X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bladderpain451
    ICN Member
    • Dec 2009

muscle strain won't heal

I've had this muscle strain in my back at least a yr & half. I have both Fibromyalgia & MCTD so my muscles strain easy I guess. I went to a chriopracter, then had to go two rounds with physical therapy, it eased the pain the 2nd time around but didn't get rid of it. All meds I tried, useless, except the toradol they gave me this summer in the hospital and the lortab I got after surgery. About 2 wks ago, I layed on a mattress with springs in it and woke up with one sticking up, it flared the muscle pain in my back up again. This pain radiates into my neck, my jaw, and causes nasty headaches. Yesterday, I decided to give up the fight & go to a health clinic. He gave me some Lortab for over the weekend & I have to see my PCP next week. First pill, see ya pain, then hours later I thought I'd roll over and die (ulcerative stomach, esophagitis, gastritis, & gerd) and Lortab can make you sick at your stomach anyways. I've previously been using aspirin killing my poor tummy. So I end up screeming and crying in pain. Took some sleeping pills where it was so bad. Then my back pain starts flaring again, and I'm so sick at my stomach, I can't take anymore lortab. I put an ice pack on my back, and all it did was make the pain worse and my upper back went numb and got really tight. I think it made it spasm. I have not in the 2 weeks had pain so bad that made me cry like that. I am not looking forward to the weekend. Why doesn't a muscle strain just heal? Any idea if I could get surgery on it since it won't heal? How do they even do a test to find this. I had a plain x-ray done and it didn't show it. I don't know what my doctor is going to do with me. I'm kind of just hoping he'll throw me in the hospital since I vomitted blood a couple of weeks ago. Is there a narcotic that doesn't make you sick at your stomach like Lortab, I really don't need that added pain. I woke up and midnight in extreme pain again and took one, and it's starting to get naggy again, but my belly hurts so bad. I don't get why the back pain gets better on Lortab but after it wears off, it's worse than before I ever even used Lortab.
  • ICNDonna
    ICN Staff
    • Mar 2000

I'm just glad you'll be seeing your doctor soon. I just hope they will be able to find out what's going on with your back.

Warm hugs,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

• bladderpain451
      ICN Member
      • Dec 2009

I would probably pea my pants if he did an MRI to find out what is wrong with my back. He is the type of doctor that has no problem doing blood work but when it comes to a scan, I'd have to get on my knees and beg, or maybe just ask really nicely, lol, I had to call and ask for that stupid pointless x-ray. The pain used to be so bad, well I'm not going to say, but it was dealt with in a way that could have killed me, and he still didn't test it. I guess it's the fibromyalgia issue in his old head. He did other things for me though, meds that didn't work, sent me to PT, which was great. I think I'd marry that therapist, he was so good at what he did. Pressure point therapy is amazing for pain relief. I'd go back but my car is broken down. He'll take care of me though, he's a good doctor, even if he won't scan me very much. It's still kind of gay though, my lungs have hurt for 5 mths now. It's a shame it takes forever to get things done right. He's going to wait until I can't breathe anymore before he xrays my lungs. LMFAO>>>> I am getting tickled, I just love my doctor too, so I easily overlook his ways of doctoring. It's the fibromyalgia thing though, alot of things are looked at and he can't find anything, and he's just not giving it his all, to figure things out. Like the IVP he did, didn't show a thing, but the urodynamics showed the abnormal shape in my bladder during filling, the problem is there though. Because my RNP didn't show up in my blood work 10 yrs back, and I didn't have severe organ damage, my MCTD was overlooked for that long. Now I am so sick, I cannot function, yay yay. Life is so great.. Haha.. AI disease isn't easy to dx either, I had to order blood work from online and go get blood work showing how I was responding to the medications for it before he even believed it. Normal ESR and RF, they originally thought nothing was wrong though my ANA was 1:640. Goofy doctors I sware. I have more brains then they ever thought about when it comes to this kind of stuff. LOL. Thank you.

Comment

• ICNDonna
        ICN Staff
        • Mar 2000

If I had a physician who didn't order testing to locate problem issues, I would at the very least be getting a second opinion. When I went to my primary care physician for neck and shoulder pain, he had his office staff do X-rays the same day! And when the problem persisted he ordered the MRI that diagnosed my problem, which was corrected by surgery. There ARE good, thorough, physicians out there.

