(new medications)
              chinese herbs: golden form with rehmannia

triggers: alcohol, coffee, soda, chocolate, citrus, sex, spicy food, soy, running/jumping, pms, birth control pills, stress, and lack of zzz.

Comment

How did you feel after pregnancy???
                And this question is for everyone who felt better during pregnancy---how bad was your IC---mild, moderate, severe?
                I'm considering trying starting in December. This will be my second baby, but I did not have IC on the first pregnancy. My symptoms began in Jan of this year and I was diagnosed in April. I have been able to manage pretty well with medication. Recently, I have had some bad flares, but I'm usually at 85% most of the time. I still would love to be in full remission during pregnancy and after, but am wondering how bad everyone's IC was before hand!
                Many, Many thanks for this great information and I'm so glad you guys had great pregnancies!
                --EMME

Comment

I am 3 months post baby number 3. The first two babies my IC was awful the first two weeks for some reason then it went away until about the last month. I don't know if it was the pressure of the baby. Then after I had the baby my bladder went nuts and this has been the worst. BUT I HAVE to tell you I just joined and I saw other girls saying their IC was great when they were breast feeding which I didn't produce milk and the big #2 I had to have csection with all 3 and they say that can make IC worse. SO THIS IS just me maybe. Also my IC has gotten worse over the years which might explain why it worse this 3rd time around. The other blessing was my IBS was also gone. I wish I could bottle up those relaxant hormones and store them for the future!!

Comment

Re: IC better with pregnancy

that's great, can you post throughout the pregnancy? I'm dealing with infertility and endometriosis so I'm curious the road ahead!

Comment

I'm within 6 weeks of delivering twins, my #3 and #4. My IC was very manageable before this pregnancy for about 3 years without medication. It's been relatively good during this pregnancy but over the past few weeks I've been having some bladder irritation. I've been able to drink coffee for at least 3 years but some days this irritates me, or iced tea, and some foods that I haven't been able to isolate. Since I have two older kids and a crazy schedule I probably won't breast feed my twins. I will give everyone an update on how things go after this experience. If I have a c-section I will probably also get a tubal ligation but now I am wondering if being on the birth control pill regulated my hormones and that's the reason my IC was so manageable....Totally nervous about everything because delivering two more babies vaginally will cause trauma to my bladder but a C-section will leave me vulnerable to adhesions to my bladder as the scar tissue heals. Hoping for the best.

Comment

That is great that your IC is in remission. Mine is the opposite, I was in remission before pregnancy but my IC is terrible right now - 15 weeks pregnant. Just horrible. I cannot take any medication for it so I am doing strict diet.

Comment

shortstuff! How are you doing now! You have not been on in awhile! ( which I hope is a really good thing!!)

Hope you are feeling well after your twins!!

Jenn

Originally posted by shortstuff View Post
                          I'm within 6 weeks of delivering twins, my #3 and #4. My IC was very manageable before this pregnancy for about 3 years without medication. It's been relatively good during this pregnancy but over the past few weeks I've been having some bladder irritation. I've been able to drink coffee for at least 3 years but some days this irritates me, or iced tea, and some foods that I haven't been able to isolate. Since I have two older kids and a crazy schedule I probably won't breast feed my twins. I will give everyone an update on how things go after this experience. If I have a c-section I will probably also get a tubal ligation but now I am wondering if being on the birth control pill regulated my hormones and that's the reason my IC was so manageable....Totally nervous about everything because delivering two more babies vaginally will cause trauma to my bladder but a C-section will leave me vulnerable to adhesions to my bladder as the scar tissue heals. Hoping for the best.
                          28 yrs old,

I have little to no problems now with my bladder, unless I am very stressed out, I forget to take Elmiron for a few days, or I eat or drink something that I know is a trigger...(i.e) like eating a tomato or drinking tea.... Took a long time to get here, but it IS possible to feel good again I just want people who are new to know that IT CAN get better, and for every one person who is suffering, there are hundreds of others who feel GREAT because they have control of thier IC.

What Works: Tylenol 3's, Pyridium, Elmiron (Going on 4 years now!) HOT showers!!!

Medications/ Vitamins: Elmiron-100mg 4x's daily Tylenol 3's/Advil (flaring) Vitamin D, WILD salmon oil 4x gels in the morning, Women's ONE a DAY multivitamin (the gummy kind doesn't make me flare) and PROBIOTICS!

Me in my graduation gown!

Comment

Working...
                          X