No announcement yet.

Dry mouth is my worst side affect!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to everyone for the posts, really!!

Donna, I really hope the muscle relaxants have at least helped your back. I took SOMA and Flexeril for my back when I hurt it 3 years ago, and I remember they were really drying. I hope the surgery is successful!

Dakota, please let us know the outcome of taking the suppositories. Did you have to get an Rx specifically for the suppositories?

My PT (who is wonderful and I totally trust) suggested I try the same thing (elavil compounded into a vaginal suppository) but my doctors at Stanford ( both in urology and pain management) refuse to prescribe. I also asked to try variations to amitryptiline but they won't prescribe me them. I even requested surmontyl or another alternative to amitryptiline but they said I'd already had my shot at a tri-cyclic alternative when I tried imipramine, which caused retention. I don't understand why they refuse to let me try anything else. Urology said the only things they'll let me try now is DMSO, botox, or interstim. Pain management said they wanted to get me off everything I'm taking and try me on some new different anti-depressant I've never heard of (and I've done extensive research on everything IC related), but they couldn't prescribe until our second appointment. Le sigh...
    IC symptoms since Dec. 12 2010 after confirmed bladder infection "never went away." Recently also diagnosed with PCOS, piriformis syndrome, and pelvic floor dysfunction, sinus issues. I was in great health before fall 2010.
    Current medications: citalopram 40 mg, valium 2.5 mgs a night, lidocaine patch (for back pain), Prelief
    Therapies tried or continuing: stretches, walks, baths, internal massage, physical therapy, IC diet, IF unit, heating pad, mindfulness based stress reduction classes, cognitive therapy, books on IC and pelvic pain...

Drugs Tried: the urinary analgesics, 4 kinds of muscle relaxants (including in suppository form), hydroxyzine, 3 kinds of TCA's, lyrica, cymbalta, 6 months elmiron, vesicare, antibiotics, prednisone (after sinus surgery), NSAIDS...
    Supplements: over 20 herbs and supplements, including regimens from TCM practitioner and a naturopathic MD
    Intravesical/Surgical: 3 instills of Uracyst, 2 “rescue instills” lidocaine, bicarb, elmiron; 1 self-instill of marcaine, a steroid, bicarb and heparin; 1 hydrodistention and capsaicin instill (made me worse, still recovering two months later...)
    Other: Acupuncture treatments, magnets (LOL), Anti-Candida Diet (2 months), Wheat free diet, water pH

Comment

Yes the elavil suppositories require a prescription. I don't understand why your doctors won't let you try anything else. IC is so complicated and you need a doctor who is willing to work with you. I'm lucky because I've found one and he always gives me the respect of voicing my own opinion on what I want to try. I always have interesting conversations with him and he's very open minded about things. I will certainly let you know how the compounded suppositories work.

Comment

I have to drink a mouthful of water every 5 minutes and can't eat without water. Chapstick helps.
        • 27 year old student
        • Had symptoms since I was 5
        • Been on forums since '07, knew I had this since then, received mild treatment without true diagnosis due to anxiety. Diagnosed by symptoms on 4/08/11.
        • Had first horrible flare in 07, bad doctors, had to research IC myself to clue in onto what it was. After following the diet I went into remission.
        • Big flare in 09 due to an untreated bladder infection. Went back into remission in 2012.
        • Symptoms returned 4/1/15. All of my remissions have ended in April-May or September-October. It sounds like a connection to seasonal allergies to me..

Currently: Continuous Birth Control, vaginal valium (10/6/11), Elmiron (4/08/11), UTA (4/08/11), continuous Trimethoprim for infections (10/6/11), Heating pad, Benedryl, harsh diet

What I know works: Benedryl, diet, birth control, UTA, valium, ditropan, soma

What didn't work: Elavil, vistaril (12/22)

Comment

yeah, detrol gives me dry mouth. it's irritating. i 1) always carry a water bottle 2) have chapstick and 3) buy "slippery elm" throat lozenges (from health food store).
          lucky to live in hawaii but having a hard time and have a lot of questions.

vesicare

detrol la
          pyridium

ditropan
          buspirone

?(new medications)
          chinese herbs: golden form with rehmannia

triggers: alcohol, coffee, soda, chocolate, citrus, sex, spicy food, soy, running/jumping, pms, birth control pills, stress, and lack of zzz.

Comment

i have not read all the replies so my apologies if someone has responded with the same information. hopefully you have found relief of your dry mouth symptoms. if not, the company Biotene (http://www.biotenecanada.ca/Default.aspx) make a range of products that have helped me get my dry-mouth under control. I use the liquid (i try not to get it on my teeth but swish it between my upper palette and tongue - safe to swallow, even throughout the night). i have also tried the lubricating toothpaste and the gum with great success. the problem with candy, posicles, etc. is that they are not a good solution throughout the night, or if you cant have to brush your teeth after. i developed a number of cavities because i did not know what dry mouth was for several years. i had to get about 9 fillings as a result of the natural habits i developed (gum, popsicles, etc. including at night which is one of the worst times for me) and due to the fact that you need natural saliva in your mouth to prevent cavities. sipping water during the day helps but i was drinking more than 2L a day which is too much for someone with very high day and time time frequency like myself.
            Pumpkinbeck
            Currently switching from pharmaceutical to nutritional supplement therapy (ever so slowly and with my doctor's continual guidance!)
            Currently taking:
            Elavil, Hydroxyzine, Clonazepam, Pyridium, Prelief, Hydromorphone, Opium and Belladonna (BNO), B Complex, Magnesium (1000mg), Methionine, Zinc, St. John's Wort, Probiotics, MSM, Green's Plus

Comment

p.s. i purchase biotene products though the IC shop here on the IC network. i found it is the most affordable way of obtaining them. it does not take long to ship here to Ontario....a week or two.
              Pumpkinbeck
              Currently switching from pharmaceutical to nutritional supplement therapy (ever so slowly and with my doctor's continual guidance!)
              Currently taking:
              Elavil, Hydroxyzine, Clonazepam, Pyridium, Prelief, Hydromorphone, Opium and Belladonna (BNO), B Complex, Magnesium (1000mg), Methionine, Zinc, St. John's Wort, Probiotics, MSM, Green's Plus

Comment

Working...
              X