Warm hugs,
        Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Comment

• bladderpain451
          ICN Member
          • Dec 2009

I know, my gastroenterologist is like that. She's the best doc I have. But I depend on my PCP more than any other doc I have, and he is so sweet, you can't help but to love him the first time you meet him.. It doesn't excuse him letting me torcher in pain a few times but for the most part, he's helped me. And I am a horrible little patient. I get 3 mth follow ups, and I always have to go in beforehand, sometimes twice in between, and then there's the 10 calls I have to make besides that. I am lucky a doctor even puts up with me. LOL. He's a good doctor, if he really thought there was anything bad going on, he'd do something right now. He's just one of those docs that gets something stuck in his head that if you have one particular problem, it causes all that ales. I know, my urologist told me to tell my doctor to do a lung x-ray, that smoking all those years may have hurt my lungs. Honestly, if I have something wrong with them, I'm not sure I want to know. I've been short of breath all year too, he recommended I lose weight, then I had surgery and my oxygen wouldn't stay up the whole day/night at the hospital. Meds never did that to me before. I'm not going to worry though, unless I get to breathing so bad, I can't take it anymore. I had pluersy I guess, I just never got over the pain from that. I start seeing a rhematologist in April too, they will probably be give me a good check up..

Comment

• KatieB
            ICN Member
            • Oct 2010

I'm just going to add my humble opinion. Several years ago I had excruciating back pain. My PCP said it was muscle strain and gave me muscle relaxers. When after weeks I still couldn't walk upright I went to an Ortho. I found out I had a herniated disc and needed surgery. Please follow thru and don't wait til surgery is your only option. When my PCP told me it was muscles I believed her because it felt like muscles. What didn't make sense was the leg pain, which should've signaled nerve problems. But when it didn't get better I took it into my own hands and found out (thru MRI) that it wouldn't get better on the course I was on. I'm NOT saying you have a herniated disc, but if it's not getting better then that's worrisome. Take care of yourself!!!
            Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
            Lexapro-20 mg
            Aciphex
            Ambien-as needed
            Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
            Valium-10 mg x2 per day
            Phenergan-1 at night
            Prelief w/everything
            Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
            Heating pad
            Hot baths
            Ice
            Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

• bladderpain451
              ICN Member
              • Dec 2009

I didn't know what it was, my PT said it was muscle, and said I had restriction in my spine, and a vertebrae he put back into place a couple of times. My PCP thought it might be cervical strain but it wasn't. 2 weeks ago, I layed down on a mattress with springs in it, woke up with one sticking up the mattress into my back, that tells me it has to be muscle related. Besides, my pain radiates upwards. Pain from herniated discs radiates downward, especially into your leg. I called 911 and went to the ER after crying my eyes out again, vomitting blood again, I took a good dose of Ambien and just decided it's time to go to the hospital if I am resorting to that. They did blood work and a urinalysis for my ulcer and back pain if that makes any sense at all and send me home with Lortab (what's making my belly pain worse) and carafate claiming that will stop the Lortab pain to my ulcer. I also got a GI drink there. He said he was going to scan my ulcer, didn't bother. When I got home, I vomitted again. I feel better because of the ambien I took, not because of a thing they did for me. My blood pressure's been elevated last couple of times I saw my doctor. The ambulance driver said I had several long heart bigeminal rhythms, put me on oxygen, and it stopped, but I do have PVC's, and he felt concerned enough to repeadedly tell them, they didn't do a thing. I told them my gastroenterologist wanted me in the ER a couple of weeks ago for vomitting up green stuff and blood to see the gastroenterologist there. I did not get to see the gastro at all. I can't even begin to believe that health care.

Comment

• KatieB
                ICN Member
                • Oct 2010

I'm so sorry. Sounds like a bunch of monkeys running the ER. That's comforting. I hope the carafate works for you. If you take it, try to take it about 15 min before you take the pain meds (if you decide to try that again). Give it a little time to work. I think I've had that drink. Did it kind of make your tongue numb? They called it some kind of a "cocktail". They only give it in the hospital, I think. Which is a shame because that really helped my stomach pain. Although I did have trouble keeping it down. But I was loaded up with IV zofran so I managed to keep it down. But it was a fight. Do you have anything for nausea? Sometimes I just can't swallow the pills so I use phenergan suppositories. It does relax my stomach and helps me get some rest. So I usually take them at night. I'm thinking of you, honey. I so understand the stomach problems and have been lucky to find some things that work for me. I started taking Aciphex last spring while I was in the hospital. It has really helped. But, I still have pain and vomiting. I can't really tie it to my meds. It just comes and goes as it pleases. I truly hope you find something to help with all your problems. It sucks so bad when everything falls apart at the same time. Let me know if I can help.

