Pregnancy and Elavil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy and Elavil

Hi! I have been taking Elavil for several years now...and it has pretty much controlled my IC. However, I want to try and get pregnant...so, I have been weening myself off of the med. Unfortunately, my symptoms have returned. Has anyone taken Elavil during a pregnancy? Were there any negative affects? Does anyone know of any alternatives? Please help...I don't want suffer for 9 months...if I don't have to.
    Thanks!

Just like to say im in exactly the same situation, and trying to get an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Hello and

I do not know the answer to your question. I suggest you contact your doctor and ask him/her. That is the best place to go when you have a question about meds.

Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

As a future midwife and primary Ob Provider in 2.5 years, I have to let you know that Elavil is NOT safe to take when TTC or when pregnant. It is a category C drug in the FDA drug risk categories. That means that it has been proven to cause harm to the fetus and only should be taken if the benefits outweigh the risks. Please think of what you may do to your child if you take this drug while pregnant. I would advise either going off it completely and then TTC, or else staying on longer and putting off getting pregnant until you find a better option.
        30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
        ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
        (9/29/05-7/06)
        ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
        ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
        ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
        ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
        -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
        -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
        -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
        ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
        ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
        ~Vitamin D supplement
        ~Culturelle probiotic

Comment

Wow,
          I hate to differ so vastly from the previous post but I did a lot of research before taking 25mg of Elavil throughout my entire recent pregnancy (My MD also cleared it with the head of neonatology at the medical center here). I have a job as a researcher so am very familiar with how to read the research literature. There are quite a few studies regarding Elavil and pregnancy that did not find any problems for the child or mother. Elavil is such an old drug that there has been plenty of time to study it unlike some of the SSRIs. In addition, these studies primarily looked at depression doses, which are higher than many people with IC take. I did have to stop my Neurotin but did ok without it during my pregnancy. I would definitely talk with your physician and do your own research before deciding what is best for you. Good luck!

Susan

Comment

Thank you for that, its put my mind at rest a lot. I have heard of a few people who have also done this and thier babies have been fine, it seems to be a personal opinion of Doctors if you ask me!

Comment

thanks for the answers....i am now kinda confused...is it ok or not? Hubby and i want to get pregnant again in the next year and i am currently on this med and will be starting elmeron in may.

i already asked about elmeron but didnt ask about elavil. so i will be sure to ask when i go into my 6 month checkup at the end of this month
              Erika
              wife to Jeremy
              mom to Emma (3-8-05)
              and Natalie (7-23-07)

Meds i'm currently taking:
              Lortab as needed for pain

Meds that did not help:
              Detrol LA
              Lexapro (caused urgency)
              Amatryptaline 10mg once a day (helped IC but made me feel like CRAP)

Comment

I just think its a personal opinion, though i will try to do without it if possible. And if i cant i will try and stay on as low a dose as i can. I think you have to weigh up the positives and negatives.

Comment

Just to let you know, i was talking to my doctor and he said as im on such a low dose of Ami (Elavil) -25-35mg he wouldnt mind if i got pregnant on it as long as i stopped it when i found out.

Comment

That's great! I really encourage you to do as much reseach as possible regarding taking it while pregnant if it turns out you need it. You certainly may not - I got through my 1st pregnancy without it. I was in worse shape when I got pregnant the second time (plus worried about being able to take care of my 1st child) so I was concerned about going off it. I was so thrilled to find out that there was research showing that it was not connected to birth defects, low birth weight, premature birth, performance in later life etc. I was also surprised when my MDs were not opposed at all to me taking a small dose while breastfeeding. I went down to 10mg and that helped me get through. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi, just thought id let you know that i have just found out that im pregnant! am obviously a bit worried as i have already had a miscarriage. I have decided that unless my I.c goes into remission i will stay on 25mg of Elavil, and my Doctor has ok'd this too!

Comment

I'm so excited to hear that you are pregnant! Congrats!!!! Please PM me if you want to chat at any time or have questions. Good luck!

Susan

Comment

well actually, just wondered if you experinced any kidney pain while pregnant -i have had a couple of 'episodes' where i get a quite severe 'pinching' pain in my kidney area that lasts about ten minutes. Also do you know if it is safe to use a heat pad or hotwater bottle when pregnant?
                          Last edited by jujuz100; 05-15-2006, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X