Frequent mouth ulcers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequent mouth ulcers

I get very frequently nasty ulcers in my mouth, they are quite painful... sometimes on the tongue too.

Is this a common symptom in IC patients?

I used to get them frequently, but I found it was caused at least partly by the mouthwash I was using. I honestly don't think it's related to my IC since I haven't had any for quite some time.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I get these often as well. I know I especially get them when I take certain medications. I am guessing they are canker sores. They are very painful. There is that stuff you can get over the counter called Kanka. It is a liquid you put on the sore to help the pain.
      Jen

Comment

I got some similar products in Uk... sometimes they last like 10 days or more though!

How nasty!

At least I can come in this forum and complain, complain, complain.

Comment

I have gotten them all my life. It's related to acid as well. My son used to eat strawberries by the handful and always ended up with sores in his mouth. I have also found that using warm salt water will help. It sometimes burns at first, but I have found it allows the healing process to speed up.

Comment

Thanks Tracey, I didn't know that!

So I hope that with Ic diet that will improve as well!

Comment

Canker sores can indicate low iron levels due to heavy bleeding.

Also, they could be cold sores inside the mouth from herpes.

In addition, some toothpastes and mouthwashes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate can irritate gums and tongue intensely enough to cause sores.

If they are coming a lot, I'd see a physician and have them cultured to make sure they aren't viral or your not anemic. Then again, if they are, there are meds to help control that.

Oh, I forgot to add that Lipitor is sometimes a culprit behind these.
              Last edited by Want2BPainFree; 08-13-2008, 05:13 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something
              Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Comment

oh thanks.

I have beta-thalassemia (mild) as well so I do have anemia. It makes sense.
                xx
                April

Comment

I get these often not really canker sore though, I have a script call orabase, you buy it over the counter in some places, it is a sticky paste that I put on at night, it stays on all night and ussally clears up sore over night. My doc said these were for stomach acids backing up into my month, I have GERD.
                  I may have spelt this wrong PM if anyone needs the name of this I can go find the tube and give you the correct name and spelling.
                  My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

Originally posted by april ryan View Post
                    I get very frequently nasty ulcers in my mouth, they are quite painful... sometimes on the tongue too.

Is this a common symptom in IC patients?
                    I have read that this is common w/ IC patients but, i have had canker sores my whole life. also i was taking lyrica which causes canker sores. so it could also be a side effect from a med you are on.
                    Jenn

IC, endometriosis, vulvodynia, PFD, kidney stones, migraines, chronic uti's, ovarian cysts, seizures.

Meds:
                    Elmiron 300mg a day
                    a day)
                    Singulair 10mg a day
                    Seasonale

Prevacid OTC
                    Xanax-helps pain at times.

too many pills for my age!!!

"If it wasn't this it would be something else"

"There's a happiness to be gained from being able to accept that there are some things that cannot be changed."

Comment

I just saw this old thread and was curious...does anyone else on here get frequent cold sores with IC? I have had them my whole life off and on but lately it is really frequent...and I'm not tough enough to not be embarassed about it can I get a break from something please!? I've been trying home remedies instead of more pills on top of my ic meds!!

Anyone have this problem..help?! so annoyed...

thank you!!
                      best, Kate

I am a generally happy 23 year old, newly diagnosed(Nov 2009), newly-wed living in Tampa.

I graduated from college in Boston in May. And since then have been trying to get my pain regime for this disease under control!

Medications currently taking:

Elmiron (2 in the morning 1 at night)
                      Benadryl (1 in the morning and 1 at night)
                      Vesicare (1 a day)
                      Prosed as needed

I am constantly looking for alternatives to these medications to heal my body! I am open to suggestions (thinking about aloe, cystoprotek, accupuncture, etc) until then I am keeping my fingers crossed that elmiron works for me!!!

I started PT last week....this consists of electro stimulation through my ankle of my prudential nerve.

oh yeah I also practice yoga every day I can and am wishing I could work out like I used to!

I am lucky to have an extremely supportive husband and family

Thank you all for your help and support! It means more than I could ever say in words

"Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, telling myself it's not as hard as it seems." -Led Zeppelin

Comment

I use to get them really bad. So bad I would have to go to the DR. I still get them but on the side of my tongue. I'm wondering if its do to dry mouth???
                        My DR gave me a mouth wash called MAry's magic mouth wash. It helped a lot.

DIAMIC65 (Diane Davis)

Comment

I get frequent canker sores in my mouth and have always gotten them,long before IC. I have full dentures so that contributes to it. Bite down on something wrong and makes a sore spot in my mouth. A canker sore will show up after that. I use OTC Orabase in a tube and it really numbs it.

Comment

Cold sores vs Canker sores

For sores insde the mouth, canker sores, I do gargles with warm water and salt.

For cold sores or herpes - normally outside the mouth on the lips -you can get them if you are very stressed out (crying a lot etc...and yeah one can do thta with IC), cold weather also... for that you can take Famvir or Valtrex. If you are getting them frequently you can have a precription ready at home when the symptoms start you can suppress it. Be careful not to spread it to other parts of your body!
                            Do not use salt gargles with Cold Sores!
                            Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
                            UTIs since mid 2004
                            Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
                            IC dx 3/2006
                            V V dx 12/2006
                            Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
                            Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
                            Cysta Q (since 5/07)
                            Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
                            D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
                            Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
                            Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
                            Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
                            Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
                            Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
                            Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
                            BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

Remove SLS and you stop many mouth ulcers

I did some research and learned that my frequent mouth ulcers were a bad reaction to the SLS in the toothpaste.

SLS is a foaming agent, sodium laurel sulfate, that has no place in toothpaste. It's what make your laundry detergent foamy!

I bought Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash and used it regularly. Now, about a year later, I get one or two mouth ulcers a year instead of almost weekly.

Please consider this solution. Many doctors think that SLS abrades the lining of the mouth and makes it more susceptible to ulceration. Which HURTS!

Hope this helps.
                              -Laura
                              • 61 yrs old
                              • Diagnosed Feb 2009, but had IC for years before that;
                              • Also horribly progressive, debilitatingly painful, severe vascular rosacea and erythromelalgia.

• Stuff that helps me--
                              - the IC diet
                              - CystoProtek (wonderful stuff, highly recommended)
                              - Vagifem (vaginal estrogen)
                              - Remeron (Mirtazapine)- 30 mg nightly for depression and IC nerve pain
                              - Hydroxyzine- antihistamine for IC

Comment

Working...
                              X