I just reread your post. I have a cervical herniated disc and my pain is in my upper back/neck and moves to my shoulder and sometimes down into my arm. It didn't feel like my disc in my lower back and was only found thru MRI when I was having excruciating migraines. I get injections in my disc every 3-4 months which totally takes care of that pain. I understand loving your doctor but sometimes it's good and even necessary to get a 2nd opinion (which you're obviously not going to get from the ER). Just something to think about.
                Last edited by KatieB; 01-15-2011, 02:50 PM.
                Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
                Lexapro-20 mg
                Aciphex
                Ambien-as needed
                Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                Phenergan-1 at night
                Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
                Hot baths
                Ice

Comment

• bladderpain451
                  ICN Member
                  • Dec 2009

Thanks, I really don't like that particular ER doctor anyways. They wouldn't even send the gastro in to see me on doctors orders. He's the jerk that told me before not to come to the ER for chronic pain. I am going to have my pcp do the proper scan on my back, if it will show muscle strains. I am not willing to deal with it anymore, it's too painful. And I don't want to stay on narcotics all of the time because of it. MRI will take 3 mths to approve even if they do, they denied it once for my liver tumors to evaluate for cancer. Very stupid insurance.

Comment

• ICNDonna
                    ICN Staff
                    • Mar 2000

Most insurances will pay for an MRI in the presence of severe back pain, especially if other tests have already been done.

Donna
                    Stay safe

[3MG]

Comment

• bladderpain451
                      ICN Member
                      • Dec 2009

Well he can try, if they don't approve it, they can do a CT. I'm not sure I should even ask though where I have fibromyalgia & MCTD. I am going to bring it up to my doctor and let him decide what is best. This morning I woke up with my tooth infected again and I had so much pain on the side of my neck, worse than my back pain ever imagined being, I got through it but I don't really know how, but it kind of makes me really wonder if he does scan it, if anything will even show up. I'm getting short breaks from the pain being extreme, but it's more than I can handle, and I told that ER doctor that last night. I'm vomitting regularly now, I can't eat. I don't understand why they wouldn't run any tests or admit me. I wouldn't even be puking blood from the ulcer if my dentist would have listened to me when I said I can't take NSAID's for the pain. I was a mess until they gave me cleoncin strong enough to kill the pain. I kept telling them my tummy was hurting and I needed something different, but it didn't matter, he called in a prescription for Ibuprofen after I told them that several times.

Comment

• KatieB
                        ICN Member
                        • Oct 2010

If you're vomiting blood you need to go back to the ER.
                        Lexapro-20 mg
                        Aciphex
                        Ambien-as needed
                        Valium-10 mg x2 per day
                        Phenergan-1 at night
                        Prelief w/everything

Heating pad
                        Hot baths
                        Ice

Comment

• bladderpain451
                          ICN Member
                          • Dec 2009

I already went to the ER, they knew I had been vomitting blood and other stuff up. They did blood work and a urinalysis. I guess they checked me for anemia, but they didn't scan the ulcer. I've made it through the day, I really don't know how I did, not without severe suffering, but I'll be okay, I'll see my doctor in the morning, and he will take care of this for me. I'm feeling a little better tonight too.

Comment

• bladderpain451
                            ICN Member
                            • Dec 2009

A muscle isn't going to bring on neuropathic pain is it? I am burning really bad in my back, numb, tingling is all over but i especially feel it there too, maybe it is a disc herniation. I thought maybe i had nerve disease, i bet it's my spine. Did you all have any of these symptoms?

Comment

• ICNDonna
                              ICN Staff
                              • Mar 2000

A herniated disc can cause tingling; mine caused mostly pain across my shoulders and down my arms --- it was a disc in my neck. You really need to see your doctor.

Donna
                              Stay safe

[3MG]

Comment

Working...