Breastfeeding and remission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and remission

Hi, My new baby, Olivia, is just turning 1 month and is doing wonderful.
    My whole pregnancy I was waiting to go into remission and never did - now that I'm breastfeeding I think I have. I don't even want to say it because I think I'm going to jinx myself. For the first time in a year and 1/2 I had a salad with oil and vinager!! I got to go out the other night and was brought the salad and thought "well let's give it a try" and had no reaction. I also tryed a little orange juice the other day and had no problem. I've been adding things back to my diet little by little but I'm so afraid that if I have a flare then I can never get it back down again. But I actually stopping taking my prelief - something I've lived on for so long.
    I can't understand why breastfeeding has this affect on IC. I read someone else that is in remission and said they were breastfeeding. It has to have something to do with it. Why can't somebody find out what happens when you nurse that would stop the pain of IC???
    Well, I just hope this lasts. So far I haven't gotten my period and that might have another affect on the IC. I'm hoping I don't get it for a long time. I have so many problems with heavy bleeding, hormones, etc..
    I had some problems with a clogged duct (twice) and one bout of a breast infection which was miserable but it's going much better now and is well worth it. I plan on breastfeeding as long as possible.
    Sharon

Hi Sharon,

So glad you are finally in remission, and I hope that it lasts a long time. Since I have been breastfeeding, I have noticed that my flares are much less intense and don't occur as often. I think the flares are triggered by something hormonal, shift and upswings in hormonal levels that aren't occuring during breastfeeding. I plan on continuuing to breastfeed Ellen for 11 more weeks (until the one year mark). After that point, I will start the meds and plan a vacation for me and my husband. I just hope the IC won't return full force while I am taking the pill the next three months (due my recent bout with an ovarian cyst). Being a woman just isn't that easy sometimes. Good luck with the breastfeeding. Enjoy the remission, which I pray will be longterm. And give yourself and Olivia a big hug from us.

Hang in there and take care,

Melly

Comment

Thank you for your posts concerning pregnancy and breastfeeding with IC. I am a newlywed and my husband and I talk often about our plans for a family, but I have been very concerned about pregnancy and my condition. I tried going off Elmiron a couple of years ago and I was in so much pain I couldn't do a thing, I was right back to the days of diagnoses. In any case, I am very encouraged by the experiences those of you have shared and I look forward to my own adventure. May I ask how old you all are? How long have you had IC? Is this a first child or not?

Looking forward to more chatting,

Cam
      "Yours is the face the world turns to me."

Comment

Hi Cam, I'm going to be 40 this April. This is my fourth child( I have a 4,5 and 6 year old and the new baby) and I was diagnosed with IC about two years ago but I was having bladder problems since I was 18. After I stopped nursing my third child my condition and pain got much worse. I finally switched doctors and found out I had IC.
        Thanks Melly for your good wishes.
        Sharon

Comment

Thanks Sharon for sharing your story with me! My husband and I have a ways to go before we "plan" to have our first, but it's on the forefront of my thoughts these days and frankly- when you have to stop taking your meds and force yourself onto a strict diet again I can't see how a little preparation could hurt! I think I am one of the youngest persons to have been diagnosed since I was just 16, but I too had been wrongly diagnosed with bladder infections and such for many YEARS before that. I am now only twenty and take alot of grief for my future endevors, but I have grown old at heart as a result of the hand God has dealt me.
          Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to learning more about you and your wonderful family! YOU HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL GIRL!!!
          Blessings,
          Cam
          "Yours is the face the world turns to me."

Comment

Working...
          X