Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preg w twins - Tubal Ligation and IC?

Hi everyone,

I'm pregnant with twins and due in March. These are #3 and #4 for me and a surprise so I am most definitely done with babies if and when I survive this pregnancy. I am debating tubal ligation or making my husband get a vasectomy (I put my man on notice that I have taken plenty for this team and he can step up if necessary!). I have no problem getting a tubal, especially if these two end up a c-section (although I really hope not) but I'm nervous about this procedure negatively impacting my bladder and pelvic symptoms.

I have been very fortunate that after about 2-2.5 years of IC symptoms I started to feel a lot better without medication. I have felt mostly normal since some time in 2010 minus the occasional reminder. During this pregnancy I have had to pee a lot, but that could be the pregnancy itself. I sometimes have a little bladder pain that seems to come if I have coffee first thing in the morning or coffee or soda or something carbonated and no water to dilute things at all for many hours. Overall I am happy to say the IC part of my life has been very manageable.

Have any of you gotten a tubal and what was your experience?

Thank you!!!
    Shortstuff

Re: Preg w twins - Tubal Ligation and IC?

First of all, congratulations! And LOL over "I put my man on notice that I have taken plenty for this team and he can step up if necessary!" ...good for you!

If you can't find anyone who has experienced tubal ligation, I'd surely discuss this with your urologist then your ob/gyn. But if you can talk hubby in the vasectomy...well, that's a no-brainer.

Consider yourself very lucky that your bladder pain is limited to times you indulge in no-no foods. I flare for no apparent reason. I can't even touch caffeine or soda...ever! Sometimes I dream about it I miss it so much.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I don't know which would be more likely to irritate your bladder...a c-section or vaginal birth. But whatever the answer, I hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful and the birth of those precious babies goes off without a hitch.

Experienced first symptoms in 2007
    Diagnosed with IC 6/13

Diagnosed with PFD (Pelvic Floor Dysfunction) 8/13

Medications: .5 mg. Ativan, occasionally for spasms

Supplements: DH Aloe Vera capsules, 3 per day for maintenance and 6-12 per day during flares

Following Strict IC Diet

Comment

I had my tubes tied uneventfully, as far as my bladder goes. My problem was they gave me lidocaine with adrenaline in it, which I had told them I was allergic to.

They were a littler surprised when they lost my BP, and as they put it almost lost me.

Then with the problems and extra time, my blood sugar dropped too low, surprise again.

But my bladder did fine, it just took a few days to recover from the surgery.

Maybe more for you just after having twins, thought.
      My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

WOW! TWINS! I'm step-mother to twins and even as adults they are amazing. It's a very special relationship that you will find challenging at times, but enjoy all the time.

Sending warm hugs,
        Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

i have mild IC and have gone long periods of time eating whatever I want. But in flares I am very careful. My flares now have no rhyme or reason any more. I used to know exactly what I did/ate.
          symptoms when in a flare:

I feel everything in my urethra but I know its really my bladder. Pressure, stinging, urgency,tingling feeling thats hard to describe.
          *I have a fibroid on my uterus near my bladder.

Medication
          100mg Amitripyline ( I have seriously gained almost 50lbs on this drug but I feel it works)
          Flexoril 10mg (doesn't work)
          Hydrocodone 5/325 PRN
          Cetalopram 40mg *severe anxiety over flare

Physical therapy hasnt really helped but I love her! I've learned so much! She states that my muscles around
          My urethra are very tight.

currently seeing a Gyn in my town and a Uro in Seattle (4 hrs away)

I have had lots of long term remissions. Currently been struggling with good & bad days since Jan 2012

find me on Facebook! Brandy Schildknecht Covington

Comment

I have two kids and my I.C. went into complete remission while pregnant. I came out of remission when I stopped taking birth control after my second child after my husband got snipped. I went back on birth control pills after my I.C. came back, but they did not send me back into remission as I had hoped. I hope you are in remission and stay there. I wish I had not stopped the birth control pills. I am sure the pregnancy hormones and birth control kept me in remission as long as it did. If I only knew then what I know now.

