How do I know if IBS or Crohn's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know if IBS or Crohn's?

I came across the term "Crohn's Disease" today and looked it up. The symptoms all look the same as IBS. Are there any differences between the symptoms I'm not aware of? I was diagnosed with IBS pretty much just from the symptoms. I had urine, stool, and blood tests I think, but nothing else. Are there other tests I should ask for? And if a doc could do that, would it even make a difference as far as treatment and meds?

Normally to rule out Chrons they need to do a Colonoscopy (not much fun).

As far as different symptoms...normally Blood in stools, and ather discolorations in stool are not seen in IBS. Such symptoms can mean Chrons or colitis.

It definatly would make a difference in treatmentand meds. You can have both ( like me) Have you seen a gastroenterologist. I sugest a colonoscopy since most reatments for IBS would help Chrons colitis symptoms too (other than blood loss) and the only way to be sure is a colonoscopy.

Feel free to private message me if you have more questions.
    This is something you should talk to your doctor about.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back!

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

[email protected] please contact me...I am here to help!

Comment

Crohns and IBS have similarities but they're very different. You would need to have a colonoscopy to see what's going on in your intestines - IBS does not cause inflammation whereas Crohns causes inflammation and ulcerations. My dr said IBS should not wake you up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, where Crohns does. Crohns causes fever and weight loss, IBS does not... there's lots of differences. Crohns is a chronic disease. Diet plays a major part in IBS, Crohns can be affected with diet but it won't worsen (ulcerations) and there is no specific diet to follow. I could keep going

I was first told by my Uro & PCP that I probably had IBS since it's related to IC & was told to take Benefiber which made me worse. I then went to a GI and got diagnosed.

Good information:
      Crohns: http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00104
      IBS: http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00106

Comment

No, I haven't had a colonoscopy yet. I hope to see a doc soon about that, though. Interesting to know about diet for each disease. While very rich or fatty foods are almost always bad, I haven't found a single safe food that never makes me sick. I can eat plain white rice and get the runs. And fiber either makes things worse or doesn't change anything. Keeping the size of my meals down helps in that I don't always have to run to the bathroom right after the meal. For larger meals, I just drank one alcoholic drink which slowed things down, but that's off the list now that I am on a strict IC diet.

Comment

My IBS turned out to be gluten intolerance. You may want to check in to that as well. Just a thought. Praying that you find good, solid answers to your problems. Blessings of peace and mercy to you.
          Carolyn

Surviving And Thriving By God's Grace

Comment

You've gotten great advice. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms. You will likely need a fecal occult blood test (to see if there is blood in your poop) and a colonoscopy to see if it is Chrohn's Disease. If both are negative, then it could be IBS or like csocain said, it could even be celiac disease (an intolerance to wheat gluten) or something like lactose intolerance.

Definitely speak to your doctor -- the sooner you know, the sooner you can get on the proper meds and diet to control the symptoms
            Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
            *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
            *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
            *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Pain, that is the biggest difference. I have Crohn's, and I also have IBS and I can tell you that the pain from a crohn's attack is the most painful, awful thing I have ever been through.

I have cramps and gas pains from IBS, but the pain from Crohns is almost indescribable. It comes and goes and right now I am in remission and hope to stay that way. Whats nutty is that I have IBS constipation, so when I'm not having Crohn's trouble, I can barely even have a bm, but when the Crohns hits, I can not stop going!

I tested positive for Celiac Disease by bloodwork, but positive for Crohn's in the biopsies taken during the colonscopy---I'm a freak of nature lol.
              *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
              *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
              *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Re: How do I know if IBS or Crohn's?

What crohn meds do u take?

Comment

Working...
                X