Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about dry eyes/mouth

Hi there,

I have what may seem like a silly question. I just started getting dry eyes (upon going to sleep and waking) and a dry mouth when my symptoms of IC started getting bad (about a month ago). I never noticed it before and never really had issues with it before? Is this common?
    Much love,

Robin

Started having IC symptoms suddenly after miscarriage in January 2013, no history of UTIs or bladder problems, Scheduled for Cysto/Hydro to confirm diagnosis on April 1st (great date, huh??)

I decided to not take medicine for my IC since I'm trying to get pregnant, so I'm working with herbs and supplements:
    Pascoe pH Balance (3 tabs, 2x per day), Golden Aloe supplements (2 tabs, 2x per day), Vitanica Bladder Ease (1 tab, 3x per day - this will be increasing - I just try to start new supplements slowly!), MSM (1 tab, 2x per day), Probiotic (1 tab, 3x per day), Ashwadangha (1 tab, 1x per day), Mag Phos Tissue Salts (2x per day to help constitution), Renew Life Flax/acacia fibre (1 scoop per day because constipation sucks!), I also follow the IC diet very closely! It's very important to stay on it closely! Remission is my goal!!!

Hi to you,
    I have always had dry mouth, dry eyes and it's important to use products for your teeth and special drops for your eyes to help this symptoms. My Dr. calls it Sjogren's syndrome which is a side effect from my autoimmune hypothyroid disease. You need to research this so you can protect your eyes and teeth. I have known some who were so dry there teeth were lost to decay and breakage. Also have your antibodies tested along with a complete thyroid profile. You are smart to investigate and search out information and take questions to your Dr. Taking the right thyroid medication is so helpful for my dry eyes and mouth.

Comment

Yes, some IC patients get Sjogren's, but not all. Many of us though have had dry eyes & mouth without Sjogren's. It can be just us, or it can be from the medications we use for IC, especially amitryptiline and atarax. I use Restasis for eye drops and have also discussed getting collagen plugs place in my lower tear ducts to better hold the tears my eyes do make. Biotene is a dry mouth product some IC patients use. I don't use it because it gives me a rash (on my forehead! weird), so I use ACT Total Care Anticavity Fluoride Rinse for Dry Mouth. It does seem to help and with that, some sensitivity toothpaste, plus a nightguard I wear for grinding (tooth grinding goes way up when my IC pain & frequency do), my teeth have not had problems in years.
      Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
      Source - Pinterest
      "

Current treatments:
      -IC diet
      -Elavil 50mg at night
      -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
      -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
      -Pyridium if needed,
      -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
      -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
      -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
      -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
      -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
      -Managing stress= VERY important!
      -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I also have dry eyes........used Restasis for a year and even had the collagen plugs. Neither worked for me... .....darn. I also had little tubes placed in the tear duct...didn't work.

For overnight, I use a eye product that looks like Vaseline. It is located in the eye drop section of the pharmacy.

Comment

Working...
        X