Comment

Hey I tried messaging you, but your box is full. I don't know anything about tubal ligations, but I am also having twins in April and I have IC.

Congratulations!!! So excited for you. I was so happy to have found your post on this site. I have been dying to talk to someone who has IC and who has been pregnant with IC. I am having twins in April and so far my IC hasn't been unbearable, but I am definitely having pains and the babies are sitting on my ureter making it really hard to squeeze out the urine. ( I know TMI) My biggest problem is how to tell if I'm having IC pain or if there is something wrong with my babies. I have rushed to the OB several times just to figure out that I am having bladder pain. How annoying! How do you differentiate between the two if you don't mind my asking? Since I have never been pregnant before I do not know what a normal pregnancy should feel like. My IC doctor doesn't see OB patients and my OB doesn't know a lot about IC. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of people on this board who post on this subject.

You also mentioned that you drink coffee. My OB keeps telling me I can drink coffee while pregnant and I sadly tell him that my bladder can only handle water and milk=(

Are you having identical or fraternal twins?

Mine are fraternal. We don't know genders yet, but are very excited about planning a fun gender reveal party for our families.

Let me know if you ever want to talk or e-mail. It's always nice to have someone who understands a bit about what you're going through.

Comment

Hi HumDucky,

I have to clean out my inbox and will do so you can email me. So for me my bladder has acted up if I have coffee and don't drink any water afterwards to dilute things. Also shame on me I have had some diet Cokes because I've had obligations for my older kids and been out of the house for meals a lot the past few weeks. That of course irritates my bladder. Basically, I'm aware of pain coming from what I've had to drink vs. regular pregnancy issues. I do have to pee a lot but as long as my urine is very well diluted it hasn't been a problem. I don't know what to expect after I have the babies, though, as my IC symptoms really started full blast after I quit breastfeeding my second child at 3 1/2 months. I'm nervous!!!

We're having fraternal twins and just found out it's a boy and a girl. This is perfect because that's exactly what I already have! I'm getting pretty big now and uncomfortable. This pregnancy has brought a host of new issues (I guess due to the double dose of hormones) and I have the most horrible eczema. I can't use steroid creams so I have to take Benadryl at night to sleep and still wake up itching like crazy. My heartburn is also getting bad again but this happened to me last time too. I have 16 weeks to go. Definitely tell me how you're doing and I'll work on cleaning my inbox!

Comment

Congratulations! I just wanted to chime in that my IC pain-wise was awesome during pregnancy and for the first couple months postpartum. I am nursing though so that helps. My IC came back full force about a month after I went back to work, at 3 months postpartum. I had a medically necessary section at 37 weeks. I do hope you do not have to have a cesarean, but you should prepare yourself mentally in the event you do. Right before my cesarean the Dr asked if I wanted my tubes tied while they were in there! I said absolutely not as this was my first! Just thought I would share that with you, that if you do have to have one, which I hope you do not, they just may even offer to do it right then and there and or you can request ahead of time!

The initial recovery for the cesarean was not as bad as I thought it would be...but the long term recovery is still happening for me at 7 months postpartum. Nevertheless, I wish you a smooth pregnancy, safe delivery and recovery. So glad to see you have someone on hear to chat with who is expecting twins too! Best regards to all of you!!
                  Last edited by ICKIRSTI; 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
                  Love is a fruit in season at all times, within reach of every hand. ~ The Blessed Mother Teresa

Status: Diagnosed October 2006 via cystoscopy with hydrodistention. Max anesthetized bladder capacity only 250 cc's. Mast cells and pinpoint bleeding found.

Remission for me means less pain for more days than not. Frequency is inevitable with a bladder this tiny! That is ok though. The difference between when I was diagnosed and now, is that I have embraced that fact. Me and the loo, we are one.

Comment

Working...
                  X