Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumpkinbeck
    replied
    p.s. i purchase biotene products though the IC shop here on the IC network. i found it is the most affordable way of obtaining them. it does not take long to ship here to Ontario....a week or two.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinbeck
    replied
    i have not read all the replies so my apologies if someone has responded with the same information. hopefully you have found relief of your dry mouth symptoms. if not, the company Biotene (http://www.biotenecanada.ca/Default.aspx) make a range of products that have helped me get my dry-mouth under control. I use the liquid (i try not to get it on my teeth but swish it between my upper palette and tongue - safe to swallow, even throughout the night). i have also tried the lubricating toothpaste and the gum with great success. the problem with candy, posicles, etc. is that they are not a good solution throughout the night, or if you cant have to brush your teeth after. i developed a number of cavities because i did not know what dry mouth was for several years. i had to get about 9 fillings as a result of the natural habits i developed (gum, popsicles, etc. including at night which is one of the worst times for me) and due to the fact that you need natural saliva in your mouth to prevent cavities. sipping water during the day helps but i was drinking more than 2L a day which is too much for someone with very high day and time time frequency like myself.

Leave a comment:

• h808
    replied
    yeah, detrol gives me dry mouth. it's irritating. i 1) always carry a water bottle 2) have chapstick and 3) buy "slippery elm" throat lozenges (from health food store).

Leave a comment:

• nekura
    replied
    I have to drink a mouthful of water every 5 minutes and can't eat without water. Chapstick helps.

Leave a comment:

• Dakota
    replied
    Yes the elavil suppositories require a prescription. I don't understand why your doctors won't let you try anything else. IC is so complicated and you need a doctor who is willing to work with you. I'm lucky because I've found one and he always gives me the respect of voicing my own opinion on what I want to try. I always have interesting conversations with him and he's very open minded about things. I will certainly let you know how the compounded suppositories work.

Leave a comment:

• DaniMSC
    replied
    Thanks to everyone for the posts, really!!

Donna, I really hope the muscle relaxants have at least helped your back. I took SOMA and Flexeril for my back when I hurt it 3 years ago, and I remember they were really drying. I hope the surgery is successful!

Dakota, please let us know the outcome of taking the suppositories. Did you have to get an Rx specifically for the suppositories?

My PT (who is wonderful and I totally trust) suggested I try the same thing (elavil compounded into a vaginal suppository) but my doctors at Stanford ( both in urology and pain management) refuse to prescribe. I also asked to try variations to amitryptiline but they won't prescribe me them. I even requested surmontyl or another alternative to amitryptiline but they said I'd already had my shot at a tri-cyclic alternative when I tried imipramine, which caused retention. I don't understand why they refuse to let me try anything else. Urology said the only things they'll let me try now is DMSO, botox, or interstim. Pain management said they wanted to get me off everything I'm taking and try me on some new different anti-depressant I've never heard of (and I've done extensive research on everything IC related), but they couldn't prescribe until our second appointment. Le sigh...

Leave a comment:

• Dakota
    replied
    I have Sjogren's Syndrome too and don't have any saliva to begin with. About a week ago I stopped taking Atarax and Oxybutin because I needed a break. Not a good thing to do. I am now in a very severe flare up and back on the meds. I too fear for my teeth. I'm going to try having Elavil compounded into a vaginal suppository to see if I can get some relief from the dryness.

Leave a comment:

• sedavisoes
    replied
    I have been on Elavil for 9 years and didn't experience dry mouth. I started taking Zoloft last year and have horrible dry mouth. It really interferes with sleep. I have tried everything with no results. The Biotine gel does give some minor releif for a short time. Chewing sugar free gum during the day works pretty well. I stopped Zoloft, with docs approval, about 10 days ago with no change. My dentist was very concerned because dry mouth causes my decay, we tried a flouride tary but I had an allergic reaction. I sure dont want to destroy my teeth. I dont know what the answer is.

Leave a comment:

• Katrina
    replied
    my eye doc...since everything is dry recommended omega 3 fish oil....I tried the biotene that you hear about in commertials for dry mouth mouthwash....it made my mouth stink and tasted bad so was never used long enough to give a thorough try. Good luck!!

Leave a comment:

• olmphoto2
    replied
    I thought for many years that dry mouth was a side effect of my meds. But then I had a time period that I wasn't using the bigger offenders my eye and mouth problems were worse than ever. Diagnosis? Sjogren's Syndrome...and yes, it is another autoimmune disease. It can cause mild to severe problems in many areas of the body. Please hang in there for your solutions or opportunities for improvement.

Leave a comment:

• Ang0023
    replied
    Dry Mouth

try biotene mouth wash. Use it for awhile. I was suffering with dry mouth (not sure why) Probably my medications as well. However, I saw a commercial for it tried it and used until symtoms went away.
    My mouth was so dry it would actually burn. Try brushing under your tongue and on your tongue and don't forget the gums.
    Dry mouth can cause gingervities & other problems so I've been told (NOT a DR.of anykind) give it & try & good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Mothergoose
    replied
    I have heard that back surgery is a little easier than neck surgery so here hoping it will be for you too and that if you need surgey you won't have to wait too long to get it done.

Hugs MG

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    MG: Yes --- I had a cervical fusion in January of last year. My neuro told me then that there was an additional potential problem, but it "might" never give me a problem and that if it did, it could be fixed. I know that what was a fairly major surgery would have been much worse if he had done two separate areas in my spine at the same time. I'm just hoping this won't be any worse than the neck surgery.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• Mothergoose
    replied
    Donna

I will cross my fingers for you and add in a prayer, a sore back is no fun, you just can't get away from it, no position you can get into to relieve it.

I hope the neuro has something he can do for you.

Not long ago it was your neck?

Sounds like you get you IC pain undercontrol only to get other pains.

Hugs MG

Leave a comment:

• MaryS
    replied
    I to get dry mouth from all my ic meds. I tend to take sips of water and swish it around my mouth befor swallowing. I also suck on candy,chew gum and eat candy corn. I keep water by my bed if I wake up with a parched mouth and take a few sips. I hat mornings because my mouth feels like i walked in a desert for days with no water .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X