X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzzdiva
    replied
    Re: dry eyes

I have a bad dry eye problem too. It may not be IC meds, but part of the complex of diseases that often occur with IC - they are all inflammatory diseases, I assume, related to mast cells: IC, IBS, dry eyes, fibromyalgia, anxiety, allergies.

Leave a comment:

• Vicki
    replied
    Hormone Levels

I was just doing some reading and the book said that low testosterone can be a cause of dry eyes. I started having dry eyes about ten or twelve years ago. I had to stop wearing contacts. The things that helped me were Gen-Teal eyedrops and Hydroeye nutritional supplement. If I knew then what I know now, I would have insisted that my estradiol and testosterone levels be checked no matter how old I was. I think you have to rule that out first.
    -Vicki

Leave a comment:

• kellymh
    replied
    I just went to a opthamologist, he told me to use all natural artifiicial tears only, 6-7 times a day, and than use a gel tear at night. The gel tear really helps. He also put me on Lotremax for 3 weeks, it helped. But as soon as I quit using it, it was back. So for the next 2 weeks he told me to try the tears, and it that doesn't work, I am trying restasis. It is really expensive though. The gel tears really help.

Leave a comment:

• sue041
    replied
    Dry Eyes and mouth

I was wondering if I was the only one, but now I see there are a lot of us who have dry eyes, when I get up in the morning It is like I have a cold in my eye, it matters and all through the day I have like sandy parts on my eye lashes and bot corners of my eyes burn. My inside of my eyes looks like I have pink eye. I do not use the eye drops that say (keeps the red out) I only use the ones that say natural tears. I think it really helps but I probably should put them in more often. As for my dry mouth I take water to bed with me and even if I go in town I take water in the car. My throat gets very dry and I choke easily so the water really helps. I have a problem when I use drinks with artificial sweeteners in. My voice[ gets so low like I am whispering.
    It is kind of nice to know someone else is having the same problem, and that you can fix it yourself without going to a Dr. and paying their office fees.
    Take care and God Bless
    Sue

Leave a comment:

• jen48446
    replied
    Yep my eyes used to get irritated no matter what I did, once I found the right birth control pill my body gradually "ironed itself" out, it took months however it was well worth it!

If you live in a cold climate, or work in a dry environment that will aggravate things too. My eyes have been drier for about 2 months now however we've also had one of the worst winter's that we've had in years too.

Leave a comment:

• KimP
    replied
    Me too but...

I don't take any meds and the skin below my eyes are dry, whenever I use make up they seem to get irritated more.

Has this happened to those who have IC over time but take very little meds?

Leave a comment:

• jen48446
    replied
    I use the Thera Tears eye drops, haven't tried the capsules. The name of the ointment is escaping me @ the moment however I got it @ Wal Mart & they still carry it. I tried the Duralube & Bausch & Lomb brands & neither worked like the one I used, I think it's in a blue tube?

I agree with the others I'd be working with an eye doc, can't think of how to spell that medically, LOL! if you're not sure who to go to, call your family doc & ask for a referral.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    thera tears and optive I have to be careful as my eyes dont like the preservatives. I itched all over my body with restais. My eye surgeon I can never spell it opthamologist wrote me a prescription for lotemax and that wha I use but not often. I try to run the humidifier more or turn up the setting . Vn

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I have a son-in-law who is an ophthalmologist and he told us to just be sure the drops we use are artificial tears only --- and to avoid any that say they work for inflammation.

I absolutely agree that you need to see your doctor.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• muxerr012
    replied
    Hey Jen,

Yes Thera Tears are great and I take them too (3 a day)!! My eye doc told me about them several months ago. It's weird though because my eyes will do better and then every few months they get really bad again. They get so dry they hurt all the time and I get these red/yellow bumps between the tear duct and cornea (I forget what they call them). Do you know the name of the ointment you used to use and is it prescription? I go back to the eye doc next month and I want to ask him for something else to take because the Restasis and Thera Tears aren't working for me all the time. Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• jen48446
    replied
    I use Thera Tears, it was recommended to me years ago by an eye doctor. It helps myself & my husband. I also used to use a eye ointment @ night when it gets arctic here but haven't had to use that in years.

Leave a comment:

• muxerr012
    replied
    vickyvale-The best new over the counter eye drop I have found is called Optive!!

sandberg4-I am on estrogen patches for 7 months now and this has not helped me combat the dry eye. If your situation does not improve, please see an eye doctor. I never knew how big of a deal dry eye could be. Moisture in the eye prevents dust particles from causing damage to our eyes. I have now had 2 eye ulcers to the cornea which nearly caused me blindess! I got them because there was not enough moisture in my eye. Had to place medicated drops in my eyes every 15 minutes for 24 hours!! That was very painful!

bigred-Burning eyes is definitely a sign of dry eye. I'm glad you're going to an eye doc next month. BE SURE to tell him you think this is a problem for you. That way they will put drops in your eye, will turn the lights off, and the areas behind your eye that have moisture will glow. Thisi s important to have done because it helped stopped my vision loss. If you're real casual about it, the doc will just hand you a small sample of eye drops and you won't fix the problem. Make him/her do the dry eye test. I know this because I've complained of dry eye for over 5 yrs now and no one ever bothered to check me to see how bad it really was. They just gave me these tiny samples and sent me on my way.

Be well all!! (PS...I too go back to the eye doc next month and will share any new treatments or drops with you. It's a problem that progresses, trust me)!

Leave a comment:

• bigred
    replied
    I don't know if I actually have dry eyes but my eyes burn almost constantly. especially if I go outside without my sunglasses. I will be having my eyes looked at again in March.

Leave a comment:

• sandberg4
    replied
    I started having dry eyes and a dry mouth around the time I went off my estrogen. I've read since then that both of these are symptoms of low estrogen. I'm going back on it so I'm hoping it will solve my problems.

Leave a comment:

• snowgirl
    replied
    I have dry eye terrible as well. Restasis made me itch all over I was allergic to it. But lotemax that you mentioned that one works good it has a steroid in it. I also like genteal eye drops for moderate relief. Vicky

Leave a comment:

Working...
X