dry mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry mouth

Hi all. I'm new to the board, and I already love you guys. Safety in numbers!! I have developed a very uncomfortable dry mouth, especially at night when I sleep. Probably related to meds (Ditropan XL), and my doctor agrees BUT I'm unwilling to stop taking it because it's one of the first meds I've taken that gives me relief. Sooooooooo, my question is what do others do about dry mouth? And incidentally, I do live in a cattle ranch area, and we girls use Bagbalm all the time. It works for dry hands and feet, diaper rash, inner-thigh rashes, lips, scrapes and scratches on kids and pets, etc., etc. We buy it at our local pharmacy and even K-Mart here. I think even Costco and Sam's Club stock it.
    Every day I pray for the courage of my convictions.

"Kind words can be short and easy -- their echo infinite." -- Mother Teresa

Hello and welcome!
    I also have a very dry mouth due to the meds I take. For me it is the Belladonna I take. I also work in an alternative dental office. It is really important that you do not put anything with sugar in your mouth to help promote more saliva flow. This will give you decay very quickly. The one thing that saliva does is constantly keep your teeth in saliva which helps to keep them clean. Peoplple with xerostomia which is a severe dry mouth often have a mouth full ov cavities due to the little saliva. There are a few kinds of artificial saliza out there but they only work as long as you constantly put them in your mouth. The best thing to get is Xylitol. They come in different flavours - you will need to go to a rather large health food store. You can keep thiese in your mouth all of the time and not have to worry about any decay problems.
    Hope this helps
    Dianna
    "You are not alone.If you are having an IC moment and you need someone, please email me"
    Dianna

Comment

Tell me more about this. I looked up, Xylitol on the internet, and it was a sweetner. I didn't see anything about artificial saliva. Can you describe what form it is in?

Comment

Blue,
        Xylitol is a natural type sweetner and supposedly is dental friendly (in fact it is supposed to inhibit bacteria). You can read about it and the different products that contain it on the link I am including below--I hope this helps--

www.xylitolstore.com

Hugs & blessings--
        Last edited by felineperson3; 05-26-2004, 11:04 AM.
        Carley

They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.---Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Blue,

I'm sending the link again as the back slash mark did not appear at the end on the last one I sent which might keep the hyperlink from working. Of course you can always copy and paste it in your browser and find it that way--

www.xylitolstore.com/
          Carley

They that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.---Isaiah 40:31

Comment

I've heard Biotene mouthwash & gum can help with dry mouth. I'm allergic to it (busted out in a rash on my forehead), but liked it the one time I tried it. (Don't be afraid-I'm allergic to darn near everything.)

I also keep a glass of ice water on the nightstand and plain eye drops (Refresh brand, I think) handy, because I usually get those symptoms in the middle of the night too.

I bought a mini-swamp-cooler on wheels (at Costco) to cool off my apartment this summer and noticed that my eyes feel better than they do with the regular fan blowing hot air around my room. (I live in an apartment which objects to us putting in air conditioners). And with Ditropan, it's important not to overheat...

Embarrassing IC moment---I accidentally told a class of students that it's not good for me to be "in heat", when I moved us to an air conditioned classroom. Fortunately only a few got it and they didn't laugh too hard...

Hope you find something that helps soon.
            Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
            I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
            Source - Pinterest
            "

Current treatments:
            -IC diet
            -Elavil 50mg at night
            -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
            -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
            -Pyridium if needed,
            -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
            -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
            -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
            -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
            -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
            -Managing stress= VERY important!
            -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Blue,

Another link that might help you with the dry mouth (xerostomia) problem also lists different companies that make the artificial saliva--http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/dry_mouth_products.htm
              I hope one of these links help you--

Hugs & blessings--
              Carley

Comment

Thank you for the information, I'm going to go check out the links now!

Kadi, the in heat thing was funny!

Comment

I also take DitropanXl which gives me alot of releif from frequency. Instead of going 30-40 times a day maybe I go 25. I have found that in time it has subsided. Although sometimes it comes back. I just drink alot of water. Hope you can find some releif....
                  Some day I'll get all of htis into check and learn how to live life with IC. Until then, learn, ask, search and pray. Take care, Coleen

Comment

Working...
                  X